Do I need a 3rd radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 04:31 PM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 391 Likes on 163 Posts

.. we are getting our 3rd radiator kits in early next week, on the 997.1 they are price very reasonably (~$225). On the 986 and 996 they are about twice as much!

As track rats, we like to get as much cooling as possible. I agree as Iceter mentioned that your thermostat doesn't open until temps get higher hence adding a 3rd radiator shouldn't slow down the warming up process.

rennpart.com | Phone: 336-793-2134 |Email: ace@rennpart.com

Instagram | Facebook
Old 01-26-2017, 05:45 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I think the point of a lower temperature thermostat is to help lower oil temps since the oil heat exchange is in the coolant. Not so much to lower coolant temps.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:53 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts

Why did Porsche start offering a 3rd radiator on the 997.1? On the 997.2, they went back to no 3rd radiator because cooling was improved, then they added the option again.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:52 PM
beetleything
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

JAMES -
A cooler thermostat doesn't affect the high end of a car's normal operating temperature because that upper limit is dictated by the car's cooling system as a whole. A cooler thermostat will extend warm up time, which allows the car to run at a suboptimal temperature longer than it should. It also allows this to happen when the outside temperature is low and the cooler thermostat is not restricting flow as early as the stock unit would have. This is rarely a good thing.

A LTT opens the flow earlier - so will not extend the warm time - quite the opposite.

I have no idea how sensitive these engines are to engine and coolant temperature changes, but I do know that there are lots of cars that are extremely sensitive to coolant temperature being outside of a narrowly prescribed range. I would think that a DI engine would be particularly sensitive to this. I wouldn't go with a lower temperature thermostat unless I had both a ton of evidence showing that it wouldn't negatively affect my engine and a real need for that thermostat.

OP has 2005 car NOT DFI ( which already have LTT in them)....

Also Porsche did this for Emissions which had become stricter.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:19 PM
beetleything
Racer

Not to harp on - but i just saw this linked from another article posted - it's from pelican Parts Tech article

The factory thermostat starts to open at about 187 degrees F (86 degrees C) and only fully opens at almost 210 degrees F (99 degrees C). This means that the engine needs to get very hot before it starts sending its coolant to the front radiators. For this reason, I recommend installing a low-temperature thermostat in place of the factory one. LN Engineering has developed a thermostat that starts opening at 160 degrees F (71 degrees C) and is fully open at about 180 degrees F (82 degrees C). Lower coolant temperatures translate into lower oil temperatures, and the dyno tests that LN Engineering has performed on the cars with the low-temp thermostat installed have revealed a small increase in horsepower (typically about 5 horsepower). It is my guess that Porsche designed the thermostat to open a bit later in order to help the cars run a bit hotter, which typically helps with emissions testing and the burning off of water out of the oil, which can then lead to longer oil change intervals. Installing the low-temp thermostat is a smart idea for engine longevity--it's available for about $175 from PelicanParts.com.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm
Old 01-27-2017, 08:54 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
Why did Porsche start offering a 3rd radiator on the 997.1? On the 997.2, they went back to no 3rd radiator because cooling was improved, then they added the option again.
It was never an option. Some configurations had a 3rd radiator. IIRC, cars with tiptronic trans or X51 performance package...but not always.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:46 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,724 Likes on 4,277 Posts

Originally Posted by beetleything
Not to harp on - but i just saw this linked from another article posted - it's from pelican Parts Tech article

The factory thermostat starts to open at about 187 degrees F (86 degrees C) and only fully opens at almost 210 degrees F (99 degrees C). This means that the engine needs to get very hot before it starts sending its coolant to the front radiators. For this reason, I recommend installing a low-temperature thermostat in place of the factory one. LN Engineering has developed a thermostat that starts opening at 160 degrees F (71 degrees C) and is fully open at about 180 degrees F (82 degrees C). Lower coolant temperatures translate into lower oil temperatures, and the dyno tests that LN Engineering has performed on the cars with the low-temp thermostat installed have revealed a small increase in horsepower (typically about 5 horsepower). It is my guess that Porsche designed the thermostat to open a bit later in order to help the cars run a bit hotter, which typically helps with emissions testing and the burning off of water out of the oil, which can then lead to longer oil change intervals. Installing the low-temp thermostat is a smart idea for engine longevity--it's available for about $175 from PelicanParts.com.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm
+1 on this. It's also recommended by Raby / FSI and installed in all their new motors.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:02 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 01-28-2017, 03:09 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by beetleything
JAMES -

A LTT opens the flow earlier - so will not extend the warm time - quite the opposite.
That doesn't make sense. Opening the Tstat earlier allows the coolant in the engine to reach the radiators earlier and allows the cold fluid in the rest of the system to reach the engine sooner.

Saying this warms the engine quicker defies logic.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:50 PM
ocgarza
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

Deep in South Texas where I live, common temps in the summer are 90-99 degrees. My C4S (997.2) with the standard 2 radiator set up, has no problem with climbing temps while idling, since the oil and water temps are already high. I have tracked that car in San Marcos Texas but it was a mild day for Texas - mid to high 80s. Tracking the car had no effect on the temps at all.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:16 PM
beetleything
Racer

Last edited by beetleything; 01-30-2017 at 01:59 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 01-28-2017, 06:06 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
It was never an option. Some configurations had a 3rd radiator. IIRC, cars with tiptronic trans or X51 performance package...but not always.
The third radiator was developed for pdk cars to remove the extra heat generated by the trans. Not needed for street use on non-pdk cars.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:52 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
The third radiator was developed for pdk cars to remove the extra heat generated by the trans. Not needed for street use on non-pdk cars.
Actually 3rd radiator appears well before intro of PDK - 997.1 GT3 had it.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:05 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RennPart
.. we are getting our 3rd radiator kits in early next week, on the 997.1 they are price very reasonably (~$225). On the 986 and 996 they are about twice as much!

As track rats, we like to get as much cooling as possible. I agree as Iceter mentioned that your thermostat doesn't open until temps get higher hence adding a 3rd radiator shouldn't slow down the warming up process.
3rd radiator is a must for any 997 car. Low temp thermostat is more harmful than useful as it offsets proper operational temperature of a block. Other must do mod is a 996 x51 oil pan to prevent oil starvation - google it up, there are no more such original pans left but there are substitutes with same rubber baffles that fit snugly inside of the block.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:28 PM
beetleything
Racer

Originally Posted by utkinpol
3rd radiator is a must for any 997 car. Low temp thermostat is more harmful than useful as it offsets proper operational temperature of a block. Other must do mod is a 996 x51 oil pan to prevent oil starvation - google it up, there are no more such original pans left but there are substitutes with same rubber baffles that fit snugly inside of the block.
You couldn't be more wrong.

LTT only opens earlier - it does not stop the car getting to proper operational temperature - think about at.

It starts the water circulating earlier - that is all.

Quick Reply: Do I need a 3rd radiator?