Sponsored by:

Wonky side mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 03:13 PM
Ehab Shoukry
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wonky side mirrors

I notice every few times I drive my car my side mirrors have changed and I have to readjust them. Sometimes they are way out of whack and other times it's subtle.

I thought it was just me sitting differently but yesterday when I reversed my passenger mirror finally tilted down for the first time. I followed the steps to set it a month ago and even set the mirror adjustment to the passenger side and it would never tilt. Yesterday it finally titled but today it's not working.

I'm sure there is a memory module in the car somewhere that has probably gone bad but I have no idea where or if this is a diy capable project. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ehab
Old 12-27-2016, 04:41 PM
hpapad01
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Check your battery in your key. Not sure if thats the answer but it is a good starting point.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:55 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

This could be a number of things... .

The first thing to check is the switch position on the A-pillar. The auto-tilt function only works if the mirror switch is turned to select a mirror. Turning the switch to the central position disables the auto-tilt. If it's not that simple, read on... .

You can set your keys to custom seat and mirror settings, and they can be set differently for each key. Are you using the same key every time you drive?

Also, if you have the mirrors set to tilt down when you reverse, the motors will sometimes not reset the mirrors to their original settings when you shift the car back into drive. Sometimes this is caused by a bad mirror motor, and sometimes it's an electrical glitch in the system that comes and goes. I have owned at least two other non-P cars where this function broke. The fix was always a new window motor.

I back into my garage every night. I noticed that the mirror would often not return to its original setting when I next drove the car. If I pressed the memory button on the door, they would return to their correct setting, so the motors were not at fault. It was not a serious enough issue that I wanted to pay Porsche to diagnose it. It happened sporadically but often enough that it was annoying so I finally just turned off the auto-down setting on the mirrors.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:53 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

My passenger side mirror also exhibits neurotic behavior. It will move left and right but the moment you move it down, it stops working altogether. It seems to recover after an indeterminate amount of time. I've searched for a solution but never found anything conclusive.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:17 PM
Ehab Shoukry
AutoX

I only use one key. I did make sure the mirror control was set to the passenger side but it doesn't tilt down on reverse except for that one time.

I do have the seats and mirrors programmed to key 1 which is the key I use. When I notice my mirrors are out of whack I press on the memory 1 button and they do not correct themselves. So it's almost like the memory module glitches and moves the mirrors on its own and then saves that new setting. I have an 06 C4 cab if that makes a difference.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:31 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

So, when the mirror faults and is in the wrong position, you can't move it back with the memory button but you CAN move it back with the control switch on the A-pillar?

When you notice that the mirror is out of position, is it after hitting a bump or pothole? I'm wondering if the motor is moving the mirror out of its prescribed position or if it's just slipping in its cradle?

If the motor/cradle assembly is not holding it in position, it may need to be replaced. Here is a helpful article from Pelican Parts detailing how you can replace it.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...cement.doc.htm
Old 12-28-2016, 04:39 PM
Ehab Shoukry
AutoX

Yes the mirror control does work to adjust the mirrors back. What prompted my curiosity was the fact that my mirror tilted down when I reversed for the first time in a month. I have the control set to the passenger side but it never tilted until the other day. I don't believe its bumps in the road that is causing them to move.

As as an example, I have pulled into the grocery store with everything in the right place then when I came out and got in my car I noticed the mirrors are messed up. It has to be when I clicked the key that they messed up but not sure why they are losing the memorized position and moving into another position.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:49 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,702 Likes on 4,259 Posts

It sounds to me like you have something incorrect with the setup between the key programming and the memory button programming. The reason the mirrors are in a different position when you come out of the store is because when you unlock the car using the key button, those mirror settings are stored / linked to that remote.

What I would do is using the manual, go through and set all 3 buttons on the door to the same seating, mirror, & radio button settings, then do the procedure to enable the reverse tilt mirror functionality, then link both keys to the correct buttons so now everything is set exactly the same.

Once that's done and verified that it's working correctly, if there's a 2nd driver of the car, go through and changeover the settings for that one key and the door button.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:35 PM
Ehab Shoukry
AutoX

Latest update is that I am having to adjust my mirrors every time I get in the car. The passenger mirror is lowering correctly when I reverse about 60% of the time; however, sometimes it returns to the correct position when I drive forward and other times it comes half way up and stops when I start driving.

I notice that sometimes I can hold the memory button and it will go to the right position again and other times the memory button does not return it to its correct position. I really think there is something wrong with the memory module. Would that be a good place to start to replace that?

Thanks,
Ehab
Old 01-09-2017, 06:53 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,702 Likes on 4,259 Posts

Originally Posted by Ehab Shoukry
Latest update is that I am having to adjust my mirrors every time I get in the car. The passenger mirror is lowering correctly when I reverse about 60% of the time; however, sometimes it returns to the correct position when I drive forward and other times it comes half way up and stops when I start driving.

I notice that sometimes I can hold the memory button and it will go to the right position again and other times the memory button does not return it to its correct position. I really think there is something wrong with the memory module. Would that be a good place to start to replace that?

Thanks,
Ehab
Probably, either that or just turn the mirror control **** back to the center so it stops tipping down when you select Reverse in the first place, which is probably what I would do.

Quick Reply: Wonky side mirrors