Sponsored by:

Drove a base 991 7MT today; 997.2 C4 comparo

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 12:28 AM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Drove a base 991 7MT today; 997.2 C4 comparo

The base 991.1 7MT is damn hard to find for a test drive! I finally found one, a 2015 with almost no miles, and spent a good 30 minutes in it. The last 911 I have spent seat time in is a 997.2 C4 6MT base, with upgraded Bilsteins. I wanted to post this in case people are cross-shopping, now that prices are leveling on the 997.2 and dropping close to $60k territory on the 991.

Obviously, the .2 C4 has a bit different feel than a 991 base. The 991 feels more composed in the tail, less "hang it out there" like the .2 does. The C4 is obviously a different feel as the front wheels pull the car through the corner. On the base 991 C2, the engine feels almost center-mounted, and it is a lot more predictable closer to the limit. Very easy to drive. The 991 was much more comfortable and composed. The 977.2 is a bit wild in comparison, you feel everything, know exactly what is going on, but it won't be as fast. The 991 will make you feel better than you are. Steering feel: definitely 997.2.

Interior-wise, I didn't notice much of a difference. This is a sports car after all, both interiors seemed to be basic but work well enough. Lots of buttons. Maybe some care about interior design on a 911, but I am not one of those.

Rev-matching was a bit annoying, took some getting used to on the 991. The .2 has SC, but not rev-matching that can be engaged on the 991.

Clutch feel: the 7MT is easier and lighter weight than the 6MT. 6MT feels like a more positive engagement, more old school, and more fun to shift.

Engine power: it was a wash really. If the 991 feels faster, it is likely due to lighter weight, not more power. Both are more than adequate. I have driven a 991 C2S, a 997 GTS, and a 997 Turbo. They all make great power, but the base certainly doesn't leave me wanting in either of these models. There are plenty of cars out there with more power regardless; my wife's M4 blows these 2 away, even as a 6MT.

Overall fun to drive: no question, the 997.2 has it in spades. It feels more raw, easier to get closer to the limit, more feedback, smaller, more sporty. The 991 is faster, sure, but doesn't feel that way. This is a road review though. At the track, where limits of the car can be more easily approached, I bet the 991 is more fun. On a public road though, it almost feels like "too much" car.

I suppose given the price difference between a 997.2 C2 and a 991 C2 (with similar miles) being $20,000, there is no doubt that the 997.2 represents the better value for the enthusiast. The 991 would get my vote as a chill DD with tons of capability, or if you were to really push it at the track. It is a very capable car, but almost too friendly for a sports car. It doesn't feel as rewarding to drive somehow. I initially expected to the 991 to be just as fun, simply a different flavor, but that really wasn't the case. It isn't just the larger "feel" in size: it is something about the car lacking character or emotion. I enjoy driving my wife's M4 (with upgraded M exhaust and suspension): the car really comes to life, and it isn't so buttoned down that you can't get it into hairy situations once in awhile (she doesn't give passenger warnings before she gets the car sideways in the roundabouts) and it does retain a bit of rawness and a sense of "I am driving a real car here". The 991 is somehow lacking that; you have to push it so hard to tax it. Perhaps the GTS 991 is that car, I don't know. I would still buy a 991 at the right price, and drive the heck out of it, but the 997.2 would be my choice given current pricing.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:11 AM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Cool review. Thx for sharing.

Quick Reply: Drove a base 991 7MT today; 997.2 C4 comparo