Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low compression in #6 (new guy post)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 05:48 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 274 Posts

It's been nearly a year, and I've posted glimpses of what's going on in other threads, but I figured I would update this original thread with a status. This has been a slow process, as this is but one of many projects spinning at any given time. I'm going to spare the sordid details (and there are a few) and just give a quick synopsis.

At this point, everything is back from the machine shop, and I need to start with the re-assembly. Another forum member who is local to me and is a Raby class "grad" has agreed to provide his tools, knowledge, and general hand-holding while I attack the more nuanced areas of the assembly. The plan is to take a day and get the short block together. From there, I will press forward on my own, with the hopes of driving the car this summer.

In the mean time, I tripped over a fantastic Craigslist deal on an 05 C2, so I bought that. As soon as I sell my gorgeous 25k mile 2000 M Roadster I will be able to register the 05.

I'll try to be better about updating...maybe even with some actual detail..
Old 04-29-2018, 07:54 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,418 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
It's been nearly a year, and I've posted glimpses of what's going on in other threads, but I figured I would update this original thread with a status. This has been a slow process, as this is but one of many projects spinning at any given time. I'm going to spare the sordid details (and there are a few) and just give a quick synopsis.

At this point, everything is back from the machine shop, and I need to start with the re-assembly. Another forum member who is local to me and is a Raby class "grad" has agreed to provide his tools, knowledge, and general hand-holding while I attack the more nuanced areas of the assembly. The plan is to take a day and get the short block together. From there, I will press forward on my own, with the hopes of driving the car this summer.

In the mean time, I tripped over a fantastic Craigslist deal on an 05 C2, so I bought that. As soon as I sell my gorgeous 25k mile 2000 M Roadster I will be able to register the 05.

I'll try to be better about updating...maybe even with some actual detail..
2000 M Roadster.... yea, I almost purchased one of those... fabulous car I thought.... then I took a drive in 1999 Boxster..... that Porsche handled in a totally different class..... so I plunked down a deposit on a 2000 Boxster S.... never drove the S, dealers had none to test drive... I just purchased it because it had more horse power as the base was pretty anemic. Both are great cars.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-11-2018, 01:17 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 274 Posts

Sorry to leave this thread so sparsely undated. My original intent was to fully document with photos along the way, but I really wasn't breaking any new ground, and documenting the process is almost as much work as actually doing the build. Updating now with what I hope the final story is.

The car has 500 miles on the rebuild, and it passed Connecticut Emissions today. The reassembly went much smoother than I anticipated, especially considering how long the car had been apart and that few things were bagged or labeled. So far, the car is running great and I'm switching from break in oil to conventional oil to finish the break in. I have a case of synthetic waiting in the wings.

As you may have guessed from other posts, there were a few issues along the way. Here are a few that I've posted about and a few that I didn't:
- The JE pistons were not made with the recess to accept the faultless wrist pin tool. This was a show stopper while the pistons were reworked.
- I could not locate the fuel pump relay and did not have Durametric on hand, so I had to wire up directly to the fuel pump to remove the old fuel from the tank
- Both primary O2 sensors died (codes for heater elements) during their vacation from the car
- Also unhappy was the bank two vario-cam solenoid

Other than that, this was a truly interesting trip. I would not hesitate to do it again. I have new respect for Porsche, and the elegant simplicity of these engines.

Thanks to all who replied to my posts on the forum and who posted information on their own trials and tribulations. This forum was invaluable. Also thanks to an unnamed forum member who offered advice and tools, also invaluable...I guess I should return that stuff now.

Happy motoring.

Quick Reply: Low compression in #6 (new guy post)