Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 09:25 PM
CMA
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RMS - Leak or Seepage?

Hey Everyone,

I am on the hunt for my first 911...

I just had a PPI done for a potential 997.1 purchase. It was done by a mobile mechanic who noted that there was seepage in from the RMS (photos attached).

I have not seen this car in person yet (a few states away so was relying on a PPI to work out if i wanted to take further)

From the the community's perspective does this look like 'normal' seepage or a leak that would need to be immediately fixed?

Thanks

Craig

Old 04-09-2017, 12:22 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,794 Likes on 4,326 Posts

Your 2nd pic looks like seepage migrating along the threads of the bolts used to hold the case halves together, which is often misdiagnosed as an RMS leak. If so, it is easily remedied by removing each bolt, cleaning the threads, putting some oil resistant RTV/silicone on the threads, re-installing, and tightening to the proper torque, then moving on to the next one, doing only one at a time so the case doesn't come apart. If the leak looks like what I show in these pictures of my car, that should solve the issue.

My leak was bad enough that after a high RPM spirited drive, it would actually create a small puddle on the floor, but not after a normal drive. It's been bone dry for a couple years now after I did this repair procedure. If it is an RMS leak, you should have someone pull the seal and use the Porsche measuring jig to make sure the opening is still in spec - if not, it will always leak. If it is in spec, a new seal should fix the leak, but once you get that far in, if the car has the small IMS bearing (early 2005s), that should be replaced with The IMS Solution.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:00 PM
CMA
Track Day

Thanks for this info
The following users liked this post:
Al Allen (04-06-2022)
Old 04-10-2017, 04:11 PM
white rock
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seepage. Typical on the m96 engines.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:50 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Op - It may not make any difference to you at this point, but Porsche defines a leak when the fluid hits the ground (or under body panels). Seep is anything else. I know this from a leak I once had and could not get warranty coverage until their criteria was fully met.
The following users liked this post:
Al Allen (04-06-2022)
Old 04-10-2017, 04:54 PM
CMA
Track Day

Thanks - My main worry was is this something I should automatically avoid and keep looking, but it sounds like it is fairly common and not a deal killer.

Quick Reply: RMS - Leak or Seepage?