Sponsored by:

alternatives to durametric

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 09:13 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts
Default alternatives to durametric

are there any new devices/softwares or, i don''t really know what to call them, just saw on you tube a device being sold that interfaces with smartphones, plugs into the obd port...but it only works on u.s. cars...anyone? i'm sure there is new stuff coming out all the time...
Old 11-23-2016, 10:19 AM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

Well, since you want an alternative to Durametric, there is PIWIS..... I know that does not help.

Yves
Old 11-23-2016, 10:27 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 151 Posts

I have one called Blue Thunder that talks to my phone via bluetooth. I used it on my Cadillac V. So the other day I plugged it in to the OBD port on the 911, it was able to read the 911's ECU and link to my iPhone. I was able to see various data fields and other items. But it would not let me clear the Service reminder light and I'm guessing not clear an airbag light either. I did not have any fault codes listed so I don't know if it would let me clear any. But Durametric should come up with a app based system via Bluetooth so you don't have to lug the PC down to the car.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:20 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

For IPhone you must have a wifi OBD dongle.
For Android you can use Bluetooth dongle.

Elm327 is by far the most sold one. I have one myself (Wifi version)

Best Apps for iPhone is "DashCmd or "REV"
For Andoid I prefer "Torque" app

Please note that you can see a lot of things. Show gauges etc but you cannot program parameters in the car as with Durametric or Piwis.

You can only read diagnostics codes and clear the check engine light but nothing more advanced when it comes to car settings.

It's a universal interface (OBD-II) on all cars after 1996. It depends on the car how much parameters you can extract.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:30 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts
Default absolutely...

its the only thing i use a pc for...
Originally Posted by DC911S
I have one called Blue Thunder that talks to my phone via bluetooth. I used it on my Cadillac V. So the other day I plugged it in to the OBD port on the 911, it was able to read the 911's ECU and link to my iPhone. I was able to see various data fields and other items. But it would not let me clear the Service reminder light and I'm guessing not clear an airbag light either. I did not have any fault codes listed so I don't know if it would let me clear any. But Durametric should come up with a app based system via Bluetooth so you don't have to lug the PC down to the car.

Quick Reply: alternatives to durametric