997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake rotor rust

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017 | 08:18 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Honestly did. Couple things on rv forums but not too much.

I feel fairly confident in my search strings but do tend to get lazy with a good community to bounce things off of.

Essentially 10 min search.. if I feel I need to validate or get clarification, new thread.

You guys must be horrible to work with. That process is posted on SharePoint somewhere, why are you asking me. Who cares, link me to that if you don't feel like explaining it. But just saying I can't believe you didn't search provides zero value.
Old 01-04-2017 | 10:15 PM
vern1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Lvt19672
Does anyone bother using the search function anymore?
No

20 sec search =

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...y-porsche.html

And I think that went 11 pages or something
Old 01-05-2017 | 07:27 AM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Yep, and all 11 pages are about washing and rust. None about long term storage which are completely different. Surface rust isn't a problem if it doesn't build up for months and months at a time.

In this thread a couple of other good contributions.

1. Not really something to worry about. Yes, could have probably picked that up in some of the other search posts but wanted to know long term storage.

2. We shouldnt be using outdoor storage covers for indoor use. Causing more moisture build up which may be part of my problem.

3. There is a good product out there called hydes rust prevent that can slow the process down.

4. PCCB brakes are the way to go if you have the option. They are aluminum and will not rust at all.

Seems like a good thread to me.
Old 01-05-2017 | 07:37 AM
LexVan
Banned

Platinum:

Add this one to your list:

5. Armor All Outlast spray. I use this during the driving season, and during my 5 month winter hibernation. My rotors (since mid October) show little rust. You can buy at Walmart. I use this in combo with the Master Blaster.
Old 01-05-2017 | 07:40 AM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Nice.. thanks!

more value to the thread.. love it
Old 01-05-2017 | 07:42 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by platinum997
Nice.. thanks!

more value to the thread.. love it
It is this old product Armor All Wheel Protectant, now called "Outlast". FYI.
Attached Images  
Old 01-05-2017 | 12:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Good info guys..

I will try some hydes rust stopper. Only an issue for the winter months. Sounds like it's not a big deal and will come off on next drive anyway.
Hope that stuff doesn't hard the brake piston dust boots.

Yes, the rust will come off next time you drive the car and of course use the brakes.

But just a word of caution based on my experience (with another car). Be sure you use the brakes to slow the car a few times to remove the rust. Avoid bringing the car to a complete stop -- unless of course you have to due to an emergency situation -- until after you have slowed the car with the brakes enough to have removed the rust.

I learned the hard way. Washed my VW Golf TDi. Didn't drive it afterwards. The next day when I took the car out I didn't use the brakes until a few miles down the road I had to make an emergency stop to avoid colliding with a car that pulled out in front of mine. My VW stopped ok even with the rust. But afterwards the brakes pulsed a bit when lightly applying the brakes.

Tried (re)bedding in the brakes and it didn't help. The only solution was to either turn the rotors or replace them.

Fortunately for me the pulsing only was present during light braking. I slightly modified my driving style/technique to avoid light braking to avoid the pulsing. Then I drove the car to over 140K miles -- still on the orignal brakes -- and sold the car. During a test drive the soon to be new owner -- a woman -- complained about the brakes. She was a light braker.

Since then after I wash any of my cars I drive the car and use the brakes to get them hot and dry them out. The rear brakes have the parking brake hardware and the brakes need to get warm and stay warm a while to dry this hardware.

If my cars sit a while -- more than a day or so -- or sit out in the rain any length of time right after I get on the road I make sure I use the brakes a few times to remove any rust that has developed.

So far with both of my Porsches (and other cars other than the VW Golf) the brakes have remained pulse free and a side benefit of avoiding whenever possible "light braking" the brakes last a long time. Turbo front brakes lasted 120K miles. Rear brakes are still good at over 150K miles. I can't recall when I last changed the Boxster's brakes, but it was before I moved to where I live now and I've been here 5 years. The Boxster averages around 20K miles per year so that was (approx.) 100K miles ago.
Old 01-05-2017 | 02:55 PM
vern1
Race Car

Yep, and all 11 pages are about washing and rust. None about long term storage which are completely different. Surface rust isn't a problem if it doesn't build up for months and months at a time.

In this thread a couple of other good contributions.

1. Not really something to worry about. Yes, could have probably picked that up in some of the other search posts but wanted to know long term storage.

2. We shouldnt be using outdoor storage covers for indoor use. Causing more moisture build up which may be part of my problem.

3. There is a good product out there called hydes rust prevent that can slow the process down.

4. PCCB brakes are the way to go if you have the option. They are aluminum and will not rust at all.

Seems like a good thread to me.
If you say so....

But I will go back to your 1st post for my answer, stop worrying about this BS and drive the car. Problem, if you can call it that, solved!!
Old 01-05-2017 | 03:00 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Food for thought here.......when I bought my 9971S as a roller, it sat for over a year before the motor was ready. When I got the car the rotors were all rusted up and I thought I would have to replace all 4.....but to my surprise I drove the car and with in 7 days all signs of rust on the rotor face was gone. Now 1 1/2 years later I still have the same rotors.

This thread is silly.
Old 01-05-2017 | 05:14 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Originally Posted by wc11
While I don't stress it, what I don't understand is why they rust in the 1st place (dumb question I know) as my and I'm sure pretty much everybody elses daily driver doesn't rust.
What's so different about their discs?
There isn't anything different about Porsche rotors. They rust because they are made of metal and have no coating on them to keep them from rusting. Any piece of uncoated cast iron will rust if left out in the open. Oxidation starts immediately, in fact. If you wash your wheels with your left hand and spray a coating on them with your right hand, the surface of the rotor will have started oxidizing before you sprayed your first dollop of coating. Nature is a bitch.

Daily driven cars don't show this rust because...well, because they are driven daily. Every time you drive, you use the brakes. Using the brakes rubs the rust off of the surface of the rotor. Because it takes a couple of days for the surface of the rotor to rust enough for you to see the oxidized surface, brake rotors that are used every day don't have a chance to rust that much. The brake pads literally sand the rust away.

Unless your car sits outside beside a waterfall or at the beach, your rotors will not rust enough for the surface coating of oxidation to have any impact on your braking. By the time you're out of your driveway the first time you take the car out in the Spring, you've probably rubbed away all of the rust that formed over the last few months.
The following users liked this post:
predikt (01-24-2023)
Old 01-05-2017 | 08:03 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vern1
If you say so....

But I will go back to your 1st post for my answer, stop worrying about this BS and drive the car. Problem, if you can call it that, solved!!
Fair..
Old 01-05-2017 | 08:17 PM
extanker
Banned

kalecoauto.com should have ALL the products you need
Old 01-06-2017 | 09:08 PM
orange260z
Instructor

Originally Posted by Iceter
There isn't anything different about Porsche rotors. They rust because they are made of metal and have no coating on them to keep them from rusting. Any piece of uncoated cast iron will rust if left out in the open. Oxidation starts immediately, in fact. If you wash your wheels with your left hand and spray a coating on them with your right hand, the surface of the rotor will have started oxidizing before you sprayed your first dollop of coating. Nature is a bitch.

Daily driven cars don't show this rust because...well, because they are driven daily. Every time you drive, you use the brakes. Using the brakes rubs the rust off of the surface of the rotor. Because it takes a couple of days for the surface of the rotor to rust enough for you to see the oxidized surface, brake rotors that are used every day don't have a chance to rust that much. The brake pads literally sand the rust away.
Iceter: Some rotors rust much more than others, though. With a couple of Hyundais that I had, if they sat for a couple of days without use there was a lot of rust on the rotors. My E90 BMW would sit under the same conditions and have none. The 997 gets a coating of rust immediately after washing the car. My CTS does not, and neither did the BMW. I'm not an engineer, so I can't say why (I guess it must be in the metallurgy?), but this is what I've noticed.

And I agree that the light coat is easily removed by taking the car for a drive, but with the 911 it puts quite a coating of reddish dust on the wheels that you have to take extra time to clean off - so it is annoying that this car does it when other cars I've had don't.

To the OP: in my experience with long-term storage of cars, I've found that putting an impermeable barrier (I like heavy-duty vapour barrier because it's cheap) between the concrete garage floor and the car makes a significant difference to rust on the rotors and underbody bolt heads, etc. Despite having a daily driven car (meaning lots of salt, snow, and water) in the adjacent spot in a small two car garage, there is typically little or no rust on my summer car rotors in the spring after 5-6 months of storage.
The following users liked this post:
predikt (01-24-2023)

Quick Reply: Brake rotor rust