Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 TT Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016 | 07:53 PM
Max_V
3rd Gear

Question 997.1 TT Cabriolet

I have seen some post, and some recommendations, but it seems that I cannot reach to the right answer.

Here is my situation:

I have a 997.1 TT Cabriolet, which I have taken to AutoCross and have done some DE.

Most clubs here in the DC Area, will require all Cabriolets to have a roll-bar for DE and high speed performance driving.

Asking around, I have found a couple of roll-bars that I can add to my car, however, they all involve making it "permanent" by making a hole in the chassis.
There are a couple of options that will bolt straight into the seat belt and seat, but it seems not to fit the cabriolet back seats.

Since I use my car to take my son to school (he is 2 1/2 so he is using his car seat in the back), I am looking at something that I can keep off the car, and only install for track day.

Am I asking for too much or there is any product out there that can fit my needs?

Thanks,
Old 12-01-2016 | 09:38 PM
vern1
Race Car

If you have already done a DE why do they now require you to have a roll bar? The 997 cabs have pop up roll bars that at least here in Cda are sufficient for DE's. The older cars like my 993 needed a cage as they did not have the pop ups

If these DE's are not Porsche ones have you pointed out to them the roll over protection built in to the car?
Old 12-01-2016 | 10:11 PM
Max_V
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by vern1
If you have already done a DE why do they now require you to have a roll bar? The 997 cabs have pop up roll bars that at least here in Cda are sufficient for DE's. The older cars like my 993 needed a cage as they did not have the pop ups

If these DE's are not Porsche ones have you pointed out to them the roll over protection built in to the car?
I was able to do DE School. At that time, I was able to do it without rollbars.

I mostly do Autocross, but now I have done twice DE (both starting school in different clubs), when trying to enroll to normal DE, they are all asking for that requirement.

I have tried PCA and Audi Club. Tried VIR, Summit Point, and all of them have that requirement. They just don't want us driving cabriolets without protection.
Old 12-02-2016 | 12:50 PM
vern1
Race Car

But my point is, it DOES have protection! In the event of a potential (or actual) rollover, the bars deploy to protect the occupants

Have they specifically acknowledged the pop bars and said you need a fixed rollbar or cage?
Old 12-02-2016 | 01:30 PM
Max_V
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by vern1
But my point is, it DOES have protection! In the event of a potential (or actual) rollover, the bars deploy to protect the occupants

Have they specifically acknowledged the pop bars and said you need a fixed rollbar or cage?
Actually, I reviewed the rules on the website for PCA and Audi Club:

PCA states this:

1) At all tracks EXCEPT VIR, the 996/997 pop-up roll bar and the Boxster integral roll hoops are considered acceptable, subject to the 2-inch rule (see below).
2) At VIR ONLY, the 996/997 cabriolet pop-up roll bar is NOT considered acceptable. Cabs require a roll bar that meets club race specs.

Which means, Yes to all tracks except VIR. Ok, I thought all tracks, though I have had my DE school in Summit Point and had no complaints. However, I don't recall seeing many "other tracks" for the PCA Potomac.

Audi Club, however states this:

“Open Top” Vehicles - Convertibles, Targa, and T-tops:
At this time, most convertibles are NOT permitted to participate in ACNA driving schools with sessions that take place “at speed” (i.e. HPDE and HPDC). This includes convertibles with factory roll hoops and/or deployable rollover protection.

For such vehicles to be allowed to participate in “at speed” events, the minimum requirements are:
  • A four point roll cage consisting of a main hoop behind the front seats with two rear-triangulated braces.
  • Minimum of four-point safety harness with ASM (anti-submarining). The same equipment is required for driver and passenger.
  • Additional protection in the form of arm restraints for both driver and instructor is recommended.
  • Enforcement of the “broomstick rule” for all occupants and vehicles. Minimum clearance (with helmet on) will be two inches below a straight edge, placed from the top of the roll hoop to the top of the windshield frame
Which means, No rollbar, no participation.

Then some track rules, in other events, they have similar rules as the outlined above.

So that is why I said earlier, it is a lot of info and it will depend either from the track, or from the club/event.

I just want to track my 997 TT without concerns to where or when I can do it.

Quick Reply: 997.1 TT Cabriolet