997.1 M97 Throttle Response - hesitation/bog

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 10:50 AM
riggzee2
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 997.1 M97 Throttle Response - hesitation/bog

Not to sound too naïve but...
My 05 997S seems to have a slight hesitation when I rev it, (out of gear) from idle... And being a Tipronic S
(not in sport mode) it starts off in second gear, which it seems to have a bit of a bog initially. It has always done this in the 2 1/2 years I've owned it.
(INDE Mechanic says, it's normal to bog/hesitate when taking off in 2nd)
However, I drove a 2007 997S the other day (6 speed) and the throttle response did Not hesitate or bog when I revved it!
Any input?
Old 12-14-2016, 11:22 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

The 997.1 S has a bit of a bog around 2700-2900 rpm under light throttle applications. Its well known, there are threads in here on it. I got a tune that got rid of it.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:28 AM
riggzee2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DC911S
The 997.1 S has a bit of a bog around 2700-2900 rpm under light throttle applications. Its well known, there are threads in here on it. I got a tune that got rid of it.

What kind if Tune are you referring to?
Threads are listed under what?
Old 12-15-2016, 02:53 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,192 Likes on 3,948 Posts

Even in non-sport mode, you can bump the tip - button so it starts in 1st. My Tip Turbo Cayenne does this 2nd gear start when not in sport mode too, and it's kind of annoying. At least on the Cayenne, there's a reason for it (to build boost), but why a NA 997 would be designed to start this way is beyond me. In the Cayenne, I start the car, put it in sport mode, then put the ride height and suspension settings back to Normal. This makes it start off in 1st but drive in Normal mode for the other settings. Wish I could store a favorite profile like you can on the newer ones, but oh well.

You should be able to do the same thing in your 997, or just hit the minus before you leave each stop.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:00 PM
riggzee2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Even in non-sport mode, you can bump the tip - button so it starts in 1st. My Tip Turbo Cayenne does this 2nd gear start when not in sport mode too, and it's kind of annoying. At least on the Cayenne, there's a reason for it (to build boost), but why a NA 997 would be designed to start this way is beyond me. In the Cayenne, I start the car, put it in sport mode, then put the ride height and suspension settings back to Normal. This makes it start off in 1st but drive in Normal mode for the other settings. Wish I could store a favorite profile like you can on the newer ones, but oh well.

You should be able to do the same thing in your 997, or just hit the minus before you leave each stop.
Yes, can (and do) the same thing... And, I too wish you could save a map it matched to my driving style that day! The Real question is, if anyone experiences a initial hesitation/bog when revving from idle - out of gear?
Old 12-15-2016, 04:12 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by riggzee2
Yes, can (and do) the same thing... And, I too wish you could save a map it matched to my driving style that day! The Real question is, if anyone experiences a initial hesitation/bog when revving from idle - out of gear?
I used to notice that too, but on both my 997s, it was eliminated by going to a different intake - one has a Fabspeed and the other an Evoms. Throttle response is better with those too - just have to make sure you don't overoil the filters or run the dry filter versions.

Now everyone can respond about how the aftermarket "hot air intakes" are bad and don't do anything - LOL.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:26 PM
riggzee2
Rennlist Member

Unhappy

I used to notice that too, but on both my 997s, it was eliminated by going to a different intake - one has a Fabspeed and the other an Evoms. Throttle response is better with those too - just have to make sure you don't overoil the filters or run the dry filter versions.

Now everyone can respond about how the aftermarket "hot air intakes" are bad and don't do anything - LOL.
Too funny....

I run an OEM Filter, maybe changing that might help.. Didn't have it in the equation to change intake.. Are you talking about the tube from the air box, or intake runners?
(I drove an 07 997S 6 SPD the other day... Rev was smooth from idle all the way through! Mine just hesitates upon initial throttle rev~)
Old 12-15-2016, 04:27 PM
riggzee2
Rennlist Member

Too funny....

I run an OEM Filter, maybe changing that might help.. Didn't have it in the equation to change intake.. Are you talking about the tube from the air box, or intake runners?
(I drove an 07 997S 6 SPD the other day... Rev was smooth from idle all the way through! Mine just hesitates upon initial throttle rev~)
Oh, wait... Are you talking about the one in your picture?
Old 12-15-2016, 04:32 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Too funny....

I'm talking about the complete intake

when was the last time coil packs and plugs were done?
Old 12-15-2016, 04:42 PM
riggzee2
Rennlist Member

I'm talking about the complete intake

when was the last time coil packs and plugs were done?

I have had the car for 27k miles of it's life, and I have Never done them.
Don't know for certain if it was done @ 60k burp or not~ Runs awfully strong to have bad plugs or coil packs! fires right up... It has always had that slight hesitation, like a holly carburetor!
Old 12-15-2016, 07:55 PM
Wasserkühlung
Rennlist Member

I have a 07 C2S with mods (see in signature). I have a slight dead spot in my throttle if I barely press the accelerator keeping revs under 1,000 rpms. RPM will go down to around 700-800, almost feels like the ECU doesn't know the throttle is barely open and does not provide adequate fuel for the added air going into the engine. During regular stop and go driving I don't even notice it. I have been told this can be "tuned" out. Does this sound like the same thing you are experiencing?
Old 12-15-2016, 08:15 PM
riggzee2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wasserkühlung
I have a 07 C2S with mods (see in signature). I have a slight dead spot in my throttle if I barely press the accelerator keeping revs under 1,000 rpms. RPM will go down to around 700-800, almost feels like the ECU doesn't know the throttle is barely open and does not provide adequate fuel for the added air going into the engine. During regular stop and go driving I don't even notice it. I have been told this can be "tuned" out. Does this sound like the same thing you are experiencing?
Yep. .. just as you described! (Also, just noticed of I Rev it Not in Sport mode, there is virtually No lag/hesitation!
By tune it out, what kind of tune? ECU?
Old 12-15-2016, 09:17 PM
Wasserkühlung
Rennlist Member

Yes ECU tune. This is my next mod but I am waiting as I may install high flow cats and want to have all mechanical modifications completed before I have Evoms provide the tune. I have a manual transmission with a light weight flywheel so revs come up very quickly. It is not noticeable at all. during regular driving. I only noticed the other day as I have a rattle coming from one of my mufflers and the only time it rattles is around 1100 rpms.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:37 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

I think I notice the same issue. Rebuild with the 4L and the intake and exhaust mods. Almost feels like the engine is trying to catch up with the increased intake capacity just off idle. Its barley noticeable and once its off idle it howls. May be a tune issue and I plan to take the car in for a tune in the spring to see how we can maximize all the mods done in the past year
Old 12-15-2016, 09:57 PM
riggzee2
Rennlist Member

As, for the hesitation. ..
My mechanic says just disconnect the battery for about an hour, this will reset the fuel trims.
Said its partularly bad with Tips!

Last edited by riggzee2; 12-15-2016 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Verbaige

Quick Reply: 997.1 M97 Throttle Response - hesitation/bog