Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st time buyer Porsche 997

Old 05-29-2017, 11:42 AM
mcf1fan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcf1fan
Still searching... It seems market is very active as lots of 05's through 08's are ranging from 30-40ks, the ones in high 20's have 90kmi+
Rodie thank you very much! This is exactly what I'm looking for... I will be forced to be patient, as I will be away for 2 weeks... LoL... Wanted to check some cars out today but is raining, the dealers cancelled the test drives
Rodie, I've connected with this seller, it's in Canada Toronto... Not sure how to transact x border. My sources of search have been CarGurus, cars.com, carsforsale (it seems there are many scams in this website) and eBay. Have bumped into sellers that were clearly scams as no possibility to see the car, as well some that asked for proof of financial resources to purchase the car... Have after been searching daily an impression that not buying in a Porsche dealership might be very risky... The pre-owned at the porsche dealerships have a huge markup. Thank you all for your help. I think I might have reached a point where this search became almost an addiction to me.

Found a 2007 cab 28kmi beautiful and likely to go on the mid to high 30's. Tiptronic and had a minor accident reported on Carfax that looks more like a scratch... Thoughts? Test drove the car, neat. Well cared. Private party.

Last edited by mcf1fan; 06-03-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:26 PM
m1a1mg
Track Day

When we finally found the car that my GF was set on color wise, we probably overpaid. But she was dead set on a white with beige interior, cab. I've been watching since January. That color combo was hard to find. Finally found one with 17K mi. The person who did the PPI knows the original owner. Had to get it.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:17 PM
mcf1fan
Intermediate

Found a 2007 cab 28kmi beautiful and likely to go on the mid to high $30's. Tiptronic and had a minor accident reported on Carfax that looks more like a scratch... Thoughts? Test drove the car, neat. Well cared. Private party. Not much optioned, leather and high end Bose, with turbo 19" wheels
Old 06-03-2017, 10:57 PM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

It may have been posted elsewhere in the thread, but you can get a base 997.2 for only slightly more than a C2S 997.1. The later is generally more desirable: newer engine, better electronics, and I believe the .2 brakes are the same as the .1's S brakes. Much better exterior as well, IMO; the .1 looks dated compared to the .2. Unless you absolutely are maxing out at $40k, I would look for a base 997.2, which can be had in the mid 40's.

I have been looking for awhile, and a 997.2 S or 4S is going to add another $10k to the mix. What I have been seeing on a typical car with 30,000 miles (very standard for this age, and the sweet spot in that it has been driven enough to not get "low mileage/non-use issues" that I hear some ultra low mileage cars can have), is that they are going for around 50-55% of MSRP. Less if you can find a private party seller who actually wants to sell their car.

Someone posted a nice graph awhile back regarding pricing: most everything in mid mileage was between 48-54% of MSRP over the winter.. Since you are looking during the peak driving season in most of the US, expect to pay a $5k premium vs, say middle of winter. I saw a loaded C4S Cab with 39k miles at my local dealer last winter for $40,000; it had full leather and was very desirable, and they simply could not sell it. Not with 4 feet of snow hanging around. That car sells for $47k this time of year at a reputable dealer, in a couple of weeks.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:59 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 443 Likes on 161 Posts

Hi - is it a C2 or C2S? Sounds high if a C2, maybe about right if an C2S. Cabs and Tips in my experience traded at a 10% discount.

The x-factor is the accident report. Some people wont touch a car with anything on the carfax. If you plan on keeping the car until the wheels come off...do your diligence and dont worry about it. If you plan on selling in 2-3 years this could severely impact your resale value.

In terms of diligence, sometimes Carfax will list the police report # and city the accident was reported in. If so you can request the police report online for like $5. I did the same buying a Land Rover a few years ago and found it only had a scratched bumper from a fender bender. A $5 police report saved me $5k and gave me peace of mind i was buying a clean car.

Good luck. Sends some pics!
Old 06-04-2017, 11:08 AM
mcf1fan
Intermediate

Yeah, buying over the winter would definitely be the best option, but honestly just want to get it and start enjoying, so will probably pay the extra 5-7k. In regards to the 997.2, when test driving I really feel a nicer handling, comfort, not to mention the huge difference from PDK over Tiptronic... Budget is flexible, I have been struggling to think about resale value, as I will just use the car for fun and weekend getaways, there is a high chance I will have to sell it in about 2 years, as we would like a baby about that time.
so I hear that the accident in Carfax will hurt resale value, talking to a good porsche dealer salesman that was very nice, he said that in about 2 years would assume the trade in valeu of the car could be around 27k.... So so you guys think the 997.2 base cabriolet at around 45k with 30kmi (which I haven't found yet) would loose less value over the same period of time? (Of course assuming no accidents or crazy miles, I intend to drive only 3-5kmi per year)
Also really wanted to get the car to drive to Montreal for the Canada F1 race hahahha
Old 06-04-2017, 11:17 AM
mcf1fan
Intermediate

Car looks good great... AC buttons in the dashboard look worn off, seller said has new buttons to give with the sale
Old 06-04-2017, 11:20 AM
mcf1fan
Intermediate

Old 06-04-2017, 11:30 AM
mcf1fan
Intermediate

Mrsp $96k. 2 owners. Black standard leather. Original wheels included in sale.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:36 PM
mcf1fan
Intermediate

C2. Pricing wise the other party is struggling to accept 35k.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:31 PM
mcf1fan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Hi - is it a C2 or C2S? Sounds high if a C2, maybe about right if an C2S. Cabs and Tips in my experience traded at a 10% discount.

The x-factor is the accident report. Some people wont touch a car with anything on the carfax. If you plan on keeping the car until the wheels come off...do your diligence and dont worry about it. If you plan on selling in 2-3 years this could severely impact your resale value.

In terms of diligence, sometimes Carfax will list the police report # and city the accident was reported in. If so you can request the police report online for like $5. I did the same buying a Land Rover a few years ago and found it only had a scratched bumper from a fender bender. A $5 police report saved me $5k and gave me peace of mind i was buying a clean car.

Good luck. Sends some pics!
TheBruce, really appreciated the tips, thanks a lot! Just got the accident report from the owner, really minor, backs up the scratches in the car.... So 36k, he doesn't go below. With the accident report at hand, do you still think resale value will be a problem, and from your perspective (question to all others that have helped me here as well, which I really appreciate) do you still think price is high?
Old 06-05-2017, 02:22 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I really hate to say this because I personally own a Tiptronic 911, but if you plan on keeping this car for a while and plan on using it for recreational purposes. GET A MANUAL!

I already went through all the remorse of not having a manual 911 only to find myself finally enjoying it after suffering with it for 9 months. The only reason I enjoy it now as much as I do is because I suck at shifting and would have probably ruined the clutch within the first 6 months. .
Old 06-06-2017, 12:15 AM
mcf1fan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by frankyluis23
I really hate to say this because I personally own a Tiptronic 911, but if you plan on keeping this car for a while and plan on using it for recreational purposes. GET A MANUAL!

I already went through all the remorse of not having a manual 911 only to find myself finally enjoying it after suffering with it for 9 months. The only reason I enjoy it now as much as I do is because I suck at shifting and would have probably ruined the clutch within the first 6 months. .
Franky, I really wanted a manual, but my wife asked me so kindly (hahaha) to get an automatic, that I couldn't say no. Happy wife happy life, people say.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:16 AM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Franky, I really wanted a manual, but my wife asked me so kindly (hahaha) to get an automatic, that I couldn't say no. Happy wife happy life, people say.
As long as you know what your getting yourself into. The shifts will not be as quick, acceleration will be sluggish unless you stomp on the throttle. You almost have to time it a second ahead in order to get the responsiveness one expects from a sports car. On the flipside, traffic will be easier to cope with and you will have an extremely reliable powerplant.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:11 AM
mcf1fan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by frankyluis23
As long as you know what your getting yourself into. The shifts will not be as quick, acceleration will be sluggish unless you stomp on the throttle. You almost have to time it a second ahead in order to get the responsiveness one expects from a sports car. On the flipside, traffic will be easier to cope with and you will have an extremely reliable powerplant.
i completely hear you, couldn't agree more. Manual would be great, and also PDK as It is amazing how much better PDK is over Tiptronic. But this will be my first 911 so I'm very excited anyway.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1st time buyer Porsche 997