Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 Road Ettiquete: To Wave or Not to Wave?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 08:44 PM
AutobahnIstLieb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by North Shore 911
So it's the first REALLY nice weekend of the season here in Chicago, and all the nice cars are out on the road today. In running my youngest son around town this morning, then stopping for a hand wash for my filthy C4S Cab, I saw a fairly sizable population of P cars on the road and decided to experiment with the Porsche crowd. I waved at every Porsche I saw this morning, and to my surprise, the ONLY crowd that waved back was the 911 crowd .

Panameras, Cayennes and Caymans (I didn't see any Boxters) ALL gave me the cold shoulder, whereas all the 911's waved back. And not just the 997 crowd, but I also got entusiatastic waves from the 991's and even a sweet 993 Cab. At the risk of starting another thread on this topic, it really made me wonder if that was just my relatively small sample size (10 P cars in total), or if this is the same for others. Is this your general experience as well, or did I just happen to run into the really unhappy non-911 crowd this morning ...?
I've got it dialed - two flashes and then a cool two finger wave low on the door as we meet... Has to be done. HAS TO. Only 911s, however. I tried once to a Cayman and i just felt gross after.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:18 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 133 Posts

So was at a local pca event this evening and the president was walking around showing people the proper porsche wave. I thought it was interesting given this thread.

Wave on....
Old 05-18-2017, 11:32 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by platinum997
So was at a local pca event this evening and the president was walking around showing people the proper porsche wave. I thought it was interesting given this thread.

Wave on....
Platinum, don't leave us hanging ..... what exactly IS the proper Porsche wave as ? Is it:
1) The subtle finger raise from the steering wheel?
2) Flash of the lights?
3) A casual "'Sup" nod of the head?
4) A biker-like low finger throw?
5) Other?

I love the fact that the PCA President is actively encouraging us to recognize each other on the road, I just wanna make sure that I'm doing it the officially-sanctioned way
Old 05-19-2017, 12:21 AM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 133 Posts

You gotta be in the club man... I was sworn in by some flat 6 gods that rode in on unicorn 356's.

So no mention of flashing lights.. I forgot to ask though.

With your hands in the proper locations on the wheel, raise only your fingers on your left hand while still leaving your palm and thumb on the wheel.

Last edited by platinum997; 05-19-2017 at 04:36 AM.

Quick Reply: 911 Road Ettiquete: To Wave or Not to Wave?