Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 3.6l AOS (Air Oil / Oil Mist Separator) DIY

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 10:43 AM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

Thank you both for your advice and insight.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:31 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 245 Posts

EMC2, thanks for the awesome write-up.

Macster, thanks for the detailed symptom description.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:32 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 435 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by BHMav8r
My knuckles, patience and wallet greatly appreciate this. Thank you for posting!
Originally Posted by MaddMike
Very nice! Thanks.
Originally Posted by mreloc
Wonderful DIY guide. Thank you!
Originally Posted by nulee
Just want to say thank you.......
Awesome instruction and great illustrated pictures!!!

you inspired me to do the same and give back the this communties...

Originally Posted by orange260z
Great write up! Takes a lot of the mystery (and trepidation) out of this project.

Originally Posted by Iceter
EMC2, thanks for the awesome write-up.

Macster, thanks for the detailed symptom description.
Originally Posted by Astur
Thank you both for your advice and insight.
You're very welcome guys. I've benefitted a lot from many great DIY's on this forum, so it's nice to be able to contribute also.

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
did you notice any idle change, or cold start differences?
I "think" there was a change in both (seemed a little smoother) but I am always hyper aware of the potential for placebo effect. So for me it is more about having a revised part which hopefully means improvements were made from the original, and one which should last for many years.

Regarding the part revision; I still suspect the new part may be designed to operate at higher vacuum, but this is yet to be proven (see thread here - https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-resource.html
)
Originally Posted by Astur
I have a 2009 C2, PDK, Sports Chrono with 20K miles that I bought 2 years ago with ~14K miles.

I've read all the horror stories about AOS failures (specially 997.1's) and seek your advice as to the wisdom/need/propensity/peace-of-mind that my changing it would bring.
I think Master provided some great insight in his post. I also think the membrane like any similar part will lose it's properties (particularly flexibility) over time and not just based on miles. If you don't mind a bit of DIY, this is a great project for a rainy afternoon or evening, and a very cheap update.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:41 PM
tdporsche911
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know where to pick up an AOS(air oil separator) for 997.2 (2009 Carrera2) besides the dealer?
Old 01-20-2020, 10:33 AM
jbaker136
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

@EMC2 thanks for the great write up. I just did this yesterday. Other then the oil weeping at the driver side plenum rubber seal causing the metal to fuse to the rubber, everything came apart without much effort or trouble. Going back together was a pain in the ***. Those half moon clamps are a bear to get on and get seated. An hour or so of mangling my arms through tight places with sharp edges and they were back on and fully seated. The service manual says to lower the engine 15mm for better access and I think if I did this again I would do just that. For anyone else looking to do this I have pasted the torque specs for the fasteners below. Thanks

Jeff

Throttle body housing to resonance tube (aka plenum): 10 Nm (7.5 ftlb.)
Oil separator 1(AOS) to bracket for oil/water heat exchanger: 13 Nm (9.5 ftlb.)
Clamp for resonance tube (service manual say sto always replace but I re-used): 4.5 Nm (3.5 ftlb.)
Engine carrier to engine mounting (if you lowered the engine by loosening these two bolts): 85 Nm (63 ftlb.)
Cable duct to intake-air distributor (behind the plenum as shown in EMC2's pictures above): 13 Nm (9.5 ftlb.)
Old 01-20-2020, 09:00 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 435 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by jbaker136
@EMC2 thanks for the great write up. I just did this yesterday. Other then the oil weeping at the driver side plenum rubber seal causing the metal to fuse to the rubber, everything came apart without much effort or trouble. Going back together was a pain in the ***. Those half moon clamps are a bear to get on and get seated. An hour or so of mangling my arms through tight places with sharp edges and they were back on and fully seated. The service manual says to lower the engine 15mm for better access and I think if I did this again I would do just that. For anyone else looking to do this I have pasted the torque specs for the fasteners below. Thanks

Jeff

Throttle body housing to resonance tube (aka plenum): 10 Nm (7.5 ftlb.)
Oil separator 1(AOS) to bracket for oil/water heat exchanger: 13 Nm (9.5 ftlb.)
Clamp for resonance tube (service manual say sto always replace but I re-used): 4.5 Nm (3.5 ftlb.)
Engine carrier to engine mounting (if you lowered the engine by loosening these two bolts): 85 Nm (63 ftlb.)
Cable duct to intake-air distributor (behind the plenum as shown in EMC2's pictures above): 13 Nm (9.5 ftlb.)
@jbaker136 - glad to hear it helped, and thank you very much for contributing the torque specs ?

Did you happen to measure the oil filler neck vacuum before and/or after?
Old 06-01-2022, 05:29 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 579 Likes on 303 Posts

Necro bump on this thread to see if anyone who, like Emc2, couldn't get the left AOS connector 100% seated ever had any issues stemming from it? I just preemptively swapped my AOS two days ago and could also not get the left connector 100% seated. My guess is the AOS was originally installed at the factory while the engine was out of the car as I'm not sure how one could get enough leverage to push it down all the way otherwise. I wasn't about to use a pry bar for fear of damaging the AOS or prying against the roof of my trunk.

The plenum half moon clamps were a pain, like others mentioned, and my vent tube cracked. Other than that, not horrible. I did lower the engine a bit as others mentioned to get some extra room. It's super easy to do, especially if you've ever changed your motor mounts before, and I'm not really sure how you could swap the AOS or remove the plenum without doing so.

Thx
Old 06-01-2022, 11:18 PM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

How long did it take to remove the engine to get to the OAS?
Old 06-02-2022, 08:45 AM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Assuming you meant plenum, it isn’t too bad to remove everything. Putting it all back together was the annoying and time consuming part.
Old 06-03-2022, 07:29 AM
nicogri
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 43 Posts

Did exactly the same and had the same impressions...

Removal is quite easy, re-seating of more complex and I am not even sure if it is 100% good on my case... hoping.

What i did I scew the AOS until screws just touch the AOS then wiggle it by hand while pushing it in place, tight screws a bit, wiggle and push, tight screws.... until I kind of felt it was in place.

For the rubber of manifold and half moons it was more than an hour of pain in the but trying to get everyting into place but think I did...
Old 06-03-2022, 09:17 AM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nicogri
Did exactly the same and had the same impressions...

Removal is quite easy, re-seating of more complex and I am not even sure if it is 100% good on my case... hoping.

What i did I scew the AOS until screws just touch the AOS then wiggle it by hand while pushing it in place, tight screws a bit, wiggle and push, tight screws.... until I kind of felt it was in place.

For the rubber of manifold and half moons it was more than an hour of pain in the but trying to get everyting into place but think I did...
Have you put any miles on the car since you swapped in the new AOS? If so, any issues?

To those attempting this, along with everything else mentioned here, definitely pick up a mechanic's mirror if you don't already have one. You will need it to ensure the half moon clamps are properly seated. Also helps with the AOS, though that one is a bit easier to tell when it's seated.

Quick Reply: 997.2 3.6l AOS (Air Oil / Oil Mist Separator) DIY