Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has come from 993 (or other air-cooled)?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 06:37 PM
Boosted330
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Who has come from 993 (or other air-cooled)?

Hey guys,

I'm currently selling my 993 for an investment.

shameless plug: https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...ar-silver.html

But the real reason for the post is, after the investment is through, it's my plan to use my initial to get back into a Porsche.

I want a 997 and have considered the 981 Boxster S, because I want a driver's car experience that only certain cars can give.

I test drove a 997.2 C2S and found it to be (driving wise) much similar to my 993 just scaled up and more refined/modern amenity wise.

The Boxster S felt like a completely different car, and I just think it to be too impractical without the back seat. Great fun though.

One of the reasons to let go of the 993 is I just don't use it enough. I want a car I can use.

If you've moved from 993 or air-cooled into 997, I'd love to hear your thoughts, observances, expectations vs. reality, conclusions, pros, cons, or anything of the sort.

I've heard people having regrets and I probably will too, but sometimes life just hands opportunities that are so good you need to part with something as good as a 993 to see it through.

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 02-06-2017, 09:03 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Everything about the 997 is just a little better other than maybe the simple beauty of the 993, the enjoyment for my ears from inside the air-cooled car and the enjoyment of my wallet on the appreciation you're getting - I bought my '96 C4S ten years ago for $36K, sold it five years ago for $44K and heard that it sold one year ago for $90K

Last edited by the_buch; 02-06-2017 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:04 PM
Surfer2001
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boosted330
Hey guys,

I'm currently selling my 993 for an investment.

shameless plug: https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...ar-silver.html

But the real reason for the post is, after the investment is through, it's my plan to use my initial to get back into a Porsche.

I want a 997 and have considered the 981 Boxster S, because I want a driver's car experience that only certain cars can give.

I test drove a 997.2 C2S and found it to be (driving wise) much similar to my 993 just scaled up and more refined/modern amenity wise.

The Boxster S felt like a completely different car, and I just think it to be too impractical without the back seat. Great fun though.

One of the reasons to let go of the 993 is I just don't use it enough. I want a car I can use.

If you've moved from 993 or air-cooled into 997, I'd love to hear your thoughts, observances, expectations vs. reality, conclusions, pros, cons, or anything of the sort.

I've heard people having regrets and I probably will too, but sometimes life just hands opportunities that are so good you need to part with something as good as a 993 to see it through.

Thanks in advance guys!
Had my 1995 993 Coup for 8 years, yes I regret selling it. but my regret revolves around the fact that my old, slow 993 has gone up 20K since I sold her. I have a 997.2 Cab, with another 997.2 Coup coming soon. IMO, the 997.2 are so refined and well built you can't go wrong. I was a stick guy forever, but I'm so sold on the PDK, I won't even look at manual anymore. I loved my 993, but I think I love my 997 much more.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...arrera-c2.html

Last edited by Surfer2001; 02-07-2017 at 01:51 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:30 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Why can't you use the 993 the same way you'll use the 997?

I understand... I have a 993 and have thought the same thing. I've driven 997s and while they are very nice I like the way the 993 drives even better. Couple things bug me - their value has gone up more so you worry a bit about it getting in an accident or getting stolen. And, if something did happen to it it'll be harder to replace.

I also realize that if I do sell the 993 I probably not ever own another one and watch as their values go up and up. When the time comes though I'll probably get a 997.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:24 PM
Boosted330
Instructor

Interesting replies, thank you for the feedback - not what I expected.

My car has appreciated for sure since I got it but I didn't buy it as an investment, I bought it as a driving enthusiast.

With the air-cooled cars they can take a while to warm up on a cold day - gotta make sure the seals properly warm up then cool back down, if there's salt on the road I won't drive it, etc.

When I rebuilt the motor I told myself I was going to drive it as much as possible and still ended up only using it for less than 7000 miles in the past 3.5 years.

If I'm by myself, I don't mind as much but my fiancé or whoever else, it's easier to just take my other car.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:35 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I have had air cooled cars and will likely have them again but the 997 is a better car on every level when comparing the two... period. (accept the collector aspect and price surge or air cooled cars)
Old 02-07-2017, 02:16 PM
Hilltopper
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
I have had air cooled cars and will likely have them again but the 997 is a better car on every level when comparing the two... period. (accept the collector aspect and price surge or air cooled cars)
As I have posted previously, I will never sell my 993 and may consider selling my 997.1 a long time from now!
Old 02-07-2017, 02:33 PM
wportervt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Came from a 1989 3.2 Carrera Cab which I sold about a year and a half ago and am now enjoying a 2006 Carrera 4S Cab. Very different cars and I have enjoyed each for their own reasons!

Old 02-07-2017, 02:34 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,673 Posts

I bought a 964 cab about ten years ago, then found a 997.1 coupe but didn't sell the 964 because the market was in the toilet and wasn't going to take a hit on the loss, as well as the maintenance I had just put into it to get it right.

997.1 is my daily driver and the 964 is my fun car - I think that about sums up the difference between the two. More refined, more power, more handling, more room VS more visceral, more fun, nostalgia, less plastic.

There are many threads that elaborate quite a bit.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...r-a-997-a.html
Old 02-07-2017, 03:11 PM
esc911
Rennlist Member

Before my 997, I had a 993 rs spec and an '85 911 (which I still have). While there are times that I miss the 993, most of the time the 997 just does everything better. I really miss the size of the 993 and the usability on the street. You could push the car harder on the street and still be within safe limits, not so much for the 997. I think it's a good swap if you're actually looking to drive the 997. With current values for the 993 it's sometimes difficult to put real miles on the car.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:47 PM
Kurzheck
Instructor

I have never owned a 993, but have driven nearly a dozen of them. Coupes, cabs, Targas, C4S. A friend presently has a C2S. I love the feel of them and they are great fun. A 993 is what I originally targeted.

But when I'm honest with myself, and after I drove a 997, the 997 is superior in every way. Hell, the 996 is a better performance vehicle than the 993, but because of the polarizing looks, it was/is dismissed when compared to the 993, which is arguably the best looking 911 of them all.

I would stress about the replacement cost if I drove one around. I'm talking with a friend about acquiring his '95 Cab that has a salvage title, which I would be much more at ease driving.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:31 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I've had some great air-cooled cars; 964, Euro SC, 993 C4S with a 3.8, Euro 3.2...just sold the 3.2 a few weeks ago. This 997 GTS in my garage is incredible and I don't miss the 3.2 at all. It's funny how the simplest of creature comforts plus it being a 911 adds up to a killer package. Almost twice the hp, a great sound, awesome performance and driving experience, comfort for long trips, heat that comes out the vents you want it to, not smelling like a chainsaw when you're done driving it, no concern about rust, a louder exhaust at the touch of a button...and I haven't even used the AC yet...the list goes on.

Also, the value of the air-cooled cars kept me from driving them more often. One reportable accident and they take a huge hit. The 997s are still depreciating so it's less of a concern. As far as the responses you're getting here, well, this is the 997 forum. If you were to pose this question to the 993 forum the responses would be less enthusiastic about a switch to a 997. There's nothing wrong with any AC car it just depends on what kind of overall experience you're looking for. I feel I had my fill of those cars and it was time to experience something different before we're all forced to drive electrics.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:47 PM
mikemessi
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Went from a 912 and 911SC to a 2011 997.2 base carrera manual (no pasm no pdk ) and put Bilstein PSS9 coilovers on with gt3 sway bars and aftermarket exhaust. Having a 6sp manual with analog suspension maintains a definite rawness/purity to the driving experience with the benefits of modern horsepower and reliability of electronic engine management. The experience is night and day. There is no way I would ever go back.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:55 AM
Boosted330
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chris M.
I've had some great air-cooled cars; 964, Euro SC, 993 C4S with a 3.8, Euro 3.2...just sold the 3.2 a few weeks ago. This 997 GTS in my garage is incredible and I don't miss the 3.2 at all. It's funny how the simplest of creature comforts plus it being a 911 adds up to a killer package. Almost twice the hp, a great sound, awesome performance and driving experience, comfort for long trips, heat that comes out the vents you want it to, not smelling like a chainsaw when you're done driving it, no concern about rust, a louder exhaust at the touch of a button...and I haven't even used the AC yet...the list goes on.

Also, the value of the air-cooled cars kept me from driving them more often. One reportable accident and they take a huge hit. The 997s are still depreciating so it's less of a concern. As far as the responses you're getting here, well, this is the 997 forum. If you were to pose this question to the 993 forum the responses would be less enthusiastic about a switch to a 997. There's nothing wrong with any AC car it just depends on what kind of overall experience you're looking for. I feel I had my fill of those cars and it was time to experience something different before we're all forced to drive electrics.

It's funny because this is the response I was hoping for.

I know in a 993 forum I would get different answers, but I want the feedback from people who are going the specific route I am for similar reasons, because of my specific concerns I have about the switch.

10 years ago if I had $130k laying around, I may have bought a 997. Instead I bought my 993 at rock bottom, and now the 993 and 997 are similar in values. However I've grown to appreciate the air-cooled quirks.

Went from a 912 and 911SC to a 2011 997.2 base carrera manual (no pasm no pdk ) and put Bilstein PSS9 coilovers on with gt3 sway bars and aftermarket exhaust. Having a 6sp manual with analog suspension maintains a definite rawness/purity to the driving experience with the benefits of modern horsepower and reliability of electronic engine management. The experience is night and day. There is no way I would ever go back.
This also is a response that makes me more sure of the decision. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:15 PM
993::hb
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No regrets

Had a 993 4s, but it's slow compare to 997. Not just slow...it sucks. I realize is the aircooled blablabla, but driving feeling vs my 997 GTS or even my 997 4s is not even close.

The newer 991 models are not very much my style, the only reason I regret selling my 993 is that I could have sold it for more.

I still checkout 993s, love the look but I think they're overvalued for what you get now.

Quick Reply: Who has come from 993 (or other air-cooled)?