Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rear tire failure, need advice on replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 01:45 PM
Blaine 997
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a set of Michelin Pilot Sports coming tomorrow. Thanks for the advice. I will follow up with more details on the bad tires......
Old 04-27-2017, 08:43 PM
911searcher
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What tires do the 997s come with from the factory ?
continental .. ?
Old 04-27-2017, 09:00 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 911searcher
What tires do the 997s come with from the factory ?
continental .. ?
Bridgestone, Continental, Michelin, etc. it varies but the ones used will be N-rated.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:03 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

Blaine 997 - Good for you for getting you new shoes.
Ship does happen, get your new tires on and feel the rush of new tires.
Report back , how great they are.
Check the manufacturing date on your new tire as a precaution.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:07 AM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just ordered Bridgestone S-04's from Costco based on the positive reviews here. Going to get them mounted next week. They also carry Michelin PS4S. I chose Costco because their tire warranty is excellent.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:52 PM
Lip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaine 997
I have a set of Michelin Pilot Sports coming tomorrow. Thanks for the advice. I will follow up with more details on the bad tires......
Good choice
Old 04-29-2017, 02:01 AM
Shred
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Khumo were the cheapest tires for the 997 on Tire Rack.

Recommend:
Michelin Pilot 4S
Michelin Super Sport
Old 04-29-2017, 02:20 PM
Blaine 997
Instructor

I picked up my car with the new Pilot Sports on today. It has way more cornering grip and feels great.

I checked the date codes on the "new" Khumos that were installed by the selling Audi dealer. 2513 means the 25th week of 2013. Lesson learned, when buying a car without seeing it in person ask for photos of the DOT numbers, not just the tread depth.

The PPI said non-Porsche approved tires. I thought they were okay as I had driven a friend's 996 with Khumos on it and he had no problems.

The other 3 tires were coded the same and had no signs of a similar failure.
Attached Images  
Old 04-29-2017, 09:45 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

I picked up my car with the new Pilot Sports on today. It has way more cornering grip and feels great.

I checked the date codes on the "new" Khumos that were installed by the selling Audi dealer. 2513 means the 25th week of 2013. Lesson learned, when buying a car without seeing it in person ask for photos of the DOT numbers, not just the tread depth. ...
2013 tires are not old enough to cause issues. What you are finding is the difference between the Khumos and the Michelins.

Which Michelin did you get?

Pilot Sport 2

Pilot Super Sport

Pilot Sport 4S
Old 04-30-2017, 01:14 AM
Blaine 997
Instructor

While I agree that a 3-4 year old tire should not be a problem on any car, I do have a problem with the dealer claiming they were new. Unused would have been more accurate. I've had tires "age out" on my 63 Impala way before the tread was gone and I needed to replace them for safety sake. This mainly is a function of living in the mountains where clean, cinder and salt free roads normally only occur from late April-November. So when I was paying for a car advertised with new tires, I would expect them to be +/- a year old and would have years upwards of 10 years to wear the tread out. Not already be aged 40% of the time it usually takes for dry rot to set in......

I went with the Pilot Sport 2. I have them on aftermarket 19" rims on my Mazda 6 DD for the spring to fall seasons and am very pleased with them, so I chose them for the 911 as well. Already I noticed improved cornering on the back roads near my home and better highway ride on the drive home from the dealer today.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:44 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

While I agree that a 3-4 year old tire should not be a problem on any car, I do have a problem with the dealer claiming they were new. Unused would have been more accurate. I've had tires "age out" on my 63 Impala way before the tread was gone and I needed to replace them for safety sake. This mainly is a function of living in the mountains where clean, cinder and salt free roads normally only occur from late April-November. So when I was paying for a car advertised with new tires, I would expect them to be +/- a year old and would have years upwards of 10 years to wear the tread out. Not already be aged 40% of the time it usually takes for dry rot to set in......

I went with the Pilot Sport 2. I have them on aftermarket 19" rims on my Mazda 6 DD for the spring to fall seasons and am very pleased with them, so I chose them for the 911 as well. Already I noticed improved cornering on the back roads near my home and better highway ride on the drive home from the dealer today.

I am not arguing against you. You are right, you should have gotten recent production tires. What I said was that the extra grip you felt in your Michelins is because they truly are great tires. And now I am not questioning why you should have gone PSS or PS4 instead of PS2 or asking if your PS2 are N-rated or not.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:17 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

If I bought a used Porsche and there were Korean tires on it that would be the first thing to go. Makes you wonder what other things were compromised on that car. That's just being cheap. I have two different types of tires on my Porsche 997S wheels today. Michelin Pilot Super Sport and Bridgestone Potenza S-04s. M rated tires were created for a reason. Most non N tires are a compromise, because buyers don't figure they don't need a performance tire for their p-cars in America. Not true.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:47 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
If I bought a used Porsche and there were Korean tires on it that would be the first thing to go. Makes you wonder what other things were compromised on that car. That's just being cheap. I have two different types of tires on my Porsche 997S wheels today. Michelin Pilot Super Sport and Bridgestone Potenza S-04s. M rated tires were created for a reason. Most non N tires are a compromise, because buyers don't figure they don't need a performance tire for their p-cars in America. Not true.
conservative, but narrow minded perspective imho

depending on intended use of the car, some korean, japanese, or otherwise non oem (even non n0 n1 'porsche tested' tires) work very well and deliver years of excellent functionality and cost savings to a judicious owner

most folks earn their money and strive to get the most out of their 'car' budgets, and there are plenty of performance tires for a 997 other than mpss or s04 (which in and of itself is a budget performance tire introduced by bridgestone after their premium/oem line of re 050's) that are terrific tires that really don't compromise much of anything

in fact the the current MPSS is not an N rated tire... another example... new Bridgestone RE71 is a terrific, high value 'extreme performance'/track tire that is as fast or faster than an N1 MPS Cup 2... it is no N rating... used by many many capable trackers

but as with all things in this hobby/pursuit, we should all do what we need to feel good about ourselves and sleep soundly...

Quick Reply: New rear tire failure, need advice on replacement