Sponsored by:

Coolant flush on a 997.2 9A1 DIY

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 12:07 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,178 Posts

Originally Posted by Phrog Phlyer
I just finished changing the coolant on my 09 C4S (9A1 engine) and with the help of the thread and the forum, it was very easy. I only took off the rearward most underbody cover and everything I needed was accessible. As most have done already - I started with the 2 screw plugs, one below the water pump and one on the water tube, passenger side of engine.

I got about 2.75 gallons of coolant from the 2 drains. I also used my compressor (set at 40psi) (the best air to use is something high volume low pressure like a leaf blower but I couldn't get it to seal correctly) and UView (https://www.amazon.com/UView-550000-.../dp/B0002SRH5G) to blow into the coolant reservoir, although only about another pint or so came out. Next I uncoupled the coolant tube on the passenger side of the car (easiest one to get to). I got about 1/2 a gallon on the initial drain but then after using the compressed air into the reservoir another 2 gals. came out and as mentioned before if too much air pressure is used it goes everywhere. So short bursts at first then as the system empties longer bursts are ok. The total was about 2.5 gallons.

Next I undid the 2 heater lines on the driver side of the car - sorry no pictures - and I uncoupled the other coolant tube that is right above the heater lines. All told 2 heater lines and the coolant tube about 3/4 gal. for a total system drain of right at 6 gallons. The owners manual says 7.63-8.32 gal. I think the 8.32 must be with the 3rd radiator. So I was 1 1/2 gal short. Although, when I was running air thru the system there was not a lot of gurgling going on so it seemed fairly empty. Then I filled the system up using the Binford 5000, I mean my UView and drained everything again the same way. The second time the exact same amount - 6 gallons - was captured. Filling the system back with a 50/50 mix of cool refreshing coolant. the Uview or comparable device is the only way to go. It works great!! In the end, I took a record for me - 12 gallons of used coolant down to the local Valvoline shop for disposal.
Nice job on it.

What did you use for replacement coolant?

Old 08-22-2021, 12:51 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,545 Likes on 932 Posts

2009 C2S 174K miles

Great job Phil! Good to know you got out 6 gallons. I got out just a bit over 6 Gallons but did not open the bottom lines like you did. So this tells me, you don't have to follow proper procedure, as you did, and can still get out the same amount. I used my pancake air compressor to blow out the lines and it sure did go everywhere. I suspect my compressor adequately pushed the fluid in the low lines up the 6-7 inches to where I had the drain point.

My DIY here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...2-9a1-diy.html

I noticed your spent fluid was cherry-red like mine was. As I noted in my write-up, my friend from Ford noted that when coolant gets old, it gets darker. I feel that this "lifetime" crap is just that... crap.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 08-22-2021 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-22-2021, 04:41 PM
Phrog Phlyer
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
Nice job on it.

What did you use for replacement coolant?
Ironman -
My car originally came with the OAT Pink stuff, free of borate, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, silicate and amines, and I wanted to continue to use what came with the car. In 2011 the HPFP was replaced along with the coolant and either they used a different coolant or the pink stuff turned more red as Bruce noted. And it is not the colorization of the photos - In the water bottles it really looks as red as the pictures look. However, before I bottled the old coolant and it was in a big catch tray it looked more like the Zerex Orange stuff. Further, in 2010 Porsche changed the coolant to the Purple stuff. So when the dealer did the HPFP in 2011 they clearly did not use the purple stuff.

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 174K miles

Great job Phil! Good to know you got out 6 gallons. I got out just a bit over 6 Gallons but did not open the bottom lines like you did. So this tells me, you don't have to follow proper procedure, as you did, and can still get out the same amount. I used my pancake air compressor to blow out the lines and it sure did go everywhere. I suspect my compressor adequately pushed the fluid in the low lines up the 6-7 inches to where I had the drain point.

My DIY here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...2-9a1-diy.html

I noticed your spent fluid was cherry-red like mine was. As I noted in my write-up, my friend from Ford noted that when coolant gets old, it gets darker. I feel that this "lifetime" crap is just that... crap.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Yea Bruce I also do not feel any fluid is good for the lifetime of the vehicle. I also have not idea why the fluid is red. Toyota and some other Asian cars use the red stuff but Porsche does not.

Last edited by Phrog Phlyer; 08-22-2021 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-22-2021, 05:23 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,178 Posts

The key question is how Porsche defines "lifetime".

I think I read somewhere that lifetime to Porsche means 10 years...

Quick Reply: Coolant flush on a 997.2 9A1 DIY