997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tarett Lower Rear Control Arm ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017 | 02:27 AM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Default Tarett Lower Rear Control Arm ???

Long story short, installing Eibach lowering springs and new exhaust headers this weekend.

Based on advice from Rennlist, I purchased a pair of Tarett "Adjustable Lower Rear Control Arms (http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...4#ITEM_1894987) in order to maintain rear-alignment adjustability.

Currently, headers are off, mufflers are off, wheels are off, old control arms are off...started to install in reverse order and I can't get the control arm to sit in the wheel carrier far enough to get the nut on.

Upon closer inspection, the control arm threading isn't long enough.

Am I missing something? Tarett shows only one part number for all 986/987/996/997...

Working on contacting Tarett and Pelican (placed my order through them), but it's the weekend so you guys get to hear from me first.

Cheers.
Old 05-20-2017 | 09:14 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

The control arm will insert all the way down to the rubber boot. The smooth part of the bolt is actually tapered. Push down a little on the rubber and you can see it better. That taper needs to insert into the knuckle. Sometimes new ball joints are stiff making it difficult to get the angle just right for it to smoothly insert. Try unbolting the control arm from the frame, loosely inserting the ball joint at the knuckle to get the nut on, reconnect the frame side, then tighten everything to spec.

If that doesn't work contact Ira at Tarett. He's awesome to work with and will get it right. And he does answer emails on the weekend, even has Sat hours if I remember correctly. There's always an oddball chance you received the wrong part by mistake.
Old 05-20-2017 | 11:17 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Semicycler is spot on as usual. Look at the photo of your ball joint. You can see where the shiny part of the metal ends and just below that, but still above the rubber is less shiny metal. This is the transition point from the part that was in the arm to the part that wasn't. It's just not aligned properly to slip up and all the way in.
Old 05-20-2017 | 05:14 PM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

False alarm; I'm just an idiot. Had it adjust a bit short so the flare wouldn't fit.

Much appreciated!!!

Quick Reply: Tarett Lower Rear Control Arm ???