Sponsored by:

Feel good thread of the day

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 09:27 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts
Default Feel good thread of the day

This is my Stuart Smiley post about how good my car is, and gosh darn it, I'm worth it.

Anyway. Every day, no every hour, I look at getting a new Porsche. This last fixation has been a 996 aero kit coupe with the taco wing. I think I need a coupe and not a convertible because of what I read on Renan list and hear on you tube. Cabs weigh too much, men over 40 should not drive a cab (that's Jeremy Clarkson), cabs are not real 911's, the roof line is ruined, they are too flimsy, yada yada yada.

So I am insecure and want to man up and get a coupe.

But then today was 70, sunny, spring and I put the tip down and drove home from the track meet. And I realized I really feel bad for all of you coupe drivers. One day a year is enough to make the drop top worth it.

Oh - and it is better looking with the top up and down, with the hard top not so much

Ok. I feel better
Old 04-18-2017, 09:35 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with you... I own both a coupe and a cab.
My goto car is the cab with top down driving through Yosemite or the HWY1 on a warm spring day... nothing better for me!
Old 04-18-2017, 10:16 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

These are great cars. Drove my 997 on sunny Easter Sunday and kept wondering why I'd ever need a 991.2 GTS. Or why I waste hours on the configurator.

Btw. Lots of us coupe guys do fine with the window down and sunroof open. :+)
Old 04-19-2017, 09:49 AM
Jaskfri
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Nothing beats dropping the top whenever the weather is right. I don't care if I'm a little heavier/slower.

This is my first 911 and my first convertible. I had 7 Corvette coupes and took the clear roof off frequently but a convertible is a whole different thing. I think it looks great with the top up or down and I love the closed coupe feeling when driving with it up. Great car.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:18 AM
keinmitleid
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cab owner here too (though not by choice, long story...). I was leary of having a cab, but in the end I really enjoy top down drives, especially in autumn/spring (I've had other convertibles before (s2000, f355) so I definitely enjoy convertibles anyways).

Keep in the mind the cab was designed first, so Porsche did a good job of keeping the weights of the two close enough.

I live in NOVA, and driving fast/speeding can lead to instant jail time, so I don't care if my cab is "fatter", 385hp is already more than enough to get in serious trouble here.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:12 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Keep doing what makes you happy.
I currently don't like the reflection in the bathroom mirror.
All I can see in the cars rear view mirror, is my smile & teeth.
They really mean ... "Happy motoring".

Quick Reply: Feel good thread of the day