Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF?? 997.2 C4S clutch baked @ 16K miles???

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 09:35 AM
cosanchez
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with platinium997. Thank the dealer for their time, smile, tell them to make money on someone else, and take it to a good Indy. Your going to save a lot of money going that route. It's a long shot for Porsche to give you a discount on a clutch job.

upside in this is you now have a relationship with an Indy and you can save money on all your future work

as a ref point my pressure plate broke at approx 28k . 2k into to my ownership...probably didn't make me as angry as you are. But I was still passed.....but driving my car cured my anger pretty quick

Tim.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:46 AM
AutobahnIstLieb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
That's bad luck, nothing more , nothing less. Original owner probably rode the clutch, or dumping the clutch too often. Does past service show any clutch defects ?

Wear items are usually not covered, hoping the dealer that sold you the car will help you towards parts costs.

Good Luck !
No clutch work in any of the past records. Again, this car had 4,000 miles on it when I bought it. The previous owner must have seriously abused that clutch.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:48 AM
AutobahnIstLieb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mreloc
Good luck, but I wouldn't hold out much hope. I don't think CPO inspections include inspecting the clutch, only if it's operating as intended at the time they inspect it. If you feel confident the dealer is going to go to bat for you with PCNA- then go that route. Otherwise, I'd find a good indy and forego the dealer's premium hourly rate. What part of Cali?
I think you're right. I'm in Encino. Usually seen slightly exceeding the posted speed limit very early in the morning on Mulholland, Decker, Encinal, and Cold Canyon most weekends.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:51 AM
AutobahnIstLieb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cosanchez
I'm with platinium997. Thank the dealer for their time, smile, tell them to make money on someone else, and take it to a good Indy. Your going to save a lot of money going that route. It's a long shot for Porsche to give you a discount on a clutch job.

upside in this is you now have a relationship with an Indy and you can save money on all your future work

as a ref point my pressure plate broke at approx 28k . 2k into to my ownership...probably didn't make me as angry as you are. But I was still passed.....but driving my car cured my anger pretty quick

Tim.
Good point, except I need to have all the CPO work done at Porsche. They've already got the tranny out... I'm gonna cry.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:59 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 876 Posts

Originally Posted by AutobahnIstLieb
Good point, except I need to have all the CPO work done at Porsche. They've already got the tranny out... I'm gonna cry.
Did you ask them to share the cost with you? My local P-dealer does this quite a bit so I am told.... should you be a "good customer".

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-19-2017, 12:22 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

You can try at least, when I had the starter to battery cables replaced I tried to get PCNA to at least pay for the cables and me the labor, no deal though. Thats even though they knew it was a problem and covered it in cars under warranty.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:11 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

O/P -since they already have you by the short and curlies, get in to the shop and take a look at what they are doing. Get them to show you the problem. I find seeing and touching an invisible expense, eases some of financial pain.

And, keep the parts. In a year, when you have moved that dirty dusty box, and you're pissed at all your clutter. Cleaning up will make you happy again.
Or, at least, that is how my therapist explains it to me.
(aka- my indy)

Good news on you using your dealer. They should be offering you a good warranty on the parts and work. And you now have someone to yell at.
Take it for a test drive before paying.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:03 PM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

During my Porsche selling days we had a couple take a new convert. out for a spin. We got a call that they had trouble, went out to see what was going on. They had fried the clutch during their ride
Old 05-19-2017, 02:35 PM
DC911S
Drifting

http://jalopnik.com/im-a-mom-who-dri...-yo-1794999732

Well if people do as she suggests...you fry the clutch pretty quickly.....this is a terrible suggestion, ride the clutch on a hill and not use the brake.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:22 PM
AutobahnIstLieb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Linnm
During my Porsche selling days we had a couple take a new convert. out for a spin. We got a call that they had trouble, went out to see what was going on. They had fried the clutch during their ride
OMG that's hilarious. Must've let the woman drive.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:29 PM
AutobahnIstLieb
Intermediate

Thanks everybody for the suggestions.

I just got a call from the dealer. They pulled the tranny, photographed everything and sent it to PNA. Porsche will supply the parts, I'm on the hook for the labor. The reason they are doing this is because there are no hotspots on the clutch or flywheel which would indicate recent abuse. So, IOW, they are acknowledging that I did not do this... yet they are still happy to let me pay up to $1700 in labor. I guess I should be happy that they are meeting me more than half way as the parts alone are just over $3K - that's clutch, flywheel, seals, throwout bearing, etc..

Bah.

Have a great weekend, I'll be back in my baby on Monday
Old 05-19-2017, 03:42 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Well looks like a fair deal to me....you get all new clutch parts, and it adds up like you said once you do the slave cylinder and bearing, flywheel, friction plate, pressure plate, fluid....This is a good outcome.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:57 PM
AutobahnIstLieb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DC911S
Well looks like a fair deal to me....you get all new clutch parts, and it adds up like you said once you do the slave cylinder and bearing, flywheel, friction plate, pressure plate, fluid....This is a good outcome.
Yes and no. I guess I understand Porsche's position - that it was not a defective part. But at the same time they gave the vehicle their seal of approval which played a major role in my buying decision. Technically under the terms of the CPO, they didn't have to do anything. But when you are selling cars to enthusiasts in excess of $100K, I'd hope they'd see the wisdom behind a little flexibility in their policies.

Just really bummed that they need to keep it over the weekend, this one is going to be epic here in SoCal.

Cheers.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:14 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Well if it was 100K or more..then it would be a new car and the repair probably would have been totally covered.....it's what can happen when you buy a used car....granted it's the fancy CPO name....but its still a used car in the end, and things do break.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:58 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 250 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by AutobahnIstLieb
Thanks everybody for the suggestions.

I just got a call from the dealer. They pulled the tranny, photographed everything and sent it to PNA. Porsche will supply the parts, I'm on the hook for the labor. The reason they are doing this is because there are no hotspots on the clutch or flywheel which would indicate recent abuse. So, IOW, they are acknowledging that I did not do this... yet they are still happy to let me pay up to $1700 in labor. I guess I should be happy that they are meeting me more than half way as the parts alone are just over $3K - that's clutch, flywheel, seals, throwout bearing, etc..

Bah.

Have a great weekend, I'll be back in my baby on Monday
IMHO that suggests the clutch was just defective. Hot spots would not have gone away with you driving the car. In fact the clutch would have been grabby as the hot spots are hard spots and have a different coefficient of friction.

At least you are doing better than I. My 2003 Turbo rear view mirror developed a leak. I bought a new one at the dealer and had it installed at the dealer. 25.5 months later the replacement mirror developed a leak. I asked PCNA for some goodwill and got nada.

Quick Reply: WTF?? 997.2 C4S clutch baked @ 16K miles???