Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help deciphering Porsche service record - possible IMS repair?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016 | 03:10 PM
Grant L
Intermediate

Default help deciphering Porsche service record - possible IMS repair?

Hi all,

I'm in the process of vetting a '06 C2S for purchase and I'm hoping that someone here can help me decipher a Porsche service record that I think might be related to the infamous IMS bearing issue (hopefully not).

This would be my first 911, so I really don't know what I don't know and appreciate any guidance the forum can provide.

-Grant
Attached Images  
Old 11-22-2016 | 03:18 PM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

it looks like they removed the IMS cover to inspect and than reinstalled the cover

when my RMS leaked I had them also open and remove the seal of the IMS to help with lubrication.

However from just looking at what they wrote I can not tell you if they either removed the seal or just opened it to check if oil was leaking from that area.

Perhaps somebody with more insight and experience can tall you.
Old 11-22-2016 | 03:22 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

It may be that the outer bearing cover was removed to inspect the IMS bearing. You have a 2006S which, I believe, should have the larger bearing. The outer bearing cover has a seal and perhaps this was leaking and replaced? In the end, however, I am not sure if there is/was a real problem.
Old 11-22-2016 | 03:28 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Just like said above, the IMS cover was removed, bearing inspected, then reinstalled. If they replaced the IMS there would be a much larger parts cost and many, many more labor hours as the engine would need to be dropped and the engine completely disassembled and the reassembled.

The history seems to indicate multiple RMS replacements which could mean it was never really installed properly....not a good sign for the dealers service department.
Old 11-22-2016 | 08:59 PM
Grant L
Intermediate

Thanks all. During the PPI on this car, the inspector notes that there is light oil seepage, possibly from the crank seal. He states it's not a "leak", but I'm starting to get a bad feeling. The car has less than 16K mi and beyond this issue, the PPI checks out solid....but if that IMS bearing hasn't been getting proper lubrication....If you were in my shoes with this info, what you do?
Old 11-22-2016 | 09:37 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

warm or cold climate? proper/frequent engine oil changes? Is there any type of warranty that comes with the car (I bought an early 2005 with 20k miles, my piece of mind came when It came with a warranty that is good until almost the end of 2019). If not, how much would it cost you to get a warranty (assuming you are sold on the rest of the car). Is there a blackstone report? Lots of questions
Old 11-22-2016 | 10:46 PM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

@GRant L - I would probably stay away from it and move on

what would concern me is that the constant leaking.

the only thing you can get a piece of mind is if they open everything up again to look at the RMS and the IMS - however the cost is about $1500 +/- . If they eat the cost and it is just the RMS seal have them replace it and have them remove the seal on the IMS at the same time.

other than that you will never know - no easy way to check

when I had my RMS fixed about 2 years ago and have had no issues and feel they did a great job.

there are many other cars out there for your to pick just be patient - I looked for about a year until I found my car. By all means it was not perfect it had some wear inside - a women drove it and her heels scratched the leather in some areas and some other minor cosmetic things but mechanically it was sound.
Old 11-23-2016 | 12:57 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Fahrer
It may be that the outer bearing cover was removed to inspect the IMS bearing. You have a 2006S which, I believe, should have the larger bearing. The outer bearing cover has a seal and perhaps this was leaking and replaced? In the end, however, I am not sure if there is/was a real problem.
The only action possible on the large bearing is the removal of the seal to improve splash lubrication. You cannot replace the seal and to replace the bearing assembly you have to disassemble the motor. Maybe you are thinking of the RMS seal.
Old 11-23-2016 | 08:26 AM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Personally, I would never buy a car that is leaking oil from the engine unless the car is from the 1960's or earlier.
Old 12-15-2016 | 03:33 AM
Grant L
Intermediate

Thanks again for the replies. After much thought and a little negotiating I jumped in and bought it! Car was delivered this afternoon to me and I'm very hopeful that it will be smooth sailing ahead. Will also have a local shop give it a once over now just to be sure.
Attached Images   
Old 12-15-2016 | 11:20 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Check out them FAT exhaust tips! Car looks sweet, gonna share some DEETS?

Since you've already got it, I wouldn't counsel against it ...

But I am always a 'trust your gut' guy when making biggish purchases.

Clearly something told you this is too good to pass up.

The mileage is great - and you know, it's a machine, so it can be fixed. Be thorough in the inspection now that it's in your zip code, but don't worry too much, just take care of what needs to be taken care of, and drive it. Looks like you almost need to treat it as new for a 'break in' period because it looks BRAND NEW! hahaha Congrats.

What's going on under the rear deck? Is it just the exhaust tips we see? Or are there some other fabspeed / AWE / NHP bits tucked under that little wing?

Tell us what you love most about it now that she's yours!

- Dan
Old 12-15-2016 | 12:42 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gpjli2
The only action possible on the large bearing is the removal of the seal to improve splash lubrication. You cannot replace the seal and to replace the bearing assembly you have to disassemble the motor. Maybe you are thinking of the RMS seal.
There is a cover with a seal which goes over the IMS bearing. It can leak.
Old 12-15-2016 | 02:46 PM
06C2s
Racer

Love the color, ENJOY!
Old 12-15-2016 | 06:15 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Nice ride, it's definitely a garage queen being an 06 with 16K miles. Put some miles on her for gods sake
Old 12-20-2016 | 10:20 AM
Grant L
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Comanche_699
Check out them FAT exhaust tips! Car looks sweet, gonna share some DEETS?

Since you've already got it, I wouldn't counsel against it ...

But I am always a 'trust your gut' guy when making biggish purchases.

Clearly something told you this is too good to pass up.

The mileage is great - and you know, it's a machine, so it can be fixed. Be thorough in the inspection now that it's in your zip code, but don't worry too much, just take care of what needs to be taken care of, and drive it. Looks like you almost need to treat it as new for a 'break in' period because it looks BRAND NEW! hahaha Congrats.

What's going on under the rear deck? Is it just the exhaust tips we see? Or are there some other fabspeed / AWE / NHP bits tucked under that little wing?

Tell us what you love most about it now that she's yours!

- Dan
Thanks, the exhaust itself is stock, but does have some nice looking Fabspeed tips. It's a relatively low option C2S (non-Chrono, non-Sport Shifter), but along the way one or more of the previous 3 owners put some money into the suspension (RSS Tarmac suspension kit, GMG swaybars, Tarett droplinks) and a new Kenwood DDX773BH head unit; all in all considering the low miles and extras the deal was solid in my opinion.

Weather was crummy the first few days after it arrive (aside from the actual afternoon it rolled off the truck, but I had to go right back into the office) so I haven't driven it much yet, but looking forward to getting out and seeing what's she's got soon. Car will be my DD, so hopefully lots of fun soon to come.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: help deciphering Porsche service record - possible IMS repair?