Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you Consider this 997.2 GTS w/PDK?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 12:09 PM
pro1200
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Would you Consider this 997.2 GTS w/PDK?

I bought my first 911 last spring-a '07 C2S and I'm very happy with it. The only thing I wish it had was Sport Chrono and a PDK transmission. I'm looking for a 997.2 and stumbled on this '11 Carrera GTS:

http://www.ultimomotorsports.com/inv...ab2a92bs721225

I drove over 400 miles to see it and planned on buying it. I turned it down because it was in terrible condition. Now a couple of weeks later it is still calling out to me because of the specs. What would a seasoned 911 owner find wrong with this vehicle? I get the feeling that CL wheels and Alcantara seating surfaces are not that desirable but I'm sure there are other concerns.

Not considering the price or seller, would you consider purchasing this?
Old 11-20-2016, 12:32 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts

Short answer no purely due to the accident history. That's a shame too as ABM is a pretty rare find on a GTS.

Beyond the bad Carfax, what was horrible about the condition? They did a pretty good job with those pictures.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:33 PM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I'll bite...judging by the pictures in the ad, the cars looks to be in excellent condition. What was different when you saw it in person?

I wish I found a GTS in this color when I bought mine. I have a GTS with PDK so obviously I like this car, love the blue and it's pretty well equipped. All GTS came std with alcantara and CL wheels.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:51 PM
92C2Targa#119
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like most of the options listed. What makes the condition look poor in person?
Old 11-20-2016, 01:13 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

accident damage and then they sold it. looks bad. but could have been minor scrape and bodywork. unless you find out then you dont know. But for a car this new, i wouldnt buy one except from a porsche dealer with cpo warrantee.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:06 PM
one-rennlist
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks a bit too detailed for me (look at the leather creases and overall shininess of the driver seat) but otherwise no optical issues. What did the "accident" actually consist of? Also a recent FAP report would be something I'd request if seriously interested.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:05 PM
pro1200
Instructor

Originally Posted by CAA
Short answer no purely due to the accident history. That's a shame too as ABM is a pretty rare find on a GTS.

Beyond the bad Carfax, what was horrible about the condition? They did a pretty good job with those pictures.
You're right, the pictures do make it look good. The "accident" was supposedly a bump at parking lot speeds and some paint was scraped off of the LR bumper.
They were quick to point this out and, like I implied, I didn't get a warm feeling from the salesman.

Here are the things I noticed:
1) the front tires are original (they had a 2010 date code on them)
2) the rears are newer but one side was replaced at least a second time at some point
3) the rock shields were faded and needed replacing
4) there were scratches through the clear and color coats in several places
4) there were water spots and scuffs in many places
5) on a test drive I noticed the traction control engaged with the slightest amount of throttle-I thought maybe because they lathered the sidewalls with that Armor All grade silicone to make the tires look new
6) the entire car looked like it was stored in a barn and never cleaned
7) there was only one key and the owners books in the glove box were for a Cayenne

I think they snagged it at an auction for about $60K and didn't put a dime into reconditioning. If it was better taken care of I think a Porsche dealer would have bought it and CPOed it.

BTW, what is ABM?
Old 11-20-2016, 03:06 PM
pro1200
Instructor

Originally Posted by one-rennlist
Looks a bit too detailed for me (look at the leather creases and overall shininess of the driver seat) but otherwise no optical issues. What did the "accident" actually consist of? Also a recent FAP report would be something I'd request if seriously interested.
Pardon my ignorance but what is a FAP report?
Old 11-20-2016, 03:17 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 797 Posts

ABM = Aqua Blue Metalic
Old 11-20-2016, 03:40 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

Too long of a negative list....the car is calling but don't answer, many other 997.2 PDK's out there.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:45 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by pro1200
You're right, the pictures do make it look good. The "accident" was supposedly a bump at parking lot speeds and some paint was scraped off of the LR bumper.
They were quick to point this out and, like I implied, I didn't get a warm feeling from the salesman.

Here are the things I noticed:
1) the front tires are original (they had a 2010 date code on them)
2) the rears are newer but one side was replaced at least a second time at some point
3) the rock shields were faded and needed replacing
4) there were scratches through the clear and color coats in several places
4) there were water spots and scuffs in many places
5) on a test drive I noticed the traction control engaged with the slightest amount of throttle-I thought maybe because they lathered the sidewalls with that Armor All grade silicone to make the tires look new
6) the entire car looked like it was stored in a barn and never cleaned
7) there was only one key and the owners books in the glove box were for a Cayenne

I think they snagged it at an auction for about $60K and didn't put a dime into reconditioning. If it was better taken care of I think a Porsche dealer would have bought it and CPOed it.

BTW, what is ABM?
Good eyeballing the car.

Regarding just one tire being replaced on an axle. This can arise if a tire gets a puncture. It happens. What is important to note is that Porsche guidelines call for tires to be replaced in pairs if the old tire is worn more than 30% from new. This "30%" is based on tread depth.

If the guideline is not followed the difference in tire diameters on the same axle could be the reason the traction control light is coming on. But of course an over application of tire sidewall goop might be another explanation. I've had this stuff applied to the point it puts black oily like spots on the car and makes me suspect there is a fluid leak but I've never had the traction control light come on.

KBB trade in values range from $54.9K to $61.8K. Given the tires, cosmetics, etc., I suspect this car went for something closer to the lower end of that range.

Given the reported condition, history, or lack of history, and the "accident", I can't recommend this car without considerable reservations. My advice is to listen to your "gut" and walk away.

There is always another car.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:54 PM
one-rennlist
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pro1200
Pardon my ignorance but what is a FAP report?
Sorry, DME report seems to be more common...
Old 11-20-2016, 04:01 PM
Seneca035
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

be patient - I wouldn't buy a car with accident history no matter how minor. It's a point of leverage not in your favor when trying to sell or trade in the future.

This GTS looks to be a far better option for the same price point despite the mileage and is CPO: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...1498/overview/

Old 11-20-2016, 04:34 PM
pro1200
Instructor

Originally Posted by Seneca035
be patient - I wouldn't buy a car with accident history no matter how minor. It's a point of leverage not in your favor when trying to sell or trade in the future.

This GTS looks to be a far better option for the same price point despite the mileage and is CPO:
I actually looked at this one and the mileage doesn't concern me but I would have to think long and hard about the color. I appreciate the great advice from everybody. Being a new 911 enthusiast I don't know how active the market is. I picked my '07 just because it was Midnight Blue/Sea Blue in color and it had the automatic transmission. I agree that it is best to follow one's gut and that is why I walked away but blue cars are hard to find.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:57 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

I love the color on that car. They are asking a crazy high price considering it's been in an accident.

For 50-55k I would buy it.

Taking the price aside completely I might potentially buy it but it depends on how. If I were paying cash and knew for a fact that I would not be selling it then perhaps. If I were buying it for the sole purpose of my own enjoyment and never planning to sell it under any circumstance then yes I might buy it after it had been gone over by a body shop and at a steeply discounted price. Nothing that looks like $6x,xxx

Quick Reply: Would you Consider this 997.2 GTS w/PDK?