Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride quality 18 vs 19 wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 08:34 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

bahahahaahhahha pass the Kool aid spiked with "small tires rule" moonshine.

Love the people that go from 18-19 with really no big deal but the moment someone jumps to 20's they automatically now rolling on anchors and bologne skin tires... and will die in their car a certain death due to the sheer weight even though a well made 20 wheel can better then many of the 18-19 some run....

Have you seen where Porsche is going with wheels? Cayman and Boxters now running 20s never Mind Carerra's. Jumping a size has been happening for decades. 964 guys running 18's all day, many 993+996 owners run 19s and yes many 997 owners rolling on 20's. The 1' jump has been happening for ever!

18, 19 and yes wait for it 20's (the right 20's) all work on a 997....

eager to hear your thoughts on the TPC/DSC PASM software module.... I bet if you ran 20's it would melt the software

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S with PASM

I run 18" in winter, 19" in summer. I hate 19" wheels. These big wheel things are just stupid and driven by dopey city teenagers. Big wheels and thin tires are the leopard skinned pillbox hat of the future.... marketing books will have yet another thing to laugh at idiot consumers as they crank up the next big thing. They have nothing to do with performance and everything to do with bent rims.

However..... wait for it ..... I just installed the TPC/DSC PASM software module..... I don't hate 19" anymore. Stay tuned for a review... I want to put more miles on the car.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-01-2017, 09:36 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
bahahahaahhahha pass the Kool aid spiked with "small tires rule" moonshine.

Love the people that go from 18-19 with really no big deal but the moment someone jumps to 20's they automatically now rolling on anchors and bologne skin tires... and will die in their car a certain death due to the sheer weight even though a well made 20 wheel can better then many of the 18-19 some run....
I do have a bit of empirical evidence that larger wheels and smaller sidewalls are "not as good" as smaller wheels with larger sidewalls...... Never in about 40 years of driving did I bend a single rim (that I knew of). Now I bent my current 19" rims three times. I don't like this and I blame the large wheels and small sidewalls. For me, smaller wheels and larger sidewalls are "better".

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-02-2017, 01:54 AM
SAN997
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My understanding is that professional racers prefer 18" to 19" since the ride quality and grip is better. Formula 1 uses 13" wheels, for example. Also, 19" wheels are significantly heavier and more expensive than 18".

Above 18" is purely for style.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:13 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Are you a proffesional racer? Is your car a dedicated track car?

if the Answer is NO to both then not sure what works for proffesional race car driver on the track applies all that much to none pro race car drivers off the track.

When I drive around town, attend car meets and rallies, drive to work or out to diner I like how my car looks and handles both.... not trying to beat a lap time or set a nurberg ring record.

18-19- yes even 20's all can work depending on the wheel make, fit, and the main purpose (or even multi purpose) the car being used and enjoyed by owner.

Originally Posted by SAN997
My understanding is that professional racers prefer 18" to 19" since the ride quality and grip is better. Formula 1 uses 13" wheels, for example. Also, 19" wheels are significantly heavier and more expensive than 18".

Above 18" is purely for style.

Quick Reply: Ride quality 18 vs 19 wheels