Sponsored by:

DIY Repair Broken Underbody Cover/Splash Guard Studs

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 01:17 AM
TheTorch
Burning Brakes

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts
Default DIY Repair Broken Underbody Cover/Splash Guard Studs

This is a very small but satisfying DIY to repair broken or missing underbody plastic splash guard studs. My car had one missing when I bought it, and I managed to break an additional one off. So 2 were missing from the center underbody cover. The studs are spot welded into the underbody, and once you break one off, you are left with a jagged hole. I found a suggestion on the 964 forum to use riv-nuts or rivet nuts, but I couldn't find anyone showing how they did it.

So that's what I did. I drilled out the hole, used an aluminum rivet nut and rivet nut tool to install an M5 rivet nut. I bought some M5x20mm nylon bolts and screwed them into spare plastic "hat" nuts I bought at Pelican Parts (50 cents each).

Parts / Tools:Diagram of the plastic underbody covers/trays. Part #4 is the plastic nuts that attach to the body studs:

Here is the problem. The studs or captive bolts that the nuts connect to tend to break off:

Once broken off, there is a jagged hole. I drilled the hole out with a bit slightly larger than than the M5 rivet nuts, and ground the area smooth with a dremel stone. If you find you remove the underbody coating, per 93Jaffe, it's a good idea to seal or paint the underbody which is steel to prevent reaction between the steel and the aluminum rivet. Definitely want to make sure using a flashlight and a probe of some kind that you have enough room to drill through and above the pan. Would be bad to drill into something above. My 2 holes had nothing above them.

Here is an aluminum M5 rivet nut before it is compressed:

Next I used a rivet nut tool to put the rivet in, and compress it. You can do this without the tool with an M5 bolt and nut, but the tool is like 20 bucks.

Here is the nut seated:

At this point, you could just use a 10mm long nylon M5 and a nylon washer to attach the splash guard at this spot. I used M5x20mm nylon bolts, drilled a tight fitting hole in the plastic nut (999-049-007-40), and threaded it through the "hat" nut to act as a washer. You need about 1/2 inch protruding from the bottom of the nut:

Finished product:

Last edited by TheTorch; 02-05-2020 at 02:43 PM. Reason: changed the recommended screw/nut work, add note about corrosion
The following 2 users liked this post by TheTorch:
maschinetheist (07-06-2024), Mrhobbiest (05-28-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 06:47 AM
campbesl
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Great solution!
Great write up!
Thank you.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:59 AM
93Jaffe
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Great solution. Are the 997 chassis's aluminum? If not it would probably be wise to spray some sealant on the opening before riveting in the nut.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:19 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 722 Likes on 451 Posts

Great solution but you know that missing 1 lousy plastic nut is not going to make the panel fall off, right?
Old 02-05-2020, 02:10 PM
TheTorch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by yelcab
Great solution but you know that missing 1 lousy plastic nut is not going to make the panel fall off, right?
Yup, some OCD on my part. But missing 2 or more and you can get sagging.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:33 PM
TheTorch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 93Jaffe
Great solution. Are the 997 chassis's aluminum? If not it would probably be wise to spray some sealant on the opening before riveting in the nut.
Good idea. As I understand it, it is steel...but not a big deal since the aluminum rivet will preferentially rust, it requires water (hardly rains here in NorCal, we have no salt on roads). I'll update the post.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:40 PM
93Jaffe
Racer

Lucky you! I have 2 cars that I can poke my finger through so its top-of-mind for me up here in Cleveland.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:07 PM
TheTorch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 93Jaffe
Lucky you! I have 2 cars that I can poke my finger through so its top-of-mind for me up here in Cleveland.
You know I am going to redo these as soon as I get a chance because now I have to do it correctly. Damn you ! :^)
Old 02-05-2020, 03:09 PM
93Jaffe
Racer

More time in the garage is a win in my eyes. I'm sure the way you have it won't cause you issue.
Old 06-02-2022, 05:04 PM
2fast2nick
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts

This is awesome, I was just under my car and noticed one was broken off
Old 06-02-2022, 05:53 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,237 Likes on 795 Posts

A friend had the same problem. He got some studs with flat ends (McMaster Carr I believe) and JB Welded them to the car. That solution has been working fine but the different thread pitch requires you pay attention in choosing the right nuts as you put things back together.
Old 06-02-2022, 05:55 PM
2fast2nick
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
A friend had the same problem. He got some studs with flat ends (McMaster Carr I believe) and JB Welded them to the car. That solution has been working fine but the different thread pitch requires you pay attention in choosing the right nuts as you put things back together.
that's a pretty good idea too. Argh, I wonder if the right pitch exists anywhere. I'd really love to make it back to like OEM if possible
Old 06-03-2022, 11:24 AM
Bodydoc
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Hello

Yes Wayne Smith and i tackled this problem. I actually stripped out the stud while replacing a panel and this is easy to do. No the threads are not standard at all either metric or standard. The pitch is not standard either. These seem designed to have a wide pitch to "tap" the nylon nut for secure fit. I chose rather than to drill [into the unknown] to research my favorite DIY resource (McMaster Carr) for an adhesive stainless steel stud with a wide perforated base (97590A814) as this allows plenty JB Weld penetration for secure fit. We used a grinder to level the body panel. I matched the stud to a stainless steel nylon insert flanged locknut (94710A102). It is an easy task to glue in place with the panel holding it up as it dries. It is an easy task to match the now metric secure nut to stud. It is much more secure and able to tighten than original. I bought a bag of these and now Wayne stores them in his garage to distribute to others. Be careful what you become known for Wayne...

Jim in SF

The following 2 users liked this post by Bodydoc:
FlatHat (06-03-2022), maschinetheist (07-09-2024)

Quick Reply: DIY Repair Broken Underbody Cover/Splash Guard Studs