Sponsored by:

Dension install questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 07:09 PM
Lugnutty
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Dension install questions

Apparently, I am not qualified to install this unit! I have some questions.

Is there any indicator that the unit is receiving power? I think I have it correctly wired and spliced but nothing happens.

Should my radio still work when the fiber is disconnected from the back of the PCM?

I haven't had it programmed yet. When I give the CD button a long press I get a "No CD changer" message.

I'm a little confused by the directions included. It says to take the orange cable "IN" cable and plug that into the Denison. So I remove the inbound cable from the connector, use the butt splice connector to connect it to the inbound cable on a new connector, then plug that connector into the left side connector on the unit, next to the power cable plug.

Then I take the outbound cable from the new connector, plug that into the inbound side of the connector on the pcm.

Is that right?

Thanks!

Last edited by Lugnutty; 02-18-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:34 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Jon - did you buy from us? We send very detailed instructions when we ship....but let me know and I'll see what I can do to assist.

Radio should not work when fiber is removed. What year/model vehicle and which head unit?

But yes on question above - remove inbound optical from back of PCM, plug into first port beside power connector, add extra optical from kit right beside it in same port, then run that back to the PCM connector.

Power should be unswitched/constant, best from fuse panel but can be tapped from PCM/Radio or Lighter.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 02-19-2017, 11:05 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

It should light up. Also you have to have the cd changer enabled, which if you don't have one can be hit or miss.

I installed mine. Instructions little vague but I made it work. Basically splicing in the unit to the fiber optic system.

Hope you get it, I like it.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:05 PM
Lugnutty
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I did buy from BumperPlugs a few weeks ago.

It's a 2006 C4 with the stock PCM 2.1, I think. It has the keypad on it. It looks just like this one.

When I unplug the fiber optic connector from the back, the radio still plays. It does have red light coming out when I unplug it.

For power, I used a quicksplice to attach the Dension's black wire to pin 8 on the bottom connector of the radio, brown wire that says ground on the wiring diagram. I quickspliced the red wire to pin 4, which says constant 12v. That one is red and green, I think. Maybe reddish and white. Now I can't remember the exact color but it was definitely pin 4.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:01 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

On the connector port, there is a blue LED. Is it steady, off, on, flashing or something else?

Radio on with inbound fiber detached is strange. There are some rare cases where these radios did not have optical amps (mostly in GT3), and the wiring is setup differently for the Dension install. Can you ID the amp in the front trunk, and if so, do you see orange wiring going in/out?

Email me directly with answers if you can sometime today and I'll jump on it: info@bumperplugs.com

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Dension install questions