Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Octane Booster

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016 | 10:21 AM
RaidersR1
Racer

Default Octane Booster

With California only allowing 91 Octane here I have felt my ride a bit sluggish and I do hear a pinging. I only use Chevron in my car, hoping to stay with a top tier gas will allow better performance, but it's not the fix. Our cars need Octane so I was able to get an Octane Booster by Torco. I filled up my tank after putting 32 oz of the stuff in and boy, what a transformation I got from my car.

It almost seemed like I had an extra sport button the dash now. I felt a more responsive throttle and quicker acceleration. The 32oz can gave me around 12-14 octane boost, give or take a few. The results again are very satisfying and I will be getting a case of this and using it in every fill up. I will more than likely NOT use 32oz every tank fill, but i wanted to see what, if any, performance would be gained.

Since mine is not a DD, adding this per tank fill is reasonable and with the price of gas staying low, what the heck, can't hurt adding it. I've read about the product and there seems to be no short or long term affect on the engine, but I know the seat of the pants test passed!!

Some have recommended Lucas Oil, but the Torco came recommended from a friend that had personal experience and highly recommend it for my Pcar.

Anyone with feedback or experience, I would love to hear from you.
Old 12-23-2016 | 10:28 AM
LexVan
Banned

I'm calling BS. If your car is pinging with 91 octane, there's something wrong with your car.

Your car can't use the octane over 93 without a tune. So your new cocktail of 91 + 12 = 103 is meaningless and a complete waste of your money. Take that same money and fix your car.

Now, have you thought about what all that octane booster is doing to your fuel lines, spark plugs, and the blow-by contaminating your oil? Just to name a few.
Old 12-23-2016 | 10:56 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

12-14 octane boost! No freaking way! Your math is seriously flawed.

Last edited by MaddMike; 12-23-2016 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-23-2016 | 11:11 AM
scorcherjf
Racer

In the world of octane boosters, Torco is highly recommended indeed. However, according to their mixing chart, a 32oz mixed with a full tank (around 17 gallons in the 997 if I remember correctly) would give you an octane boost of around 4, not 14. http://torcoracefuel.net/2-docs/torc...lend-chart.jpg

I've run 100 octane race fuel in the car for a track day and didn't notice any difference over the normal 94 octane I run in it (wasn't by choice... there was only 91 octane available in the area so I bought some 100 to mix with 91 so it was probably around 96 octane in the end). I actually checked my telemetry and my acceleration and top speeds on the straights were identical to just 94 so yea... I don't think you'll notice anything after going beyond 93 octane as others have said. If you have pinging at 91 octane, I think you either need to check your engine or the fuel you're getting isn't actually 91 as advertised.
Old 12-23-2016 | 11:11 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

A gas station near me offers 100 octane racing fuel at over $7 a gallon. I put half a tank in my 996 once and couldn't tell the difference.
Old 12-23-2016 | 11:26 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Torco works, but as noted above, adding 32oz is not bringing your octane up 14 points. No chance.

If you look at your knock sensors, you'll see that they are likely active on 91. Hell my turbo has a few degrees of knock retard on 93. Such is life. Going up to about 95 or so is likely a nonissue.

fwiw, torco has MTBE in it and that can leave a reddish residue on your plugs. Use too much of it, and you'll be changing plugs far more quickly. I used it on my supercharged 700rwhp mustang cobra, and it worked great, but then changing plugs in that car took about 45 minutes with a cup of coffee in hand.
Old 12-23-2016 | 12:28 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Originally Posted by LexVan
I'm calling BS. If your car is pinging with 91 octane, there's something wrong with your car.

Your car can't use the octane over 93 without a tune. So your new cocktail of 91 + 12 = 103 is meaningless and a complete waste of your money. Take that same money and fix your car.

Now, have you thought about what all that octane booster is doing to your fuel lines, spark plugs, and the blow-by contaminating your oil? Just to name a few.
I have a tune already.

Ping stopped with the octane boost..I will say that. The ping happens at lower RPM's, runs great at higher RPM's. I'm going to speak to my Indy about it when I get a chance.
Old 12-23-2016 | 12:29 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Originally Posted by MaddMike
12-14 octane boost! No freaking way! Your math is seriously flawed.
Checked the "chart" again. It's 11 based on what I added and fuel in the tank. My bad on the math.
Old 12-23-2016 | 12:35 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Originally Posted by scorcherjf
In the world of octane boosters, Torco is highly recommended indeed. However, according to their mixing chart, a 32oz mixed with a full tank (around 17 gallons in the 997 if I remember correctly) would give you an octane boost of around 4, not 14. http://torcoracefuel.net/2-docs/torc...lend-chart.jpg

I've run 100 octane race fuel in the car for a track day and didn't notice any difference over the normal 94 octane I run in it (wasn't by choice... there was only 91 octane available in the area so I bought some 100 to mix with 91 so it was probably around 96 octane in the end). I actually checked my telemetry and my acceleration and top speeds on the straights were identical to just 94 so yea... I don't think you'll notice anything after going beyond 93 octane as others have said. If you have pinging at 91 octane, I think you either need to check your engine or the fuel you're getting isn't actually 91 as advertised.
I did notice a difference when I added it...there is no denying it. I truly felt a quicker response. NO BS. I only use Chevron Gas, but who knows what anyone is getting these days...the oil companies are only out for themselves, that we do know. I'm not going to put another 32oz can in the tank!
Old 12-23-2016 | 12:37 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Torco works, but as noted above, adding 32oz is not bringing your octane up 14 points. No chance.

If you look at your knock sensors, you'll see that they are likely active on 91. Hell my turbo has a few degrees of knock retard on 93. Such is life. Going up to about 95 or so is likely a nonissue.

fwiw, torco has MTBE in it and that can leave a reddish residue on your plugs. Use too much of it, and you'll be changing plugs far more quickly. I used it on my supercharged 700rwhp mustang cobra, and it worked great, but then changing plugs in that car took about 45 minutes with a cup of coffee in hand.
I didn't know there is MTBE in the mixture. I know MTBE is illegal in California for quite sometime now, so I'm shocked that this is sold in California or allowed to be sold with that additive. Nothing in the can says that of course, so I really don't know if you are correct or not.
Old 12-23-2016 | 12:47 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by RaidersR1
I have a tune.
Now we get "the rest of the story". Should have put this in post #1. You've got bigger issues now. Good luck.
Old 12-23-2016 | 01:06 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Originally Posted by LexVan
Now we get "the rest of the story". Should have put this in post #1. You've got bigger issues now. Good luck.
I don't think I do. I found the booster to provide a boost to the overall response, I truely felt it. Now the other things, such as residue and possible other long term effects are a bigger issue for me.

I'm going to speak to my Indy, FD Motorsports, about the pinging and see if there is something I'm not seeing and have him see what's up.
Old 12-23-2016 | 01:06 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Couple things...

What octane was your tune for? If it was for 93 or higher that could be why you have detonation (pinging) with 91.

You also could have a knock sensor issue. It's job is to retard timing in the event of detonation. If that isn't happening your tune or knock sensor is probably the problem.

I would verify the octain the tune is for. If it's 91, then get your knock sensor checked. As others have said, you don't need octain booster unless your tune accounts for it.

In general you need higher octain for more timing and/or more boost.
Old 12-23-2016 | 01:11 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by RaidersR1
I'm going to speak to my Indy, FD Motorsports,.
Best thing you've said all post. You're in good hands.
Old 12-23-2016 | 07:39 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by scorcherjf
The "secret" to getting the most out of racing gas is to run it full strength, as close as you can get.

An EVO magazine test of various gasoline, including race gasoline, found that race gasoline really came into its own at higher RPMs, which makes sense.

While the 100 octane is "wasted" on our Porsche engines the engines can enjoy the other benefits of race gasoline and it is a mistake -- though an understandable one -- to use it with street gasoline in a blend to try to get the 93/94 octane these engines are intended to run.

Quick Reply: Octane Booster