997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 and it's 'size'

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017 | 01:29 PM
Iceter
Drifting

As "bloated" as the late models have become when compared to the early 911s, it's still a go-cart compared to the Suburban and pickup that I drive when I'm not in my 997.

And if you don't think a 997 is small, don't tell that to the many people who have missed my car in their rear-view mirrors and tried to back over me at stoplights and parking lots.

I left a car length between me and an F150 at a light. Even so, he missed me in all three mirrors and backed into my front bumper when the light turned red.

These cars are tiny compared to the leviathans on the road nowadays.
Old 05-08-2017 | 01:53 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by peterhorten
From this picture, the 991 actually looks better, it appears wider (although we know it's not) and lower.

There is a blue WRX that's modified and lower who likes to park next to my 997 at work. His car looks like a Forester next to my 997, it just looks huge.
Old 05-08-2017 | 01:58 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ynot
From this picture, the 991 actually looks better, it appears wider (although we know it's not) and lower.

There is a blue WRX that's modified and lower who likes to park next to my 997 at work. His car looks like a Forester next to my 997, it just looks huge.
The 991 is wider in the front.

The 997 has a more classic coke bottle shape if viewed from top... rear track is wider than front. 991 is opposite, front track is wider than rear. Helps provide greater stability as the car continues down the path of GT vs. sports car...
Old 05-08-2017 | 03:13 PM
blakecam
Pro

Originally Posted by Marvinta
It's true, 911's have definitely been getting bigger the last couple generations. But it's ok, Porsche does make a smaller , tighter, better handling coupe. It's called a cayman.
I was surprised how large a late model Cayman looked when I parked next to one.

Old 05-08-2017 | 09:53 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Let me simplify it for you since you have difficulty with nuance:

991 is longer.

991 front track is wider.

991 looks like a 997 that got stung by a few dozen bees.

You know the current look of women who do lip injections? That is the 991.

BTW, why are you so obsessed with U.S. politics? Doesn't your country have enough issues (I hear you can get a realllly sweet one story in Toronto for about $3m...lol)

Originally Posted by vern1
Youre kidding right??

Youre making everything up. Do you have one ounce of fact other than your art school training, your suspicions, radio towers on buildings and perception is reality ridiculousness?? Do you have a CAD model demonstrating your alternative fact theory??

You talk about volume vs the actual measurements we actually know and defend it by talking about the windshield??!! Sorry, we are fixated on the actual facts that are known - shame on us!!

Sean Spicer could learn a few things from you

The 997 is bigger AND heavier. But by all means keep digging that hole
Old 05-08-2017 | 10:03 PM
scorcherjf
Racer

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
Let's all just get along.

The real measurement that matters is the volume of the car. I suspect that the 991 has more volume, judging by its dimensions and its shape. This makes it look "fatter" because frankly it is. If you judge a person as being "larger" it is usually based on volume, not weight.

The rear of the 991 looks a lot more bloated than a 997. The front windshield is more raked (so it looks more streamlined, but it likely again means more volume (yes, I know the 991 is slightly shorter too).

The length of the cars, well the measurements I've seen (official and unofficial) vary somewhat, but I suspect it is depending on whether they include the 997 bumperettes. If so, the 997 is getting about an inch or so added to its length that doesn't really count for how we are discussing the size difference. Kind of like those radio antennas on tall buildings.

Also, having a wider front track almost certainly means the 991 has more volume. Again, it is the larger vehicle.

Our eyes can play tricks on us but given the 997 and 991 have very similar overall looks and we can easily compare the same color cars, it isn't some visual illusion that causes people to say the 991 is bigger. It is bigger. It is just that bigger is really a volume measurement, and not the simplified length/weight/height measures that some are fixated on.
Agreed. Volume definitely does seem larger in the 991 and it would seem that way from the data as well. When sat in a 991, the "waist" felt higher as you said, and the windshield felt much further away because of the rake. All of this added to a feeling that the car felt bigger, despite the dimensions being so similar. They've really stretched out the car as much as they could given the footprint. The frunk is huge too compared to the 997, can fit way more stuff, most likely as a result of the wider front track.

The 991 weighing less is just a testament to Porsche's use of lightweight materials, not because its a smaller car. The interior is hollow space anyway, so increasing interior volume doesn't automatically mean the car must be heavier.
Old 05-08-2017 | 11:22 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Some people do not know that V=Lˆ3 (cubic function of linear dimension) and that cubic functions have a larger derivative.
Old 05-08-2017 | 11:53 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by scorcherjf
Agreed. Volume definitely does seem larger in the 991 and it would seem that way from the data as well. When sat in a 991, the "waist" felt higher as you said, and the windshield felt much further away because of the rake. All of this added to a feeling that the car felt bigger, despite the dimensions being so similar. They've really stretched out the car as much as they could given the footprint. The frunk is huge too compared to the 997, can fit way more stuff, most likely as a result of the wider front track.

The 991 weighing less is just a testament to Porsche's use of lightweight materials, not because its a smaller car. The interior is hollow space anyway, so increasing interior volume doesn't automatically mean the car must be heavier.
Exactly.
Old 05-08-2017 | 11:59 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

*sigh*

No matter how many times someone gives you the actual facts you come up with your "alternative facts" that you have no way of backing up. And you know it

Just because your current govt has a tendency to do the exact same thing doesn't make me fascinated with it. But it is kinda like watching a train wreck ie you cant take your eyes off it. Was the same here with your "theories" but now its just boring

We really don't have that many issues in Canada. And yes the real estate market has padded my net worth quite nicely thank you. That's a problem??

Similar to the high net worth of all the real estate buyers/owners in Vegas or Miami back in 2007? Enjoy it for another 6 months or so. A train wreck is watching an entire population buy into the notion they have grown their wealth through real estate appreciation, while being burdened by insanely high levels of debt and living off mortgages that are fixed for 5 years at a time. It is equal to what we saw here back in 06-07.

Given your lack of seeing the problem your own city (and much of your country) faces, I am not surprised by your lack of comprehending basic concepts like volume. Enjoy your real estate "wealth".

But I digress (though your started it). The 991 is the larger car.
Old 05-09-2017 | 01:17 AM
scorcherjf
Racer

"Seems larger, felt higher, felt much further away, felt bigger" - yes sir, packed full of facts and data there. I am sold

And of course its lighter because of new materials - no one was arguing otherwise. Its lighter period - isn't that what sports cars are supposed to be?? But that cant be in the bloated, fat, huge 991 can it? Say it aint so Joe!!
Are you just trolling or something? What is it you're trying to say?
Old 05-09-2017 | 12:08 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by blakecam
I was surprised how large a late model Cayman looked when I parked next to one.

A good illustration of the similarity in size between 997 and late model Cayman (or at least how they look).. I've thought at some points that the next Porsche I add (not replacing) might be a Cayman, if I can get one with enough power and an engine/transmission combo I like.
Old 05-09-2017 | 12:46 PM
scorcherjf
Racer

You and Speedy give no actual facts to support your arguments that the "volume" of the 991 is larger than the 997 when in fact the actual measurements show the 991 to be smaller

Your arguments are all subjective. So unless you have actual facts to support this argument then its nothing more than your (and his) "feelings"

Clear enough?
Well you've sufficiently derailed this thread quite far but I don't know what other "facts" you need to conclude that volume, which is derived by exterior dimensions, is larger for the 991 by virtue that the 991 has larger dimensions. The front width is wider, the length is longer, the rear width is the same. Those are the facts as per Porsche specs. If the 991 is larger in some dimensions but the same in others, then how could it be smaller? The weight is lighter, if that's what you mean by smaller, but the dimensions are larger in many aspects. These "facts" have been recounted many times in this thread but if you choose to ignore them then I suppose you've already made up your mind beforehand so we can let our "opinions" differ and agree to disagree okay?

As for your political comments and sarcasm, I don't know what you hope to gain there.
Old 05-09-2017 | 02:18 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

You and Speedy give no actual facts to support your arguments that the "volume" of the 991 is larger than the 997 when in fact the actual measurements show the 991 to be smaller

Your arguments are all subjective. So unless you have actual facts to support this argument then its nothing more than your (and his) "feelings"

Clear enough?
Funny, I gave several facts.

991 is longer and 997 measurements that suggest it is as long are including those small protrusions called bumperettes. These are both facts.

991 has a wider front track (around an inch). Fact.

Rear tracks are almost identical. Fact.

991 has a more slanted windshield. Fact.

The four points above all suggest greater volume (all else equal). Fact.

Other styling aspects (more squared front, higher beltline in rear) suggest more volume too.

As for my comment on your real estate market, you first attacked the administration of my country. I am merely suggesting you take a look inward and see how well your administration(s) over the past decade have handled the development of your domestic real estate bubble.

As for my knowledge of real estate, let's try the following facts:
1. Toronto family income growth has been less than 3% in nominal terms over the past decade
2. Real estate prices in Toronto in that period have gone up more than 100% (a lot more than 100% in many areas)
3. Canada's personal debt/income levels now eclipse the highest levels the U.S. has ever experienced
4. Canada mortgage structures are significantly riskier (more volatile) vs. U.S. since typical "fixed" rate mortgages for 25 year terms are fixed only for 5 years. In the U.S. the typical fixed rate mortgage is for the life of the mortgage (30 years). The lower rates in Canada are therefore not really apples to apples to the U.S. and the Canadian housing market is significantly more exposed to rates.
5. Despite historical lows for mortgage rates, many homeowners would be in significant difficulty if even a small rate increase occurred
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle33279552/

There are countless articles on the above topic, just try using google

6. Toronto suburbs are now more expensive than NYC suburbs, despite the latter having average incomes and average wealth levels significantly higher than Toronto and despite Toronto / Canada not having any mortgage interest deductability

7. The average home price to average family income ratio is roughly 11x in Toronto. The standard is 3x-4x.

8. There is no specific industry growth that supports some sort of inflow of talent or wealth into Toronto (please name 2 industries in which Toronto is a global first tier city comparable to London, NY, etc)

Harder to prove items that you would not consider facts:
1. Buyers are/were buying because of fear of further increasing prices -- classic speculative bubble / fear and greed based price action (self-propagating)
2. Foreign buyers see Canada's lax regulations and oversight as a way to funnel funds (illicit or otherwise) out of their home countries
3. Real estate agent behavior is poorly monitored or enforced and there is significant shadow flipping in multiple markets and other behavior that would not be (currently) allowed in the U.S.

Now that this thread has been sufficiently derailed, I won't contribute any further to it :-)

Enjoy your Toronto real estate "wealth"!
Old 05-09-2017 | 02:45 PM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Originally Posted by SpeedyD

As for my knowledge of real estate, let's try the following facts:
1. Toronto family income growth has been less than 3% in nominal terms over the past decade
2. Real estate prices in Toronto in that period have gone up more than 100% (a lot more than 100% in many areas)
3. Canada's personal debt/income levels now eclipse the highest levels the U.S. has ever experienced
4. Canada mortgage structures are significantly riskier (more volatile) vs. U.S. since typical "fixed" rate mortgages for 25 year terms are fixed only for 5 years. In the U.S. the typical fixed rate mortgage is for the life of the mortgage (30 years). The lower rates in Canada are therefore not really apples to apples to the U.S. and the Canadian housing market is significantly more exposed to rates.
5. Despite historical lows for mortgage rates, many homeowners would be in significant difficulty if even a small rate increase occurred
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle33279552/

There are countless articles on the above topic, just try using google

6. Toronto suburbs are now more expensive than NYC suburbs, despite the latter having average incomes and average wealth levels significantly higher than Toronto and despite Toronto / Canada not having any mortgage interest deductability

7. The average home price to average family income ratio is roughly 11x in Toronto. The standard is 3x-4x.

8. There is no specific industry growth that supports some sort of inflow of talent or wealth into Toronto (please name 2 industries in which Toronto is a global first tier city comparable to London, NY, etc)

Harder to prove items that you would not consider facts:
1. Buyers are/were buying because of fear of further increasing prices -- classic speculative bubble / fear and greed based price action (self-propagating)
2. Foreign buyers see Canada's lax regulations and oversight as a way to funnel funds (illicit or otherwise) out of their home countries
3. Real estate agent behavior is poorly monitored or enforced and there is significant shadow flipping in multiple markets and other behavior that would not be (currently) allowed in the U.S.

Now that this thread has been sufficiently derailed, I won't contribute any further to it :-)

Enjoy your Toronto real estate "wealth"!
For the record, the rest of Canada doesn't want anything to do with Ontario (or Quebec for that matter!!).

Old 05-09-2017 | 03:21 PM
Nova997
Racer

An Article from "Total 911" comparing the 991 to the 997.

https://www.total911.com/997-vs-991/

Some highlights:

Porsche’s data sheet reveals that the 991 is 2.2 inches longer than the 997, the front track two inches wider (or more precisely, 46mm on the Carrera and 52mm the S) and the wheelbase is increased by a substantial four inches.

So smoothly does this merge with the 20-inch wheels, now standard on the S (19-inch on the Carrera) that you begin to realise that with the new 911, Porsche has a significantly bigger car.

Harm Lagaay, the Chief stylist at Weissach from 1989 to 2004 used to say that Porsche was “the recognised master at putting the right amount of surface tension in its design,” and with the new 911, you can see what he means: those sweeping curves have a harmony even a die-hard Porsche traditionalist wouldn’t deny.

The overall effect is bigger, but it takes some time to become apparent.

The 991’s greater – if deftly disguised – dimensions are reflected in the cabin where the immediate impression is one of airiness, a spaciousness quite unlike previous 911s, which is reflected in the greater shoulder room.

First Comment to the article:

Frank Sugrue • a year ago
The 991 is a grand tourer - much too big. The last of the real 911 sport cars is the 997. For the best new Porsche sports car it has to be the Cayman.

I'm certain there may be passages in the article that state the 991 isn't any (or much) bigger than the 997. But as "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", "size" might be in the eye of the beholder also.

Quick Reply: 997 and it's 'size'