Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shenanigans at the Dealer? says I need new brakes ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 07:42 PM
Ptech1
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

As a previous dealer technician, I can tell you that those measure at 5mm all day long, with a new pad starting at 11-12mm. There are measurement tools you can slide between the spokes to confirm. Warning will not come on until 2-3mm, with the only caveat being outer rotor lip wearing through the sensor wire beforehand. On most street cars (Panameras and Cayennes aside), you can go through two sets of pads before rotors measure close to or below minimum thickness spec.
Find yourself a decent independent, I recently quoted the same $1800 Cayenne GTS front brake replacement for a client at $825, using the same brand of OEM replacement rotors and pads, and with the proper mark up and labor. Dealerships have a bad rap for a reason.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:43 PM
Anthony's
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run it til the indicator makes contact. He really depends on how you drive. You almost can count on replacing the rotors. Don't buy bargain parts. Use textar pads and rotors. Best value for the dollar.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:51 AM
lurchphil
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If rotors are not worn beyond limits, they can be turned by shops with equipment that will accept drilled rotors. Mine were lightly worn and after turning, they worked perfectly. $20 per rotor.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:10 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,589 Likes on 4,190 Posts

Not a good idea to turn drilled rotors. You lose most if not all of the hole chamfer which can make them prone to cracking between the holes. You also reduce the heat sink which makes them more prone to warping under heavy use.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:17 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Don't the rotors have an indentation on them to show when they are worn down to a minimum ?
Old 11-26-2016, 11:47 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

One thing to remember is that the wear sensors measure wear out the outer lip. So if the lip is pronounced as a result of rotor wear, the wear sensor will trigger earlier. If it we possible to turn only the outer 2-3mm of the rotor to eliminate the lip, that would be ideal.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:47 PM
Ratdog33
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CAVU
A few ideas come to mind:

- Visual. Textar pad for my 911 and its GTS variant is 17mm new. http://textar.brakebook.com/bb/texta...atasheet.xhtml I've seen some literature that has the friction material at 12 mm, leaving 5mm for the backing plate. Looking at your images and your 2 nickle test, I'd say you are very close.

- Measure insitu. https://www.amazon.com/8milelake-Bra...dp/B01AXMT2VW/

- Measure insitu. https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Valve-Off...dp/B01IPWOAOQ/ Stack them as needed and slide the stack in there and let some get pushed up and away. Then either add up the stack that remains or measure with a micrometer.

As some have mentioned, if you are not tracking, let them get to 2mm (sensor goes off) and then install new pads and sensors, and rotors if required.

My dealer was telling me that my front pads were due on my Cayenne. My measurements and wear rate is telling me I have at least another 25,000 left on the pads and 20,000 left on the rotor. I think I will wait.
Thanks for the tip. I picked up the gauge set. Here are my results. 5.5 6mm is what I see. Seems like they were trying to sell me I did not need.
Attached Images  
Old 11-28-2016, 10:11 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratdog33
Thanks for the tip. I picked up the gauge set. Here are my results. 5.5 6mm is what I see. Seems like they were trying to sell me I did not need.
Cool gadget, but as noted, you car will tell you by popping a light.

You will need a caliper to measure the rotor thickness.... cheap ones at Harbor Freight.

BTW, I never turned a Porsche rotor and they never grooved on me. My last pad change (actually my first at around 75K miles??) the rotors were fine but close.... so, figuring I would get at least another 75K on the Porsche pads, I went ahead and changed the rotors too.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 11-28-2016, 01:32 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

If you were looking for more affirmation, I wholeheartedly agree that the dealer is trying to screw you. There is no doubt, looking at your pictures, that you have thousands upon thousands of miles left on those pads--with the only caveat being that they all have worn the same amount and you don't have some weird, uneven wear on another caliper that we're not seeing.

I can't speak to your car in particular, but on a base 997, there are dimples machined into the rotor face for the purposes of showing rotor wear. They are machined at two different depths, the shallower one to indicate intermediate wear and the deeper one to indicate the wear limit of the rotors.

While the service writer's comment that "it's a Porsche" is correct, to an extent, what he's also done is sized you up and decided that you're not smart enough to know whether your brakes need replacing or not. Keep your pics and send them to PCNA with your service review survey.

FWIW, I will give shops opportunities to fix a screw up, but I will only give a shop one opportunity to be honest and act in an ethical way. I can tolerate mistakes. I will not tolerate lies.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:51 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
I can't speak to your car in particular, but on a base 997, there are dimples machined into the rotor face for the purposes of showing rotor wear. They are machined at two different depths, the shallower one to indicate intermediate wear and the deeper one to indicate the wear limit of the rotors.
Are these dimples on my 2009 C2S rotors? I never saw them.... but I never looked and was unaware at the time Porsche did this.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 11-28-2016, 03:19 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Ratdog33 - as others have so clearly stated, your pads are fine and the wear sensors will tell you when they are no longer fine. The only reason I am writing to confirm what has been said so many times already is to unofficially welcome you to the club in advance - the club of the DIY'ers. Usually it starts with super high priced oil changes but as in your case it looks like an unnecessary and high priced brake change may be the trigger. As you have already started doing so, you will slowly gain more and more tools and knowledge and before you know it, you'll be doing the brake jobs yourself and paying only for parts while enjoying the therapeutic nature of working on your GTS. So, again welcome to the club.

PS - Don't let the center locking wheels scare you away, they are not difficult to manage, just take your time and reach out for some pointers, advice, help, or documents. They too are very manageable.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:10 AM
Ratdog33
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Iceter
If you were looking for more affirmation, I wholeheartedly agree that the dealer is trying to screw you. There is no doubt, looking at your pictures, that you have thousands upon thousands of miles left on those pads--with the only caveat being that they all have worn the same amount and you don't have some weird, uneven wear on another caliper that we're not seeing.

While the service writer's comment that "it's a Porsche" is correct, to an extent, what he's also done is sized you up and decided that you're not smart enough to know whether your brakes need replacing or not. Keep your pics and send them to PCNA with your service review survey.

FWIW, I will give shops opportunities to fix a screw up, but I will only give a shop one opportunity to be honest and act in an ethical way. I can tolerate mistakes. I will not tolerate lies.
Very well said. I could not agree more. Thank you

Originally Posted by stronbl
Ratdog33 - as others have so clearly stated, your pads are fine and the wear sensors will tell you when they are no longer fine. The only reason I am writing to confirm what has been said so many times already is to unofficially welcome you to the club in advance - the club of the DIY'ers. Usually it starts with super high priced oil changes but as in your case it looks like an unnecessary and high priced brake change may be the trigger. As you have already started doing so, you will slowly gain more and more tools and knowledge and before you know it, you'll be doing the brake jobs yourself and paying only for parts while enjoying the therapeutic nature of working on your GTS. So, again welcome to the club.

PS - Don't let the center locking wheels scare you away, they are not difficult to manage, just take your time and reach out for some pointers, advice, help, or documents. They too are very manageable.
My balance with this whole dramatic event is I still have warranty on the car, so crushing the relationship with the dealer over this would have other impacts to consider.

P.S. Any suggestions on a torque wrench would be appreciated
Old 11-29-2016, 01:17 AM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You do have plenty of pad life left, best to get your money's worth out of them if not heading to the track.

You should not feel you are risking your warranty service by bringing this up with the dealer. You have recourse through PCNA if you have a warranty issue you feel is not being handled appropriately...

Your dealer may not be trying to "screw you" but they are trying to oversell you. We see this all the time. That big expensive building needs to get paid for. This is the exact practice that gives the industry a bad name. They think you will blindly trust them as they are the dealer. Fact is, a great number of service writers have never worked on a car and don't get it. They are trying to achieve the sales goals the dealership management has set out for them, and they can't think long term customer retention, let alone doing what is right. Just today we had a drop in new customer who had recently visited the dealer. He had a "noise in the engine" and the dealership told him it needed replacement. They quoted him 30k (CDN) for a replacement motor as his only option. Now, the motor may need replacing, but we will diagnose next week and present a few alternatives... The car is question is 996 C4S that is maybe worth 25-30K (CDN)

You were wise to seek another opinion, and got many.

Any name brand calibrated torque wrench will suffice. I am partial to Snap-On digital wrenches but they can be overkill for DIY.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:49 AM
Ratdog33
Intermediate

Originally Posted by altonj
You do have plenty of pad life left, best to get your money's worth out of them if not heading to the track.

You should not feel you are risking your warranty service by bringing this up with the dealer. You have recourse through PCNA if you have a warranty issue you feel is not being handled appropriately...

Your dealer may not be trying to "screw you" but they are trying to oversell you. We see this all the time. That big expensive building needs to get paid for. This is the exact practice that gives the industry a bad name. They think you will blindly trust them as they are the dealer. Fact is, a great number of service writers have never worked on a car and don't get it. They are trying to achieve the sales goals the dealership management has set out for them, and they can't think long term customer retention, let alone doing what is right. Just today we had a drop in new customer who had recently visited the dealer. He had a "noise in the engine" and the dealership told him it needed replacement. They quoted him 30k (CDN) for a replacement motor as his only option. Now, the motor may need replacing, but we will diagnose next week and present a few alternatives... The car is question is 996 C4S that is maybe worth 25-30K (CDN)

You were wise to seek another opinion, and got many.

Any name brand calibrated torque wrench will suffice. I am partial to Snap-On digital wrenches but they can be overkill for DIY.
Thanks, but a snap on torque wrench big enough to torque the center locks would cost as much as the car! Jk
Old 11-29-2016, 01:53 AM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For centerlocks, get a torque multiplier

Quick Reply: Shenanigans at the Dealer? says I need new brakes ASAP!