Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil filter auto zone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 07:55 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I just rinse my filter in warm water - all the metal chunks fall out and I put it back in the car. Seems to work just fine
Old 04-25-2017, 08:03 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yet another awesome thread. I will for sure:

- use a no name cheap filter to blow up my motor.
- buy the cheapest tires I can at Costco, and under inflate them to save air
- buy cheap brake pads so I can die in a fiery wreck when the parts that stop the car don't work
- mod my car with bolt ons that have no indepemndent dyno documented proof like plenums, Hot and cold air intakes, etc
- install motor mounts that ruin my ride quality and add NVMH and say how awesome those track oriented parts are on the freeway

and of course I will use diesel or 87 octane, whatever is cheaper.

It's a 911- a premium and iconic sports car. Don't see the point in buying one and then wrecking it through bad decisions that newbies continue to ask about in threads like these.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:04 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Buddhamonk
I just rinse my filter in warm water - all the metal chunks fall out and I put it back in the car. Seems to work just fine
Old 04-25-2017, 08:52 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Backmarker

- buy cheap brake pads so I can die in a fiery wreck when the parts that stop the car don't work
- mod my car with bolt ons that have no indepemndent dyno documented proof like plenums, Hot and cold air intakes, etc
- install motor mounts that ruin my ride quality and add NVMH and say how awesome those track oriented parts are on the freeway

It's a 911- a premium and iconic sports car. Don't see the point in buying one and then wrecking it through bad decisions that newbies continue to ask about in threads like these.
all true......you missed buying harbor freight tools
Old 04-26-2017, 12:20 AM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are right, I would only allow your dealer to maintain your car. It runs on magic and unicorn tears and thus a normal individual has no ability to maintain it as it is completely different from plebeian cars that can be maintained by enthusiast owners.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:58 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wasserkühlung
This is a Wix filter pulled from a 2007 Carrera S that came in for a engine knock and zero oil pressure warning. I think issue was the Wix filter did not have the inner plastic cage that the Mahle and most other filters have to keep it from collapsing.
And what does this prove? I know I know, everything you read on the internet is the truth.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:30 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by phaphaphooey
You are right, I would only allow your dealer to maintain your car. It runs on magic and unicorn tears and thus a normal individual has no ability to maintain it as it is completely different from plebeian cars that can be maintained by enthusiast owners.
I do my own maintenance and repairs thanks. But I use parts that were actually tested by the engineers that built the car. As an engineer myself I understand how things work, and the effort that goes in to making sure the product is going to work.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:54 AM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do my own maintenance and repairs thanks. But I use parts that were actually tested by the engineers that built the car. As an engineer myself I understand how things work, and the effort that goes in to making sure the product is going to work.
If you think that Porsche engineers have, for instance, tested every synthetic engine oil in existence and chosen Mobil 1 as the factory fill due solely to its perfect synergy with the M97/9A1 engine, I have a bridge to sell you. Also, I expect that you only purchase your M1 from the Porsche dealer and pay $30 per litre for the privilege.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:49 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by phaphaphooey
Also, I expect that you only purchase your M1 from the Porsche dealer and pay $30 per litre for the privilege.
If it has a Porsche badge, it must be better!

FYI, I just bought four Bosch filters. I've never used Bosch before so I hope my engine doesn't blow up.
I suspect these are like batteries, just a few places make them and everyone else re-brands them.
I just buy whatever is convenient when I place an order for consumables.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:12 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wasserkühlung
This is a Wix filter pulled from a 2007 Carrera S that came in for a engine knock and zero oil pressure warning. I think issue was the Wix filter did not have the inner plastic cage that the Mahle and most other filters have to keep it from collapsing.
Wix 57211 has hard black plastic end caps with o-rings and a plastic inner core. No way it could collapse like that.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:24 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

Buys a 911 cheaps out on maintenance.. = 3rd or 4th owner of car ROFL

just like the PDK oil change thread
Old 05-02-2017, 12:56 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Devil Boy
Wix 57211 has hard black plastic end caps with o-rings and a plastic inner core. No way it could collapse like that.

That looks like the Bosch filters I just bought. In the past I've bought Mann or Mahle. The filters are only $8 at AutohausAZ. I bought two sets of ATE front rotors so the shipping was free for the oil filters. I do 4 oil changes a year. These Bosch filters actually look more substantial then the Mann/Mahle filters. I hope my engine doesn't blow up. The Bosch are made in China, that was a concern for me, but I looked up the Mann and Mahle and they were also made in China just like everything else in this world. LOL

The filters look like this:

Old 05-02-2017, 01:16 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

They're all paper element filters. The differences are minimal other than cost and availability. I prefer the convenience and ease of going to my neighborhood store and getting my filter and oil instead of waiting on parts to be shipped. You change your oil in a 997 just like any other car. It doesn't have to be overly complicated.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:01 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Paper is paper, there's nothing magical about Porsche filters except the price.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:19 AM
Devil Boy
Racer

Originally Posted by snake eyes
Buys a 911 cheaps out on maintenance.. = 3rd or 4th owner of car ROFL

just like the PDK oil change thread
More money than sense and doesn't know how to basic maintenance on a car = 1st owner

Quick Reply: Oil filter auto zone?