Sponsored by:

Flat Tire - Smitty Yay! - P-Pump Yay! - P-Goo bad

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 10:27 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I know CA has strange laws, but what is not legal about a plug - do they actually inspect for plugs or do you have to self incriminate
No safety check in CA. But tire shops are required to pull the tire and patch from the inside. Plugs are easier and quick and road side capable. I installed hundreds when working as a mechanic in Phoenix 40 years ago.

Pete ... That's a beautiful kit you referenced. I'm tempted to swap out my Smittybuilts!!!
Old 04-22-2017, 12:13 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 85 Posts

Pete,

Looking at the metal tip and the effort made to trim the Dynaplug insert in the video, I can see that the plug seems quite robust. Hence my question...

Do you consider the plug a permanent solution or just a remedy to get going and have an internal tire patch installed at first opportunity? BTW, my car is a DD and I don't do any real continuous high speed driving nor any tracking.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:44 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,154 Likes on 3,923 Posts

Originally Posted by Astur
Pete,

Looking at the metal tip and the effort made to trim the Dynaplug insert in the video, I can see that the plug seems quite robust. Hence my question...

Do you consider the plug a permanent solution or just a remedy to get going and have an internal tire patch installed at first opportunity? BTW, my car is a DD and I don't do any real continuous high speed driving nor any tracking.
I tend to err on the side of caution so I'd probably have a plugged repair properly patched, but I also wouldn't worry about finishing a trip with a Dynaplug installed. I really think the purpose of the metal tip is to help get the plug through the tire casing and then capture it as the tool is retracted.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:35 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Way to go Bruce. I love preparedness stories that turn out well.

I carry the Dynaplug Pro Kit in all my cars. It's awesome - patented plug design that does not require any cement to go bad, you can stack multiple plugs into the same hole for larger punctures, everything is strong aluminum, and everything fits into the tiny metal handle with changeable ends.

https://www.amazon.com/DYNAPLUG-Tube...naplug+extreme

Haven't had to use it on the road yet, but fixed a friends punctured tire in my driveway about a month ago - worked perfectly and is still holding air (it was a very small hole on a non-performance car right in the middle of the tread).

Thanks Petza, I just pulled the trigger on the exact same kit! Gotta love Amazon Prime who will deliver it tomorrow
Old 04-22-2017, 05:01 PM
F308gt4
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by North Shore 911
Thanks Petza, I just pulled the trigger on the exact same kit! Gotta love Amazon Prime who will deliver it tomorrow
It's a nice kit. I was able to get same day delivery on mine (since I ordered it earlier in the day yesterday), and got it yesterday evening.

I hope it's a complete waste of money (i.e., I never have to use it).
Old 04-23-2017, 01:16 AM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 258 Posts

I bought the Victor plug and go repair kit for a fraction of a Dynaplug kit. And for those speeders don't forget the Valentine one and use the WAZE app.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:39 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,413 Likes on 857 Posts

Update on P-Goo....

I cut the bottle open to see what residue was in there..... it was thick.... way thicker than what I shot up the tire with... which was watery. So the stuff separated.

Not satisified with this, I dumped out the goo and let it sit over the weekend expecting that on Sunday (I was away for the weekend) I would find a cool, rubbery blob. What was to be my latest desk sculpture. What did I find.... the exact same, goo, just as wet and slimy... no hardening or drying.

I don't get it.... how does this stuff work anyway?

Repeat: Follow your manual! If you are depending on this P-Goo to fix a flat, then do as your manual tells you to do: Replace Goo bottle every four years (for about $80 from SunCoast). (Edit: replacement is four not two years, thanx Jagman1)

FYI: I will NOT be replacing the P-Goo, my Smittybilt kit has plenty of plugs left. No goo for me.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 04-24-2017 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:44 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Good advice. I think the Pgoo is overpriced but will do its job on small punctures if it is fresh enough. I thought the replacement interval was four years?

I have both the plug kit and fresh goo. If time and safety are on my side then I'll do the plug. If I'm stranded on the road and can't get to a good pull off area then that's what the Pgoo is for. It's night time and raining in my head for this scenario.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:11 PM
DB's997
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered mine the day I first read this thread. Delivered from Amazon yesterday. Now in my frunk!
Old 04-24-2017, 05:20 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,413 Likes on 857 Posts

P-Goo Update

I just had my new Michelin Pilot 4S installed and .... sure enough, P-Goo was bad.... I helped the poor guy clean the rim. I brought with me a roll of shop towels and some STP engine degreaser.

See below, it was a runny lake in the tire. You can also see the backside of the Smittybilt tire plug.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 04-24-2017, 06:03 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 85 Posts

Just bought the DYNAPLUG Pro Xtreme from a eBay vendor (7010 sales, 100% positive feedback) for $62.99 that also included shipping.

I prices it out on Amazon but because we're not a State and just a Territory, no free shipping. They wanted $25 to ship via USPS!
Old 04-29-2017, 08:49 PM
orange260z
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I tend to err on the side of caution so I'd probably have a plugged repair properly patched, but I also wouldn't worry about finishing a trip with a Dynaplug installed. I really think the purpose of the metal tip is to help get the plug through the tire casing and then capture it as the tool is retracted.
Dynaplug seems to promote their solution as a permanent fix - is there any reason NOT to believe this?

What is the issue with plugs, do they have a history of popping out? It seems to me that a solid piece of rubber vulcanized in the hole would be better than just a thin patch inside with a hole still through the tire... but I don't have experience with plugs.

I bought the Dynaplug Pro kit a year or two ago, unfortunately it didn't come with the nice zippered pouch then!
Old 04-30-2017, 11:37 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

good story, all is well that ends well. thanks for the heads up on what works.

I tend to always use a lawyer. I've paid anywhere from $150 - $600 in lawyer fees. But it's always been a worthwhile investment. I don't even consider trying to deal with it on my own. Those guys are buddies with the prosecutors/judges, it's actually a bit of a joke. Not a system of deterrent, only a revenue collection system.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:46 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
No safety check in CA. But tire shops are required to pull the tire and patch from the inside.
Really? My wife and I have picked up a number of nails over the years and the local station has plugged 'em every time. Never heard it wasn't legal.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:55 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 729 Posts

That information is from my current tire shop and previous one. Obviously YMMV.

FWIW, I average a repair every six weeks. These wide rears definitely pick after the fronts flick!!!

I'm hoping the highway construction is nearing an end. Then I'll respray the front and replace the windshield.

Quick Reply: Flat Tire - Smitty Yay! - P-Pump Yay! - P-Goo bad