Sponsored by:

Considering a change...thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 06:24 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

my .2 cents:

993: best examples are low miles bone stock, unmolested, original options, but you already know that?

997: get a Turbo, you will never ever be satisfied with a chip and exhaust on an S
Old 12-20-2016, 07:08 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

JPS,
I sold my 993 and went 997.1 C4S. I use my car very much as you do.
Cons:
The 997 is not as cool or rare as the 993.
Pros:
997 is faster, bone stock with Pilot Sport Cup 2s I'm 7 seconds faster around Sebring than my best 993 time on Hoosiers.
997 is MUCH more comfortable in daily driving.
997 is safer
997 takes less maintenance.
997 HVAC is much better
997 is just better at being a car.
I loved my 993. But the time was right to sell it. If i could have afforded to keep it AND get a 997 I would have. But I couldn't and have no regrets.
I spent a couple of days before each DE converting my 993 over to track mode (brakes, harnesses, have a tire trailer with Hoosiers, track mats, etc...) The 997 I go to the track, take my suitcase out and run. End of the weekend, load suitcase, drive home and wash car.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:51 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

As a fellow air cooled Luddite and former PCA club racer looking to get into a newer 911 I can understand the feeling of getting blasted off the track by faster, easier to drive cars. Spending $40k on a monster engine for your 993 would get you part of the way there but the newer cars still have wider tires and better suspension options you will never be able to compete with on track short of turning your car into a complete non street-legal race car.

I recently drove a 997 GTS about 150 miles on city streets, interstate, and curvy back roads and it is an awesome car. It looks, sounds, and feels like a 911. It can be loud and aggressive (stock exhaust with PSE) when you want it to be but when you want quiet and civilized it can do that too. HVAC, Bluetooth, nav, adjustable suspension at the touch of a button, the list goes on.

What are you giving up in going to a newer car? Air-cooled nostalgia, the smell of a chainsaw being stored in your car, and that's about it. At the state your car is in now there's really no collectibility. If I had space would I keep one of each? Maybe but I suspect the 84 would sit a lot.

Only you can decide so test drive a few and let us know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Considering a change...thoughts?