Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The First 500 Miles in My First 997: 33 Lessons Learned for New Buyers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 07:24 PM
AltVelo
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Congrats and great of you to share! I share the same opinions on much of what you noted.

In regards to "S" cars, I noticed they were more equipment than the non "S". So the higher asking price me was more justified. The brakes show how incredible they are with repeated use.

You've done quite a few mods already. I missed how long ago you bought the car.

Though the Bay Area has a lot of Porsche, I rarely see 997's around... mostly Macan and Cayenne's.

In regards to the mufflers mods, I have the Super Gundo which is both. I'm local and welcome to listen if you like. Still very mellow in terms of decibels but a very distinct note.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:44 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ervin881
Autocorrect... that should read gummi pflege
is this stuff avail at stores?
Old 03-28-2017, 07:50 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkhorse
Black trim, try Ultima - Tire & Trim Guard Plus. I use a plastic and foam shoe polish applicator (3 pack from Amazon) and foam paint touch-up "brushes" (cheap from Home Depot) to apply it. Buff it off with a microfiber towel. Clean the plastic thoroughly first, then follow the directions.
Originally Posted by rodH
is this stuff avail at stores?
Opps, after reading more, it sounds like this Ultima is the better product.

"27 Squeaks and rattles - the first thing you will notice is it’s a noisy cabin. However you will get used to it after a few minutes in the car. I had a rattle in my passenger seat latch that was driving me nuts. I read you just shoot some WD40 in the latch and that solved it immediately. My dashboard will rattle around the center speaker if im driving in downtown SF with terrible roads. On normal roads its fine. "

Anyone have any more info about the seat rattle fix? I think this is where one of my rattles if from

And I also have some rattling around the middle speaker as well, on rough roads, is there there a common fix?

TIA
Old 03-28-2017, 08:27 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 443 Likes on 161 Posts

@daddyscar - thanks for the route recommendation! I will definitely hit it. I've only done Lucas Valley Road to date.

@AltVelo - where did you get the Gundo done in SF? I havent found any muffler shops around that know it. Both Hi-Tech and S-Car-Go weren't familiar with it, although Hitech researched it after I mentioned it. I was planning to get the Fister instead.

@Rodh - I had a rattle inside the passenger seat latch that was at ear level and super annoying. Shooting WD40 in the latch fixed it. Don't go overboard with the WD40. I had it dripping out of the latch the next day.

I also have the center speaker rattle that comes and goes. If i'm driving through the city with tons of pot holes it will start rattling and then continue to rattle on ever small bump all the way home. The next day it will go away when driving over the same bumps. My assumption is the plastic on plastic surface friction needs a could big jolts to break it free. Its not been persistent enough for me to find a solution...but keep me posted if you do.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:41 PM
Darkhorse
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Eibach springs and spacers

Ten years ago, when I was pre-911, I installed Eibach lowering springs with 7mm and 15mm spacers on my 986 Boxster shortly after I bought the car to address the tall ride height. I loved the look, the ride, and the handling. I don't remember ever scraping the front. My 997.2 C4S and came with PASM, so I won't do it with this car, but for most 911s and Boxsters it's a great mod that's moderately priced and easy to do if you have a little room with a flat surface to safely jack the car.

Originally Posted by jsalah
Aahahahah... LMAO

Agree 100%. I have 7mm/15mm spacers and lowered on Techarts (just more expensive Eibachs, most people will claim, but that's another topic). The point is the combo is an absolutely indispensable mod on a 911 in my opinion for both handling and "stance" (I hate that word because it conjures up a "slammed" image in people's minds, which is certainly NOT what you end up with here...)

You might scrape a little more -- I do -- but I try to take it really easy on my driveway and cross the end of it (and other driveways, curb cuts etc.) at a bit of a bias where I can, it cuts down on the scraping. I figure if I scrape up the underside of my front bumper here and there a little, that's OK, not gonna stress about it too much. That's part of its job...
Old 03-29-2017, 12:40 AM
Cotechia
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Amazing post. Just starting my get my 997, these lessons are good ones! Thanks for sharing
Old 03-29-2017, 01:05 AM
Harry Da Hamster
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ervin881
Autocorrect... that should read gummi pflege
I have Gummi Pflege at home but never thought to use it on the exterior window trim... Will try when i get home
Old 03-29-2017, 04:02 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The parlance Gundo vs. Fister has always been an East-Coast / West Coast thing. With Darin Fister being the west-coast fave. It's a good call to go with Darin's sport mufflers, and I recommend opting for the ceramic coating just to help keep the heat down in the engine bay.

Also, he can install them faster than you can walk to the corner bodega and eat a couple of delicious tamales and walk back to his shop.

I'll email you a quote from S•Car•Go for the spring install - got a quote before going with the coil overs. I went with the coil overs for a few reasons; adjustability, PASM compatible, plays nice with the TPC DSC controller, and my OEM shocks and struts were getting a little long in the tooth.

The quote is a year or two old now but will serve as a reasonable estimate for budgeting.

Sounds like if your friends all go in on 997's we'll have a pretty tight local crew around here!

- Dan
Old 03-29-2017, 12:27 PM
AltVelo
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

You will have a hard time finding a shop locally due to material(SS). Easiest route is as you noted, just get on from Fister.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:30 PM
FlaHeel
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=daddyscar;14063868]Congratulations. My first 911 was also a 2006 Carrera which I got from Sonnen, now Porsche of Marin. Loved it and would be perfectly happy being back in it. QUOTE]

Funny, my first 911 was a 1987 Carrera that I bought from Sonnen in 1993. I also wish I had never gotten rid of that car. I traded it for a new 1993 964 Cab that turned out to be a lemon, had been around the world in the Auto shows.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:31 AM
TargaFirst
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Great work, Bruce, in starting the thread.

Bought mine in Dallas 3 1/2 years ago and drove it back home- great way to get comfortable with everything Porsche. I was NOT expecting the reaction from other people- on the highway other cars would roll down their window, wave and take photos! Cool!

A couple of additions if you don't mind;
First- RAC in Plano is stellar- I had my PPI done there and they were really good- and the bonus was the amazing cars of all makes they have on the floor there, too.
One issue I experienced with my '07 997.1 Targa 4S that was NOT caught in the PPI was a wiring harness issue causing a voltage drop between the alternator and the battery. After closing the sale I noticed the car was starting sluggishly after short drives- as a newbie Porsche owner I thought it was a warmed up engine/ expansion issue, but then my battery failed.
I replaced the battery only to have THAT one fail- and never measured the voltage getting TO the battery from the alternator. To make a long story short, Downtown Porsche here diagnosed it as a wiring issue between the battery and the alternator. A full wiring harness replacement later, and the car has been trouble free since, starting instantly and reliably.
It was mentioned that 997.1's MAY have wiring issues- so if you have any sluggishness upon the key turn, I'd suggest measuring the drop between the alternator and the battery.

As for gas mileage, I've been getting around 15 mpg city and 19 mpg highway on 94 octane, which is all I put in.
I must add I cannot be more happy about my Porsche purchase, and researched the market as you did. Although I winter store my car (salt on the roads up here in winter is brutal), I drive it every day between April and November. I DE it at Mosport every chance I can, and interestingly, have very little Porsche upgrade envy. (maybe a little- GT3 perhaps?)
Old 03-30-2017, 10:58 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

Wow, great post.

For number 3 (prices), almost all cars increase in Spring - that's normal and common.

For number 23 (tire age), that's a good one. I found 11-yr-old tires on the car I purchased, believe it or not.

All the little things (and some big things) add up to the value of the car, what a good car should cost, or rather, what you can steal a car for. Many of these cars have listing prices that are inline with each other, and that's because of a marketing problem. But the quality differences among these cars is vast, and those searching for a really good example need to focus on all these details.

Which is why I agree with you 100% that one should not purchase a car without seeing it.

Great looking car and nice find!
Old 03-30-2017, 01:22 PM
sessionstu
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Great post. Thanks for the info.

I'm in the market for a 2006 - 2010 997. More than likely I'll wait until fall/winter when the prices drop (hopefully) or at least stay the same. What do you think is a realistic negotiation price? 10 - 15% With Porsches holding their value, I believe there isn't much room to move. From your experience, when buying from an owner is there more room to negotiate. Dealers are notorious for not wiling to budge. I have to admit I'm terrible when it comes to buying cars. I always pay too much.

Thanks,
Old 03-31-2017, 12:36 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

@TargaFirst - that's cool! I totally remember your car!

When I was hunting for the Targa 4s of my dreams, the one in your garage came up - and it looks like we probably pulled our wallets out around the same time but for different cars! haha - glad to see where that Targa landed, I was going to fly down and check it out myself when the C2S Cab appeared out of the blue and stole my heart.

I think I still have all the screen shots of that car from their website which I used to pour over obsessively while searching for The One.

- d

Glad to hear that the car has been rock solid for you.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:15 PM
TargaFirst
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Comanche- Interestingly enough, I was ready to fly into LAX first to check out a C4S cab in Huntington Beach, but it sold before I boarded the plane- switched to DFW and as soon as I test drove it- WOW!

I was praying the PPI came up clean, but other than one horn not working and one of the power seat motors needing replacing, (which the seller fixed btw) it was fine.
I detailed the wiring harness issue in an earlier post, and that was a $2k hit to the wallet I wasn't expecting, but other than normal maintenance, all great.

The great thing with the Targa (and the Cab) is that its a sports car you can take your significant other out to dinner in, and the next day take to the track.

Very cool story that we were eying the same car. I agree that car loved the camera, and I must have looked at those photos a hundred times before calling.

It looks like you did very well with your acquisition, too!!

Quick Reply: The First 500 Miles in My First 997: 33 Lessons Learned for New Buyers.