Sponsored by:

The heated seats in the 991

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017 | 04:27 PM
Moataz Emam
AutoX

Default The heated seats in the 991

Hi all
I am in the process of purchasing a 2006 997. I just had it inspected and there are some minor things that the dealer will look further into. One of them is that the heated seats don't work. The dealer is "guessing" that heated seats in this model don't work unless the temperature outside is cold. Right now it is 75. He says that we won't know for sure until the winter. Doesn't make sense to me, anyone know anything about this.
ps: Not a deal breaker for me, I can live without the heated seats or fix them later, just curious.
Old 05-11-2017 | 04:41 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Sounds like a load of bull💩hit to me, but I don't know the answer. Will they fix it if it doesn't work in the future?
Old 05-11-2017 | 04:44 PM
Moataz Emam
AutoX

Originally Posted by Austin997.2
Sounds like a load of bull💩hit to me, but I don't know the answer. Will they fix it if it doesn't work in the future?

No they won't, I am on my own
Old 05-11-2017 | 04:47 PM
wportervt
Advanced

The heated seats in my 2006 997 are definitely NOT temperature dependant. I press the button to turn them on and they heat up, regardless of the ambient temperature. If yours are not warming up there is something wrong.
Old 05-11-2017 | 04:49 PM
Moataz Emam
AutoX

Originally Posted by Austin997.2
Originally Posted by wportervt
The heated seats in my 2006 997 are definitely NOT temperature dependant. I press the button to turn them on and they heat up, regardless of the ambient temperature. If yours are not warming up there is something wrong.

That's what I am thinking. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2017 | 06:41 PM
Iceter
Drifting

My best friend bought a certified used Jaguar many years ago. He took it into the dealer because his seat heater wouldn't work. They called him and told him that the driver's seat that the factory installed was a non-heated seat. The car was supposed to have heated seats and had two switches, but the power wire from the car just didn't plug into anything because the seat had no heating element.

My buddy said, fine, it's under warranty, go ahead and fix it.

So, weeks go by while Jaguar orders the seat and waits for it to come from wherever.

When he goes to pick it up, they presented him with a bill for a couple grand and proceed to tell him that even though the car was set up for heated seats, the passenger seat was heated and the original invoice listed heated seats, the car had come from the factory without a driver's side heated seat, so it wasn't covered under his warranty.

Needless to say, the issue was elevated to corporate and eventually, Jaguar let him take the car home without having to pay for the seat he should have always had.

Not only a funny story, but another reason to not buy from a Leith dealership.
Old 05-11-2017 | 07:03 PM
Linnm
Pro

Your dealer is obviously not a Porsche dealer. This is a subtle message to you that they aren't going to be of any assistance to you should trouble arise Move out of there fast.
Old 05-11-2017 | 09:18 PM
Iceter
Drifting

The whole "I won't know until winter comes" is possibly the lamest response I've ever heard from a car dealer.

The seats, by the way, don't have any sophisticated thermostats that only allow them to work when it's cold outside. That's ridiculous and AFAIK, no car on the planet has such an option.

It may be a simple fix, but don't trust this joker to do it. In fact, don't trust him at all. What that really translates into is "Buy it, then GTFO and never come back."
Old 05-12-2017 | 10:40 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Total crap. I live in AZ and upon occasion will use the heated seats therapeutically to help warm up my back. When it's 105 outside...
Old 05-12-2017 | 01:45 PM
Instructor

heated seats work at all times-there is no temp dependency.

I just went through getting my 997 drivers side heated seat fixed-

it turned out to be a bad heating element. it was covered under my warranty-but I can tell you that this can get expensive if you go to a dealer
Old 05-12-2017 | 01:51 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

+ 1 million (for the 1 millionth 911 rolling off the assembly line)

Originally Posted by wportervt
Old 05-12-2017 | 03:14 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Did you check the heating plugs under the seats? They can pop off when the carpets are vacuumed.

Even if they look to be connected pull them off and reconnect. That got mine going, thanks to a suggestion a member made to me a few years back.
Old 05-12-2017 | 03:18 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Iceter
The whole "I won't know until winter comes" is possibly the lamest response I've ever heard from a car dealer.

The seats, by the way, don't have any sophisticated thermostats that only allow them to work when it's cold outside. That's ridiculous and AFAIK, no car on the planet has such an option.

It may be a simple fix, but don't trust this joker to do it. In fact, don't trust him at all. What that really translates into is "Buy it, then GTFO and never come back."
There are cars where the seat heaters can only be turned in and will work when ambient temperature is below a certain threshold,so the dealer isn't completely full of sh--, they just don't know that 997s don't have this circuitry. If you want an example, my 90 Saab Turbo SPG was one such vehicle where seat heaters only worked when it was below something like 50F outside. In addition, although the passenger seat was also heated, it only had 1 heat setting (vs the driver's 3) and it would only come on if the driver's seat was turned on - that's a whole lot of circuitry for something as simple as heated seats.
Old 05-12-2017 | 04:05 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Well, that's what I get for throwing out absolutes. There actually is a car with a seat heater that won't work when it's hot.

In my defense, Saabs are weird.
Old 05-12-2017 | 04:18 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Iceter

In my defense, Saabs are weird.
What do you mean, having the ignition key in the console where the e-brake handle is seems totally normal. Add that to the absence of any sort of cup holder in the car and guess where the best place to set your drinks is - right there above the ignition key so that when the drink sweats, it all runs down into the ignition cylinder. In one respect, the positive to having it there is that if you have a number of keys on your keyring, your keys don't keep hitting you in the knee when you turn and they swing back and forth.

Quick Reply: The heated seats in the 991