Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quantifying differences in terms of $ between C2 and GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 05:10 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rek Loos
C4 AWD dynamic will be different from rear-drive and introduces a whole new topic to the comparison. I was providing Porsche published data for comparable model years Carrera vs Carrera GTS both with manual trans. If you can give up the manual trans the best real world performance for a decent price will be a 997.2 GTS w/PDK SC+, which a lot of gts are PDK equipped.

The biggest difference between base C2 and GTS is the engine characteristics, you WILL notice a difference between the two, power kit 3.8 engine provides peak torque over a flatter curve, hp is also significantly higher at 408 (107hp/liter) @ 7300 rpm vs C2 345hp (95hp/liter) @ 6500rpm, compare that to 997.1 gt3 415 hp @7600rpm and 300 lb ft @ 5500rpm. The higher rpm threshold makes that last 800-900 rpm music to your ears.

As far as depreciation, both 997.2 C2 and GTS have rolled down the depreciation curve 5 to 7 years now, so should be leveling off even more. Mileage seems to be biggest factor in pricing on 997.2's at this point; clean, well equipped cars with low miles (10k-ish or lower) will always get good money, both on the bid-side and ask-side.

To the +$8k for each 1/10th quicker 0-60 comment, that is just one metric in the comparison I posted, you would need to spread that out over the other performance differences of the cars as well. All of this is a slippery slope in either direction, Porsche spends hundreds of millions in r&d to shave 1/10ths of a second off accelerating times, lap times, etc. for all variants of 911 up to their prototype Le Mans race cars. In this scenario you get those extra 1/10th's for a fraction of the cost PAG spent in aggregate developing them.

NA engines seem to be maxing out at this 110-125hp/per liter ratio. If you can grab one that is 107hp per liter it's prob worth it. Le Mans GT class racing, only has 2 manufacturers with NA, corvette pushrod V8, and Porsche H6, Ferrari, BMW, Ford all running turbos, in the same way the RSR 911 is mid engine, for better performance, Porsche will eventual have to put turbo in GT cars to keep up, then electric after that but thats a long time off. Point I'm making, these engines are special so buy the best one you can afford.

If you can be patient, and accept a car with 30,000 or so miles on it, a clean GTS will pop up in the 60s, just be ready to act.

One thing I will promise you... when you're ripp'n it at 7000-7300rpm with sport/pasm/sport exhaust buttons engaged and the windows down, you'll know where the premium you paid went vs the C2.
Well, I just drove a C4 manual with upgrades (suspension, exhaust, modified aerokit cup) and a GTS4. Gotta say, they were awfully close, and the base engine had more useable power, I had to work harder to get it. I didn't notice any perceived performance difference from the GTS on public roads, really they felt like the same car with a bit less power in the C4. Would I go with the GTS if I had $ burning a hole in my pocket? Perhaps; it's a more rare car. Is it faster? Sure. Better? Not convinced. The slightly lower powered engine I felt more engaged with, it builds power and needs me to work the RPM's to get the most out of it.

I suppose it depends on the situation. The C4 with these mods one hell of a car, and all the car anyone could need for street use. Now, track use as you mentioned; that is completely different, and not my situation.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:56 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Abe Froman
GTS has a lot of cool options: Powerkit, sport design bumper, most have Alcantara, you know the car will have sports exhaust, the wide body is pretty, center lock wheels are not something you see every day; It will hold value better long-term. Also, it has more horsepower than a 991 Carrera S.
It all comes down to personal preference. For example, I don't like alcantara, I prefer the narrow body, hate the wart on the dash that comes with the sport chrono, center lock wheels are a PITA, and the exhaust can be improved easily with a Fister (or gundo) and a center muffler bypass.

I'm sure the GTS is a "better" car, but the base 997.2 Carrera with no options fulfills my needs 100%. If I ever sell my car (not planning to), I would not upgrade to an S or GTS. To me it's not worth the extra money to end up with a car that is 95% the same.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:28 PM
Rek Loos
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dawgcatching
Well, I just drove a C4 manual with upgrades (suspension, exhaust, modified aerokit cup) and a GTS4. Gotta say, they were awfully close, and the base engine had more useable power, I had to work harder to get it. I didn't notice any perceived performance difference from the GTS on public roads, really they felt like the same car with a bit less power in the C4. Would I go with the GTS if I had $ burning a hole in my pocket? Perhaps; it's a more rare car. Is it faster? Sure. Better? Not convinced. The slightly lower powered engine I felt more engaged with, it builds power and needs me to work the RPM's to get the most out of it.

I suppose it depends on the situation. The C4 with these mods one hell of a car, and all the car anyone could need for street use. Now, track use as you mentioned; that is completely different, and not my situation.
C4 WILL feel similar to a GTS4, same track front and rear. C2 not same track as GTS. AWD to rear-drive car comparison is apples to oranges. As I said, slippery slope in either direction for the 911 lineup.

Both cars will feel fast and fun not matter what, they are Porsche sports cars after all. 408hp @ 7300rpm vs 345hp @ 6500rpm, if you can't feel a difference then something is wrong with one of the engines. More hp over a longer rpm range is by definition more useable power. When you drove Carrera 4 GTS did you keep revs high with sport buttons on? Tha powerkit engine really starts breathing above 6000.

If you are actually going to buy either one of these cars from your original question, a 911 Carrera manual, or a Carrera GTS manual, best thing is to find a dealer that has both cars and drive them back to back, and don't be afraid to stretch both cars legs, its your money so you will want to be certain the premium or discount makes sense to you.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:42 AM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rek Loos
C4 WILL feel similar to a GTS4, same track front and rear. C2 not same track as GTS. AWD to rear-drive car comparison is apples to oranges. As I said, slippery slope in either direction for the 911 lineup.

Both cars will feel fast and fun not matter what, they are Porsche sports cars after all. 408hp @ 7300rpm vs 345hp @ 6500rpm, if you can't feel a difference then something is wrong with one of the engines. More hp over a longer rpm range is by definition more useable power. When you drove Carrera 4 GTS did you keep revs high with sport buttons on? Tha powerkit engine really starts breathing above 6000.

If you are actually going to buy either one of these cars from your original question, a 911 Carrera manual, or a Carrera GTS manual, best thing is to find a dealer that has both cars and drive them back to back, and don't be afraid to stretch both cars legs, its your money so you will want to be certain the premium or discount makes sense to you.
Sorry, didn't mean I "couldn't feel a difference". I meant: useable power on the road. The GTS gains steam so quickly that is is tough to be WOT on a tight, technical road with a bunch of hairpins. I felt like I was pushing the smaller engine harder and getting more out of it.

I previously owned a 991 C2S and didn't get close to the performance envelope. It was much faster and more capable than anyone should be driving on public roads; almost a "what is the point again?" type of feel. The GTS is a step down, and the C4 a step down from that, bring it back to "real world, I am pushing the car hard" territory. Not close to the limit, but within sight of it. I really like that feeling. The old saw; "better to drive a slow car fast" has a lot of truth to it.

Having driven both of these; I would say the GTS was worth 10% more or so (that is, the C4 has some mods that makes it competitive). I didn't drive the C4 stock. Maybe 20% w/o mods. Which is around the price difference at retail.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:55 PM
J_D
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I actually made the jump from a 997.1 S to a 997.2 GTS. I could have easily gotten the 997.2 S but once I drove the the GTS I was hooked. I prefer the CL's and the delta in $$ wasn't a factor in being happy with my purchase.

My car has a factory aero kit and guards red, with sand beige leather interior. I fell in love and had to go for it after the test drive.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:13 PM
ronvanr
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

If you have amazon prime type in "top gear perfect road trip" Then fast forward to the 21 minute mark and watch a Caymen S beat a Pagoni Huayra (sp?) around an F1 track. Bottom line, for most of us the driver is a bigger limiter then the car. Enjoy!
Old 04-28-2017, 01:23 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by J_D
I actually made the jump from a 997.1 S to a 997.2 GTS. I could have easily gotten the 997.2 S but once I drove the the GTS I was hooked. I prefer the CL's and the delta in $$ wasn't a factor in being happy with my purchase.

My car has a factory aero kit and guards red, with sand beige leather interior. I fell in love and had to go for it after the test drive.
aero kit makes a huge difference. I would grab the GTS too if $ were no object. Gotta be a responsible adult....

Quick Reply: Quantifying differences in terms of $ between C2 and GTS?