Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 Carrera misfire = complete lifter and camshaft replacement??

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 07:57 PM
mikemessi
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Any updates?
Old 07-23-2017, 10:48 AM
kepro74
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

please keep us posted here! i have the same now; misfire , always on #2, i changed spark plugs, coils, injector nozzle, tappets on no.2, changed variocam and valve lifter, checked valve springs, leak tested, compression checked...

All is GOOD, fault persists.

Need ideas pls! :-:
Old 07-23-2017, 04:33 PM
droptopguy
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kepro74
please keep us posted here! i have the same now; misfire , always on #2, i changed spark plugs, coils, injector nozzle, tappets on no.2, changed variocam and valve lifter, checked valve springs, leak tested, compression checked...

All is GOOD, fault persists.

Need ideas pls! :-:
No idea what is going on there. It sounds like you changed all the parts you were supposed to change. We did eventually get rid of the car above. It was just too much "up in the air" BS. Running fine at one point after some fuel treatments but traded it in anyway. As far as I know the problem later resurfaced and it had to have the entire offending bank's cam followers/lifters replaced. Was recently considering a 2013 991 Carrera but knowing it has the same engine I just don't know if I'm willing to chance it.
Old 08-20-2021, 09:09 PM
albi123
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by droptopguy
Wow this such a great community. I almost never get replies this thorough as a newb in most other forums.

to answer some of the questions... under 30k... the car tends to run notably rough right from startup. Never stalls but there is a notable "wop-wop-wop" to the idle and when cold you can even faintly see that pattern of that running in the exhaust puffs of the evaporating condensation. Once you take off it is semi rough until 45 mph or so at which point it really starts bucking against you. The PDK seems to really get confused by all this.

And again, this was the smoothest running car on the planet a couple of weeks ago. It was fine when we went to dinner, and did this on the way home. The only environmental change was that it was right after the last snap of VERY cold weather in south Texas. Perhaps a day or so later.

I agree about the variocam. That sounded like a promising lead until my old mechanic where I used to live said that would not likely be throwing codes for one cylinder but rather a bank for that side.
Going through the same thing , did coils , plugs, solenoid and an INJECTOR all to get to the real problem which was a burnt exhaust valve. Expensive lesson because I bought it without an over rev report because the dealer said it was all part of their 100 point inspection. Had a couple #4 revs by the previous owner
The following users liked this post:
kepro74 (08-21-2021)
Old 01-05-2022, 01:03 PM
spaceflowers
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default topping off gas might be the issue

I had similar issues, and found that I was overfilling the gas tank. I was topping off. When I stopped doing that, the problem disappeared. I stop fueling when the automatic sensor stops the pump. Stalling/stuttering issue absolutely gone since I used this method.
-2011 Carrera with 95K miles.
The following 2 users liked this post by spaceflowers:
groovzilla (01-05-2022), herbg (07-10-2023)
Old 07-10-2023, 08:42 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 98 Posts

Resurrecting this old post. After coming off the highway got a rough idle with associated check engine light. Pulled the same codes except the misfire and valve solenoid fault were for cylinder #1. Cleared the codes. Got a smooth startup but experienced the same symptoms and same codes after a highway jaunt. Indy shop recommended replacement of Camshaft and Valve Lifters on that bank. $3,200. 90k miles on a 2011 4S

Last edited by Hula; 07-10-2023 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-04-2023, 04:08 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Correcting the previous post to add to the knowledge base. I didn't need a new camshaft but the camshaft does need to be removed to replace the lifters. Also didn't need to replace all the lifters on the bank. Just the lifters on the misfiring cylinder. My mechanic blamed a pin in the internals of the lifter itself. He's seen this a couple of times before. Replacing the lifters solves the problem but labor is intensive. It's proper surgery.

Last edited by Hula; 08-04-2023 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-11-2023, 12:06 AM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Well my third post on this issue. Same original error popped up soon after the lifter replacement. My mechanic hooked up some diagnostics and let it idle for a few hours. He discovered an occasional short duration oil pressure drop off. The faulty part turned out to not be the sensor. Not the lifter. It was the oil pump regulating valve. Sounds scary. It's been three months and a few thousand miles since the valve replacement and I'm declaring victory.
Old 11-11-2023, 08:47 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Hula
Well my third post on this issue. Same original error popped up soon after the lifter replacement. My mechanic hooked up some diagnostics and let it idle for a few hours. He discovered an occasional short duration oil pressure drop off. The faulty part turned out to not be the sensor. Not the lifter. It was the oil pump regulating valve. Sounds scary. It's been three months and a few thousand miles since the valve replacement and I'm declaring victory.
Very interesting. This is with a 9A1 engine?

Keep this thread updated please.
Old 11-11-2023, 10:51 AM
SpectreH
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 50 Posts

I’m glad the issue was solved. Thanks for the follow up as well.
Old 11-11-2023, 11:09 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

hula, thanks for the updates ….good to know you found the culprit
Old 11-11-2023, 11:24 AM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 962 Posts

Strange this would only throw a misfire code on a single cyl?
Old 11-11-2023, 02:09 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
Very interesting. This is with a 9A1 engine?
Yep. Symptoms started at idle, soon after a start, with a "Oil pressure monitoring defective" warning on the dash with the indicated oil pressure dropping to zero. No change in engine idle. Lasted about 10 seconds before the warning self extinguished and the oil pressure needle jumped to a normal reading. It happened again a few weeks later so I figured a sensor going bad. Not a lot of data on this failure mode and difficult to reproduce but my mechanic agreed and replaced the oil pressure sensor. About 200 miles after the repair, coming off the highway and sitting at a light, I got the misfire and fault code. A restart solved the misfire but back to the shop. Code and misfire indicated bad lifter. After the new lifter, coming off the highway and sitting at idle again, the "Oil pressure monitoring defective" warning returned.

My mechanic is a long time Porsche tech and he reached out to others in the community. I don't like the parts cannon approach but he found the right info and performed right test to isolate it to the valve. $1,600. About half of that labor. I wasted a lot of time and money chasing this one down. I considered a Toyota at my lowest point but it's back to running strong now.

Last edited by Hula; 11-11-2023 at 02:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BLU997 (11-12-2023)

Quick Reply: 997.2 Carrera misfire = complete lifter and camshaft replacement??