Sponsored by:

Buy a new 997? (crazy, I know)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 11:36 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts
Default Buy a new 997? (crazy, I know)

I owned three 996s and now several 991s (and a GT4). But I never owned a 997, which is sad, because it is actually my favorite water-cooled generation (I've driven many 997s owned by friends). I had returned to academia during the 997 years and, as I'm sure some of you know, academic salaries typically do not afford expensive toys. So I completely missed out on the 997 generation. I had a chance to buy a leftover 2012 GTS but instead bought my first 991, probably my biggest car decision regret of all time. My question is: Is it possible to buy a new 997? Maybe from a collection? I'd be interested in a CS, C4S, GTS, or 4GTS coupe, 6-speed only (my only two requirements -- 6MT coupe). Any thoughts or suggestions? If it is impossible to buy a new one, how close to new could one get? Feel free to tell me I'm nuts for even asking, but nothing ventured nothing gained. If you have a suggestion or lead and can post here or shoot me a quick PM, I'd appreciate it!
Old 05-14-2017, 12:59 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
I owned three 996s and now several 991s (and a GT4). But I never owned a 997, which is sad, because it is actually my favorite water-cooled generation (I've driven many 997s owned by friends). I had returned to academia during the 997 years and, as I'm sure some of you know, academic salaries typically do not afford expensive toys. So I completely missed out on the 997 generation. I had a chance to buy a leftover 2012 GTS but instead bought my first 991, probably my biggest car decision regret of all time. My question is: Is it possible to buy a new 997? Maybe from a collection? I'd be interested in a CS, C4S, GTS, or 4GTS coupe, 6-speed only (my only two requirements -- 6MT coupe). Any thoughts or suggestions? If it is impossible to buy a new one, how close to new could one get? Feel free to tell me I'm nuts for even asking, but nothing ventured nothing gained. If you have a suggestion or lead and can post here or shoot me a quick PM, I'd appreciate it!
I'd be nervous buying a 5+ Year old car with no miles. Plus, buying a collector quality / retail version now means I would take the first depreciation hit. IMO, you could avoid all of that getting a weekend driven one.

Alternately, you CAN still get almost new GT variants (gt2/gt3/rs). A decent selection of cars available with very few miles.

-td

Last edited by himself; 05-14-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:53 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
if he nervous buying a 5+ Year old car with no miles. Plus, buying a collector quality / retail version now means I would take the first depreciation hit. IMO, you could avoid all of that getting a weekend driven one.

Alternately, you CAN still get almost new GT variants (gt2/gt3/rs). A decent selection of cars available with very few miles.

-td
+1 Don't buy a garage queen for all of the reasons stated by the posters. Unless you intend for it to remain a garage queen. Your best bet is to buy a car in the 30-50k miles range that has full records attesting to maintenance and repairs. Have a full PPI done on the car including a paint thickness test even though the Carfax may be clean.

If you manage to put about 5k per year on the car, then you are probably 5 to 10 years away from needing anything major such as a clutch. Of course, you should insist on doing a IMS bearing conversion if one has not been done.

Or, buy a turbo that doesn't have the same designed IMS bearing since the engine block is basically the same as a 993 block.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:28 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 91 Posts

Seems to me a low mileage unit like this would be the best you could do
https://www.porschewestlake.com/certified/Porsche/2012-Porsche-911-for-sale-los-angeles-498fd9430a0e0ae977ebaf79c451b5ed.htm

BTW, affiliated as I bought my GTS from them.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:55 PM
Raffey1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well there is this one on autotrader
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...modelCode1=911
Sorry, just realized you said coupe ---this one looks nice:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...modelCode1=911
Old 05-14-2017, 07:05 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I have purchased very low mileage older cars a couple of times now and in both instances I did not have any issues....and one of them was a 928!

You do want to make sure the car has had its fluids changed as recommended including oil and brakes. I would also assume it will need new tires immediately if it's still wearing the originals.

Good luck with your search.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:11 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

You should be able to find a like-new 997. After buying, owning, and selling cars for decades now, I tend to think that "track record" and how well the car was cared for are more important than mileage. Some brand new cars are complete lemons and distasters (not common with the Porsche brand), and others have hundreds of thousands of miles without any major repairs. You can probably find a beatlutiful example that was treated well and also has a track record of simple or non-existent repairs. You'll end up with a great car at a huge discount.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:30 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you wanna get it out of your system, I say go for it. But I think you will end up keeping it longer than you think. Its a great car. I havent meet many people who bought a 997 and just decided to dump it because they didnt like it.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:33 PM
apperception
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 997 in Academia?

I'm happily ensconced in academia. Bought a 964 six years ago for 17K. Sold it for a bunch more (first time I've ever done that) and bought an 06 C2S (Seal over Cocoa with Fabspeed exhaust & intake). 88K miles for 32K. It's been great and I'm in for Honda Accord money. I'm very pleased.

Larry
Professor of Psychology
Old 05-17-2017, 09:36 AM
Frank996

Received 146 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by earossi
...Of course, you should insist on doing a IMS bearing conversion if one has not been done.
... but only if you get a first gen 997.

Don't believe the 9A1 have any of the same problems as the first gen 997's as it's a different design?

Quick Reply: Buy a new 997? (crazy, I know)