Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gundo with on/off valves

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016 | 10:29 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Default Gundo with on/off valves

Anyone done this on a 997? I wonder if the bypass pipe on the 997 muffler is long enough to fit a valve.

993 exhaust with on/off valves
Old 11-29-2016 | 11:24 PM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

that would be a sweet upgrade

watched the video at the link you posted and the sound is real nice
Old 12-01-2016 | 02:29 PM
Iceter
Drifting

That would be, essentially, what Porsche does when you buy sport exhaust as an option.

It's a cool idea, but I like the sound of my car with the Gundo hack so much I don't want to ever turn it off.

And, realistically, it would be a lot of work for a very minor change in tone between Gundo off and Gundo on.
Old 12-02-2016 | 01:08 AM
Ducati_John
Advanced

I was thinking about doing it when I modified my mufflers, but I couldn't find valves that were the right size and weren't super expensive. I definitely would have tried those. You could probably fit them in by putting them closer to the muffler body where the pipes are farther apart, but that makes it a bit harder to get in to the back sides of the weld joints.
Old 12-02-2016 | 04:17 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Iceter
That would be, essentially, what Porsche does when you buy sport exhaust as an option.

And, realistically, it would be a lot of work for a very minor change in tone between Gundo off and Gundo on.
For about 1/10 he cost.

The level of change would depend on other exhaust mods. If you're bone stock with gundo only, yes, it would be a minor change. If you have sport cats, bypasses, or center muffler bypass it would be a larger change.
Old 12-02-2016 | 07:33 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

I thought about this and researched it. Can get parts for about $160. 2.5 inch is the smallest I could find

( http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-Electric-...3D152134042016 )

Figure , I would just go ahead and do a simple gundo and if it was too noisy I can always add the valves........ from my research , i have yet to hear anyone not liking it.

Old 12-02-2016 | 10:28 PM
Ducati_John
Advanced

I wouldn't go 2.5" unless you like it really loud. I did 2" and I wish I'd done 1.5". I just start to hear drone over the tire noise on the highway, but I'm rarely on the highway.

Here's 2". This is unavailable but there are links to others for sale.
https://www.amazon.com/Closed-Exhaus...5BQFHAPEEZP93Q
Old 12-04-2016 | 12:52 AM
FLA 997
Advanced

Might be a dumb question but...
Does the the Gundo hack work for the S model as well?
Or is the exhaust already "hacked" on the S?
Just purchased my first one but it hasn't been delivered yet.
Old 12-04-2016 | 12:57 AM
Ducati_John
Advanced

Mine is an S and had regular mufflers. The PSE (Porsche sport exhaust) option is the factory 'hack'.
Old 12-04-2016 | 09:43 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FLA 997
Might be a dumb question but...
Does the the Gundo hack work for the S model as well?
Or is the exhaust already "hacked" on the S?
Just purchased my first one but it hasn't been delivered yet.
Yes you can gundo your S mufflers and based on the pictures of your car (cool color) in the other thread you don't already have the factory Porsche sport exhaust. If you did your muffler tips would be two different sizes and slightly offset.
Old 12-04-2016 | 01:13 PM
FLA 997
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ducati_John
Mine is an S and had regular mufflers. The PSE (Porsche sport exhaust) option is the factory 'hack'.
Sounds like I do as well.

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Yes you can gundo your S mufflers and based on the pictures of your car (cool color) in the other thread you don't already have the factory Porsche sport exhaust. If you did your muffler tips would be two different sizes and slightly offset.
Ahhhh. So much to learn.
I assumed by pushing the "sport" button it opened up the exhaust.
I understand now that's an option.
I decoded my VIN and don't see a PSE option, and see what you mean about my tips all being the same. I see now others are different.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to keep reading. It's going to be a long week waiting for this car!!
Old 09-19-2019 | 03:30 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Bump, anyone added valves to their gundo?
Old 09-19-2019 | 06:53 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

To add, I actually think the Fisters I have on my car are super quiet but sound proper.
Here is a useless youtube video I made but I don't think this would even **** off the Homeowner's Association at some of the Naziesque places I have experienced.
Valving it seems unnecessary in any case. Maybe if you were fully bypassing the mufflers or something more gnarly.
Old 09-19-2019 | 08:16 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jamesinger
To add, I actually think the Fisters I have on my car are super quiet but sound proper.
Here is a useless youtube video I made but I don't think this would even **** off the Homeowner's Association at some of the Naziesque places I have experienced.
Valving it seems unnecessary in any case. Maybe if you were fully bypassing the mufflers or something more gnarly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j54e9VAgq48
That sounds great. Put some headphones and listen to it though, it’s not quiet. How is it on a 75mph @3000 highway cruise? That’s when I found myself making the former GTS I had as quiet as possible. The tire noise was so loud I wanted the exhaust as quiet as it could be so I could hear a podcast or some music...hence my desire for a Jekyll and Hyde exhaust. I want bone stock normally then a Cup car at the touch of a button.
Old 09-19-2019 | 08:42 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chris M.
That sounds great. Put some headphones and listen to it though, it’s not quiet. How is it on a 75mph @3000 highway cruise? That’s when I found myself making the former GTS I had as quiet as possible. The tire noise was so loud I wanted the exhaust as quiet as it could be so I could hear a podcast or some music...hence my desire for a Jekyll and Hyde exhaust. I want bone stock normally then a Cup car at the touch of a button.
I want to say that the cold start is it at its loudest when not screaming WOT to redline with the rest of the car. I don't notice it at highway speeds but I never use or talk on the phone while driving because I just want to drive even if I am in stop and go traffic. I also have a habit of cruising at surface streets around 3k rather than shifting up a gear and the sound is fine to me. However, one man's quiet is another man's nightmare. I have had stock exhausts to 3" straight pipes on an EVO + some on-purpose louder antisocial stuff on my 50 chevy and my 73 Hornet. I would say this is the best sound close to stock quiet I have had on any car and at this point in my life, that is exactly what I want.

Last, my neighbor has some GMC Denali monster that is WAY louder than my car and that thing is 100% stock. I know when he leaves and when he comes back no matter where I am. His exhaust also annoys my dog. Sadly, my dog does not hear my exhaust in that same way, so he will be asleep on the couch and surprised when I open the door. When I had the EVO, my dog and everyone else for 3 blocks knew I was home, lol. I liked it but at work, some of my co-workers/haters would put their fingers in their ears when I would drive into the underground lot, haha.

Last last, I think volume is controllable by pipe size as mentioned before. Fister just seems to have it down to a science and is local to me but there are a lot of size theories out there on what is louder/quieter...

Quick Reply: Gundo with on/off valves