dualexhaust
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From the clutch/transmission onwards, what parts are involved

"The hip bone's connected to the back bone
The back bone's connected to the neck bone,
The neck bone's connected to the head bone,
Now shake dem skeleton bones!"

I want to understand more about the 911, and I am sure this is more a general question to all cars but here goes.

In terms of part wear etc., other than the clutch what other drivetrain related parts are there that tend to wear on high mileage cars?

Basically I want to understand, from the clutch and transmission onwards, how does the power get to the ground
Old 02-17-2017, 05:13 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 104 Posts

Transmission fluid.
Synchro gears.
(not sure if you're considering the throw-out bearing, clutch fork, and pressure plate when you say "clutch")
Old 02-17-2017, 10:27 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Best advice I can offer is visit Wikipedia and search for articles on manual transmissions. Manual transmissions at least in modern cars are all pretty much alike.

Essentially the power comes in via the input shaft and is transmitted via constant mesh gear sets to the output shaft which turns a pinion gear that meshes with a crown gear that then turns the axles.

The gear teeth really don't wear. (Their shape, involute, results in a rolling action rather than a wiping action.) The syncros can wear. The gear dogs -- the part that actually engages/disengages when gears are shifted -- can wear, round off and the transmission can jump out of gear.

The shifter forks can wear -- or get bent -- in which case a gear won't engage or possibly can engage then pop out of engagement. Besides the shifter forks there is the shift linkage proper. I had the shift linkage on my 2003 Turbo fail at around 30K miles. Never had that happen before or since with any car.

At the diff the gears are hypoid and involute and these are long wearing (and quiet).

Might add there are a number of bearings in the transmission and differential and all it takes is one go wear out get noisy or come apart and the transmission (or diff) needs some TLC (or replacement) to address this.

There are a number of seals, too, and a bad one can require the transmission (or diff) be removed and "rebuilt". (My 2003 Turbo 6-speed was replaced under (CPO) warranty due to a leaking selector shaft seal.) (Might also add my Turbo's front diff developed leaking axle flange seals but these were replaced with the diff in the car.)

In all my years of driving I've never worn out a gear box, or a diff. Of course I have the transmission fluid changed periodically but don't go over board and have it changed all that often.

(My 2002 Boxster with over 308K miles on its 5-speed gets its fluid changed every 90K to 60k miles. The factory calls for 90K mile changes, IIRC.)

In the clutch department I've had a throw out bearing fail (at around 150K miles) but this was in a '96 Ford Mustang GT, not a Porsche.

Manual gear boxes if treated with some respect and empathy and this includes periodic fluid changes can last a long time. Might add for cars that have a hydraulic clutch that shares fluid with the brake system it is important the brake (and clutch) fluid be flushed/bled every 2 years.

Quick Reply: From the clutch/transmission onwards, what parts are involved