Wing Up or Down

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 08:00 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by extanker
is that the manly way
That would scare away the Honda's and Scion's!!
Old 02-17-2017, 10:09 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I'll admit to pushing the button up when on a spirited drive where otherwise it would be going up and down every few minutes. Wear and tear and all they.
This...especially re the wear.

I get to primarily drive on twisties and on certain roads, the spoiler will want to go up & down more than necessary, especially on some tight coastal canyons on Shoreline and up onto the Sonoma Coast. Like most of us, when driving under these driving circumstances, I prefer to keep two hands on the wheel (and eyes on the road!)

And as someone else mentioned, it is really easy to remember to clean inside the spoiler housing when I arrive home (and I've forgotten to put the spoiler down!)

I actually haye hate the look of it when it's deployed but luckily I can't see it inside.
No hate from me.

I like the look of the Tart from most perspectives...and I wish that I did have a way to see the spoiler up once in a while. (Perhaps that is one reason I like to drive with other 997s?!)

That said, I especially like the clean lines when the spoiler is down.

The one beef that I have with the spoiler's functionality is the one related to the speed up/down settings of this model year (all 997.2s?). Programability would be nice...
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Lhotes (07-29-2022)
Old 03-04-2017, 01:08 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other day I'm in Walnut Creek, CA with wife in my 4S. Saw a turbo in the gas station. GT Silver so it caught my eye since mine is Arctic Silver. He pulls out of station in front of us and is at the light. I was explaining the visual differences to determine a turbo by looks compared to mine.

Right when I was talking about the wing difference and how I like the look of the turbo wing the driver puts up the wing while stopped at the light.

Wife says he was showing off. I thought it was funny for him to put it up since we were stopped. Once the light went green you can guess he drove away quickly. LOL

Guess he likes the wing Up.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:38 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I routinely drive in such a way as to NOT deploy the tail. (It comes up at ACTUAL 75mph--77 INDICATED). I try to keep it down most of the time to keep parasitic drag to a minimum. Over a long trip, the additional drag will impact your mileage.

I deploy it manually when it rains so that have added downforce when I can really benefit from it.

When in a group of other 997s, those drivers think my tail is broken. Nope. I just keep it under 77.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:21 AM
keinmitleid
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm about 50% wing up, even when stuck in traffic or commuting to work. I like the way it looks

I also think it's amusing that it would upset some people.
frybear (08-09-2022)
Old 03-10-2017, 10:27 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I routinely drive in such a way as to NOT deploy the tail. (It comes up at ACTUAL 75mph--77 INDICATED). I try to keep it down most of the time to keep parasitic drag to a minimum. Over a long trip, the additional drag will impact your mileage.

I deploy it manually when it rains so that have added downforce when I can really benefit from it.

When in a group of other 997s, those drivers think my tail is broken. Nope. I just keep it under 77.
i gadda share this beauty
Old 03-11-2017, 02:41 AM
caslca
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

My 10yr old hits the button every time he gets in - he loves the look. Also, every time the wing goes up automatically(at 60mph), I hit the button to keep it up to avoid unnecessary extra wear (~$$$$ repair)
Old 07-27-2022, 02:38 AM
racebannon
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tj40
True but I work in automotive and this was specifically told to me by a designer for a major global OEM as to why they put this function into one of their cars. :-)
You’re telling us that the speed-dependent spoiler deployment is to identify drivers breaking the speed limit? If you believe that, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell to you.
Old 07-27-2022, 05:34 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by racebannon
You’re telling us that the speed-dependent spoiler deployment is to identify drivers breaking the speed limit? If you believe that, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell to you.
Woah, what a thread bump!

The poster you quoted is not saying what you’re attributing to them. They are saying the ability to deploy the wing manually allows plausible deniability so that its auto deployment at 70 doesn’t work as proof of speed.

They are likely correct.
Tj40 (07-27-2022)
Old 07-27-2022, 09:32 AM
8x57IRS
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by david
[...] Programability would be nice...
It is programmable (limited), I can confirm 1 and 3 (Durametric)

1. You can set it off.
2. It can (should) be programmed to deploy when engine compartment reaches a certain temperature
3. It can be programmed to deploy when accelerating hard (half throttle)
4. It can (should) be programmed to deploy on startup when in sport mode
Old 07-27-2022, 12:30 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts

I too do not like the look when deployed ....Reminds me of the gay running group that runs thru my neighborhood all with no shirts on ....
Old 07-27-2022, 12:33 PM
racebannon
Rennlist Member

Hmm. It looked like he was responding to the “Radar is all that matters.” Maybe I’m mistaken.

TLDR I’ll let Porsche determine when my spoiler goes up and down lol.

Last edited by racebannon; 07-27-2022 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-27-2022, 01:26 PM
saxonite
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I leave mine up if I'm doing a spirited drive or track day that way its not constantly going up and down and occasionally I'll forget to lower it when I park. I do think its weird to see a car driving at low speeds with the spoiler up. I see Tesla SUV's doing this all the time.
Old 07-27-2022, 01:43 PM
racebannon
Rennlist Member

Agreed. However, I recently learned that the Tesla has a fixed spoiler. They briefly had them in early production runs, but almost all have a fixed spoiler. It looks no bueno in my opinion.
Old 07-27-2022, 01:46 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

I'll admit to pushing the button up when on a spirited drive where otherwise it would be going up and down every few minutes. Wear and tear and all they.

I actually haye hate the look of it when it's deployed but luckily I can't see it inside.
That's a proper reason to do it.

Last edited by ADias; 07-27-2022 at 01:52 PM.
racebannon (07-27-2022)

Quick Reply: Wing Up or Down