Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shenanigans at the Dealer? says I need new brakes ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 04:04 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Pretty sure P dealers will always install new rotors when replacing pads. Not sure if any auto dealership will turn rotors anymore except for independents.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:26 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by docdrs
Why do you need someone to tell you your brakes need changing when you have wear sensors?????
Your dealer sucks. Your car has wear sensors and will pop a light on your dash when ready. It is in your manual. The sensors sense both pads per rotor... eight sensors on your car.

Find another dealer and don't worry about your pads until your car tells you.

Porsche is becoming like Ferrari.... the high prices are attracting a different kind of buyer, the buyers are ignorant, and dealers are adapting. Just like Ferrari dealers. These forums are becoming important.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 11-24-2016, 10:08 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

Shenanigans for sure. Good for you for questioning. But there should be some trust level? It literally has become a customer vs service provider battle.
I stick my camera in my STi brakes twice a year at tire change time. I know the status of my car brakes and my next service will be more expensive.
But that is also why the indy's have a place in the repair world. A second opinion, and a second and perhaps more cost effective option. With knowledge is power, ask the questions.
You are wise in your research.
Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2016, 10:32 AM
Ratdog33
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
I would take it to an independent and get the rotors measured. And if you confirm the dealer was lying, give them "0's" on their survey and complain to PCNA. I bet they won't try to screw you next time.
been thinking about the inevitable call from the advisor and the survey to come. I will obviously call him out, which will certainly result in a series of explanations, excuses and deflections.

Question is, does the survey carry any weight? And keep in mind that the next dealer is over a 100 miles away. I have a good Indy, but I need a good relation at the dealer for the warranty.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:34 AM
Ratdog33
Intermediate

BIG SmoKe, you are getting your last couple of scrubs from those pads!
Old 11-24-2016, 12:19 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratdog33
been thinking about the inevitable call from the advisor and the survey to come. I will obviously call him out, which will certainly result in a series of explanations, excuses and deflections.

Question is, does the survey carry any weight? And keep in mind that the next dealer is over a 100 miles away. I have a good Indy, but I need a good relation at the dealer for the warranty.
The survey absolutely carries weight. PCNA appears to hold dealers accountable for less than perfect marks. It likely affects a dealership's bonuses and/or their car allocations (or their ability to get hot cars). However, before you take this road, I would make sure the dealer really was trying to pull a fast one on you (i.e. an independent check). Definitely up to you though, depending on your need to go back there and how badly you think they want your business. Might be good to talk to them first and give them a chance to make it right.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:26 PM
Ratdog33
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
The survey absolutely carries weight. PCNA appears to hold dealers accountable for less than perfect marks. It likely affects a dealership's bonuses and/or their car allocations (or their ability to get hot cars). However, before you take this road, I would make sure the dealer really was trying to pull a fast one on you (i.e. an independent check). Definitely up to you though, depending on your need to go back there and how badly you think they want your business. Might be good to talk to them first and give them a chance to make it right.

My thought exactly. I want to give them (dealer) the chance to get on the straight and narrow and make me whole, or I guess I could go across the street from them and buy an R8 from the Audi dealer
Old 11-24-2016, 01:29 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ratdog33
BIG SmoKe, you are getting your last couple of scrubs from those pads!
Car will be going into service in the next two weeks. I know I will get the call from my service guy. BUT, I will be prepared with competitive pricing. He knows who he is calling and often adjusts to a fairer pricing practice.

As I always say... I don't mind you getting a little chubby of my business, I just don't like you getting FAT.

Good on the o/p for keeping his eyes open.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:44 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Porsche is becoming like Ferrari.... the high prices are attracting a different kind of buyer, the buyers are ignorant, and dealers are adapting. Just like Ferrari dealers. These forums are becoming important.
You're absolutely right, they know where the money is.

Porsche used to have entry level cars like the 912, 914, 912E, 924 and 944. The looked into the idea or returning to a similar sports car about 10-15 years ago but it got nixed. It was said that they wanted to take the brand further up market as that's where the (higher) profits were. A new entry level car might "tarnish" the high profile image they'd attained. Porsches used to be sports cars with a little luxury available as an option. The 928 started the move towards more GT. Now they're primarily luxury cars with a sporting image.

Back in the '70s that market was so important to Porsche that when they discontinued the entry level 914, they brought back the 912 for one year (1976) as a stop gap to the soon-to-come 924 (I read that many years ago but Mike Brewer reminded me of it on the latest Wheeler Dealers episode).
Old 11-24-2016, 02:38 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Also realize that before the cayenne, dealer service centers were ghost towns in the winter months. The cayenne completely changed the dealer service dept biz model.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:56 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

I don't blame the dealers for trying to seek revenue. 20 years ago, a car was in for service 3-4 times a year.
Now? Once a year? Will your brakes last until next time you are in? Maybe not...
Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2016, 03:01 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Dealerships are in the business of making as much money as they can.
Old 11-24-2016, 03:49 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Run!

Your dealer reminds me of my onetime service experience with Porsche of Arlington (VA).
Old 11-24-2016, 05:41 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

I'd say those pads look to be at 40%. Someone can post what 4mm represents in terms of pad % remaining. Let's assume it's 40%, if so then your 5 year old car has 2 years before it needs pads.

The pad warning came on 10k miles ago on my Cayenne and I just swapped them last weekend. I'd say I had another 10K remaining. That said you don't want to get to zero if you're reusing the rotors.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:13 PM
Hilltopper
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

[QUOTE=JAGMAN1;13768526]I'd say those pads look to be at 40%. Someone can post what 4mm represents in terms of pad % remaining. Let's assume it's 40%, if so then your 5 year old car has 2 years before it needs pads.

The pad warning came on 10k miles ago on my Cayenne and I just swapped them last weekend. I'd say I had another 10K remaining. That said you don't want to get to zero if you're reusing the rotors.[/QUOTE

I did obvious pre-emptive at 33.000 mi with new OEM rotors and Hawk ceramic on the 997 and have not looked back.

Quick Reply: Shenanigans at the Dealer? says I need new brakes ASAP!