Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 08:02 PM
Canyonshark
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Feal 997 coilover kit

Originally Posted by stoked_on_spool
Hello Rennlist,

I purchased a 997.1 C2 back in December and it's been a fantastic car. The front left strut on my car is beginning to fail so I've been looking at replacing everything with a coilover system with adjustable height and rebound/compression.

My car is a daily driver so I'm looking to find the smoothest riding coilovers I can for under $4k. I tracked my previous car 2-4x a year for weekend long HPDE's and plan on doing the same thing with this 911. I would like the susp I choose to be as good or better than stock on the street AND track leaning towards a more comfortable daily driver.

Coilovers on my radar are Ohlins R&T, Bilstein PSS9, KW V3, and have read decent things on BC Racing also.

I would love to hear feedback (and I've searched extensively on the topic) before I pull the trigger on my own personal car. I live in San Diego and if anyone has any of the modified suspension packages and is willing to give me a ride to feel them out, I will buy tacos or burritos (maybe even a beer too!)

TLDR: Smooth coilovers for daily driving that won't feel like a boat on the track

-Bret

(Pic of car because everyone loves pictures )
Hello,

I just wanted to check in and maybe update this forum a bit. I know that Feal suspension makes a coilover kit for the 997 as well. They are roughly in the same price range as the BC coil overs, but I have heard that these perform very well in both street and racing applications. Does anyone have any experience with these on their 997? I am really thinking about pulling the trigger on the kit. There is a lot more information on the website for the coil over kit here is a link: https://fealsuspensionstore.com/feal...rsche-997-2wd/

Old 01-23-2024, 08:24 PM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 43 Posts

At that price point, you are much better off with a quality shock and spring kits like Eibach springs + Bilstein B8 for performance and reliability. Unless you can get the shocks dyno'd, going with offbrand or white label coilovers is a complete crap shoot doesn't matter what kind of cars you have, whether it is a BRZ or a GT3.
Old 02-01-2024, 08:00 PM
Canyonshark
6th Gear

Default Feal coilovers

Hello I do appreciate the response.

I really like the idea of a height adjustable coilover. I did actually call the guys at Feal suspension and they were super knowledgeable and gave me lots of insight. If there is anyone out there who has actually run these coilovers on their 997 I would really appreciate the input.
Old 02-02-2024, 06:33 PM
arscottp
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 135 Posts

Im running Feal 441s. Pretty solid street coilover for the price. IMO the best budget coil over you can buy before you start getting into KW, Bilstein, Ohlin, etc.
The spring rates are on the higher side, same as Ohlins which is higher than Bilsteins and OEM GT3. If you want max comfort look at the spring rates various coilovers come with. The guys at Feal can also spec out a new set with Swift springs at whatever spring rate you want .
Old 02-02-2024, 10:55 PM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by arscottp
Im running Feal 441s. Pretty solid street coilover for the price. IMO the best budget coil over you can buy before you start getting into KW, Bilstein, Ohlin, etc.
The spring rates are on the higher side, same as Ohlins which is higher than Bilsteins and OEM GT3. If you want max comfort look at the spring rates various coilovers come with. The guys at Feal can also spec out a new set with Swift springs at whatever spring rate you want .
Spring rate has really not that much influence in ride comfort.

What you should look at is shock’s high speed damping response. Ask them to provide proper shock dyno charts and how their compare to the stock Bilstein B4.
Old 02-03-2024, 12:29 AM
r_towle
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 43 Posts

I’m with you on your quest.
i had a weird experience with a lot of the rubber on my 2005 cayenne just falling apart when we were hunting for front end wobble. We replaced all of it.

my 2006 997.1 C2 cab is now at 100k miles, and it wobbles.
i ended up buying everything that has any rubber in it, along with other rubber bits, seals, upper strut bearing etc….all of it.
i have pasm so I bought stock replacement struts….they worked fine when new.

for a street car, spring rarely need replacement unless you need to change height or spring rate.

i do think that whatever rubber that was used in the 2005-2006 timeframe was a bad mix that dries out too much.

total front end package, ~2k from FCP Euro, delivered as promised.

not a bad price and hopefully it won’t be a terribly hard project.
i am looking forward to new, tight, and confident responsive steering again.

because I’m me….i will most likely do the back suspension next….so i know its all new.

rich
Old 02-03-2024, 01:44 AM
PatrickBateman
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 79 Posts

I like my Feal coilovers with Swift springs. Adjustable dampening allows for a soft ride when I want and a stiff sporty one for track and spirited drives.
The following users liked this post:
ATX_Native (02-03-2024)
Old 02-03-2024, 03:37 AM
BRN9121
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm on Ohlins and I can't believe how amazing they are.
Old 02-03-2024, 07:45 PM
r_towle
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 43 Posts

Fair warning. I had to go to harbor freight again….sigh (I’m a tool nut)

got inner and outer tie rod tools after reading and watching a few videos.

ATX_Native (02-03-2024)
Old 02-03-2024, 08:59 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 771 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickBateman
I like my Feal coilovers with Swift springs. Adjustable dampening allows for a soft ride when I want and a stiff sporty one for track and spirited drives.
You in Austin?
Old 02-07-2024, 02:38 PM
Canyonshark
6th Gear

Thank you all for your input. After speaking with Feal a few times and seeing the positive feedback on this forum I have placed my order with Feal suspension. Looking forward to getting the Feal coilovers on my 997!
Old 02-07-2024, 02:48 PM
PatrickBateman
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ATX_Native
You in Austin?
in Dallas / la / kc! You ever in Dallas?
Old 02-24-2024, 07:25 PM
tsulli1
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a related question.

A previous owner had installed Ohlins R/Ts with the PASM cancellation kit, but I'd like to utilize the PASM feature, so I just purchased B16s for my C4S.

All of the DIY install video's I've seen show some sort of adjustable control arms, dogbones, etc being added during the install. It seems the rationale is that these parts are to correct the suspension geometry on a lowered vehicle. (I'm no suspension expert by any means, but I'd like to install the B16's myself.)

While my car was clearly lowered on the Ohlins, it doesn't appear that any adjustable aftermarket parts (control arms, etc.) were ever installed. Everything other than the Ohlins looks stock to me.

Are these additional adjustable parts absolutely necessary?
Old 02-24-2024, 09:56 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,457 Likes on 4,116 Posts

Absolutely necessary....no - the right way to do it, yes. You need to be able to eliminate preload from the sway bar and also want the ends parallel to the ground for proper force geometry. There no way to do those things with the original fixed length drop links once you lower the car.
​​​​​​
Old 02-25-2024, 02:26 AM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 471 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by tsulli1
I have a related question.

A previous owner had installed Ohlins R/Ts with the PASM cancellation kit, but I'd like to utilize the PASM feature, so I just purchased B16s for my C4S.

All of the DIY install video's I've seen show some sort of adjustable control arms, dogbones, etc being added during the install. It seems the rationale is that these parts are to correct the suspension geometry on a lowered vehicle. (I'm no suspension expert by any means, but I'd like to install the B16's myself.)

While my car was clearly lowered on the Ohlins, it doesn't appear that any adjustable aftermarket parts (control arms, etc.) were ever installed. Everything other than the Ohlins looks stock to me.

Are these additional adjustable parts absolutely necessary?
It’s dependant on how much you intend lowering the car, if you only plan on lowering 10-20mm, adjustable (often Rose jointed) dog bones, coffin arms, tuning forks and toe arms are not a necessity.

And whilst technically it’s good practice to fit at least one adjustable sway bar drop link on both the front and rear of the car, again it’s not a necessity.

Personally, if you’re not going to be slamming the car onto the deck, I’d check to see how much sway bar preload has resulted from the lowering process after the fitment of the coil overs, and then make a judgement call on the basis of those findings.
If it’s minimal, I wouldn’t bother, especially if you’re not going to be corner-weighting the car.

Last edited by Atgani; 02-25-2024 at 02:30 AM.
tsulli1 (02-29-2024)

Quick Reply: Smoothest Street Coilovers