Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recon for Bend > Mt Hood (road trip :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 11:53 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,200 Likes on 767 Posts

An incredible drive that, once done, made us wish for more time to turn around and go back in the other direction.

Amazing changes in views and geography from bend to bend. I kept asking myself which state we were in.

Just a few shots attached (mostly trimmed down, through the windshield, from the phone cradle) ... the better shots exceed the 5 Meg limit and there is just so much I'm doing from my phone interface 8( Additionally, from small thumbshots, I may be putting some in here that need to be thrown out. Apologies in advance to you photographers 8) These shots are to give you an idea ... and some incentive if needed.
Attached Images           
Old 05-25-2017, 01:40 PM
ronvanr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I grew up in Oregon. Every time I visit home, I wish I had my Porsche with me. Lots of great roads, like the ones you are showing, to drive on.

Keep the photos coming!
Old 05-26-2017, 03:34 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
An incredible drive that, once done, made us wish for more time to turn around and go back in the other direction.

Amazing changes in views and geography from bend to bend. I kept asking myself which state we were in.

Just a few shots attached (mostly trimmed down, through the windshield, from the phone cradle) ... the better shots exceed the 5 Meg limit and there is just so much I'm doing from my phone interface 8( Additionally, from small thumbshots, I may be putting some in here that need to be thrown out. Apologies in advance to you photographers 8) These shots are to give you an idea ... and some incentive if needed.
I will say that I haven't seen the desert this green in many years! Of course, I was cursing the daily snow that made it possible just 2 weeks ago.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:41 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by david
PS We met Scott (raidersfan) and his 6 year old son for dinner at Kebaba which was a treat as Scott's son was the person that introduced him to Porsches! So I guess that he will inherit the C4, right Scott?!

I expect that our paths will cross again...great time with wonderful people = the power of RL & Porsche ownership!
Thanks guys! I really enjoyed it, and my son was definitely excited to see 2 Porsche's next to each other. I tow him around town behind my bicycle in the Burley trailer, and he can pick out a P-car (even the ubiquitous Macan and Cayenne) 1/2 a mile away, excitedly screaming "hey Papa, look, Porsche!". When you guys pulled away, he was riveted by the glorious flat-6 sound. Goosebumps for both of us every time.

Not sure I want him learning a manual on this car, however. By then, it might be the only 6MT around! Most of my employees (high schoolers and college kids) have never driven a manual. It's quite sad how automobile culture is quickly disappearing.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:59 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,200 Likes on 767 Posts

A few last shots. Four days, 1700 miles, many many twisties, absolutely incredible views, great people, great times. Now to figure out the next trip ...
Attached Images        
Old 06-04-2017, 08:10 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

After experiencing major wide open road withdrawals upon return with Wayne to the North Bay (via US 97 > I5 > Bunny Flat Mt Shasta > I5 > CA 20W to Ukiah and US 101S > home), more than a week has passed since we've been back.

Reflecting on this latest road trip, I've determined that for me, the 997 is the finest on-road road-trip vehicle! Sharing the miles in the 997 with my daughter made the trip even more special!

I've been fortunate to travel throughout the West and much of the balance of NA, EU and Asia, and I've determined that the roads like the ones around Bend are just about ideal for the type of driving I prefer (long-distance high-speed, rolling, rising, falling-off, winding, up/down...etc.). While I'm not complaining about the roads in my backyard, they do pale vis-a-vis those in Eastern Oregon.

I do hope to get back there soon...

PS More pics to follow.

PSS I replaced the Bend > Bend map above; it can also be located at the following map: https://goo.gl/nMPYVl
One note re this route: the Antelope > Shaniko section was supposed to be very special but this short section in comparison to the hundreds of miles that preceded it!
Old 06-04-2017, 08:33 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

PS We found some very passable Mexican food at the CA / OR border in the tiny town of Doris at El Ranchito...
Attached Images         
Old 12-27-2017, 07:29 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts

Hey David, beautiful pics, i think i just bought your old 964 from a gentleman in SF. Took a trip with it from SF to LA via PCH, was a beautiful drive! amazing car!

Here is my thread with more pics, if you want to see what i'm pretty sure maybe your old car but with diff wheels

​​​​​​https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...nice-pics.html
Old 12-28-2017, 12:09 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Tarek307
Hey David, beautiful pics, i think i just bought your old 964 from a gentleman in SF. Took a trip with it from SF to LA via PCH, was a beautiful drive! amazing car!

Here is my thread with more pics, if you want to see what i'm pretty sure maybe your old car but with diff wheels

​​​​​​https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...nice-pics.html
Congrats on the 964! It actually wasn't mine: I was just assisting my non-RL-member friend to sell her. Let me know if you want to hook up with him and I'll connect you guys.

I have driven that 964 and liked it but felt that some suspension updates were warranted. Has someone gotten into her and made some refreshes?

Quick Reply: Recon for Bend > Mt Hood (road trip :)