Sponsored by:

rear wing not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 11:12 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by dgetz993
Thanks for the diagram, doing a fixed wing conversion and nice to identify the circuits I am unplugging. Thank you. Btw - Where did you get such a nice diagram?
That one a gentleman on Renntech was able to provide me with at the time I was working on mine. Since then I've run across a PDF with the wiring diagram for 2006 Carreras, some of which is also applicable to 997.2s but not completely of course. I'll PM you with info.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:08 PM
Schnell 911
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcporsche911
I have a situation with the rear wing not working. I dose not move when pressing the button and when I reach 75 mph.

I little background on how this situation started. I brought this car recently. Is a 2006 c2 997. When I purchased the car it had a fixed wing installed but the owner had the original wing. So I switched the car to its original state. When the original wing was installed it was inoperable, it didn't move when pressing the dash button. The following things have been checked:

1. We feed 12 volts to the wing on the wire harness and it moves up and down. So it is not
the motor.

2. The fuse was checked and was good. To my understanding there is only one fuse . Am I correct?

3. The spoiler button was switched with another and did not work either. No light appears whe pressing the button.

4. The computer was coded to indicate that the rear wing was installed.

I do not receive any errors regarding the wing but I do have an error message "check raised brake light" and my third brake light is not working. It might be related but I don't know.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
I am doing the just the opposite of your effort. I am installing a Techart III fixed wing. Here is what I know during the disassembly of the retractable spoiler and my review of the circuit diagram I looked at last night. The spoiler position feedback comes from the switch that is mounted below the Up/Down cable spoiler actuator. The switch has double pole, double throw contacts or two form C contacts the provide switch closure back to the ECU to indicate if the spoiler is UP or Down. It is that simple. The third set of contacts within the same switch is to allow the third brake light to come on when the spoiler is Up.

A couple of issues might have happened during the reinstallation;

1. Most probable, the two switches may have been installed in reverse.
2. One of the switches is stuck in the IN position. (very small micro switch could be dirty and needs to be cleaned)
3. When the switch was installed in the spoiler actuator, the actuator gearing was not in the correct position.

Just my two cents...

Old 04-16-2017, 01:06 PM
Schnell 911
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Just completed the install of the fixed wing and as you can see in the photo above I did not remove the factory wiring harness and wiring. I plugged in fan and engine bay lamp and left the spoiler actuator wiring unplugged and raised brake light. I turned on the ignition and got the "spoiler control system fault" as expected. Since the spoiler actuator switch provides the feedback, I wrapped tape around the UP/DOWN travel switch putting it in the closed position. Restarted the car and the I DO NOT have the "spoiler control system fault" anymore. Took the car out on the back road, drove it 75mph plus for a brief period and NO system faults. When I did put the car in reverse leaving garage, I did get a message indicating "Checked raised brake light". Makes sense because there was not place to reinstall 13.5V, 4.5W LED brake light on Techart III wing and it is disconnected. I will install a resistive component here.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:12 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dgetz993
Just completed the install of the fixed wing and as you can see in the photo above I did not remove the factory wiring harness and wiring. I plugged in fan and engine bay lamp and left the spoiler actuator wiring unplugged and raised brake light. I turned on the ignition and got the "spoiler control system fault" as expected. Since the spoiler actuator switch provides the feedback, I wrapped tape around the UP/DOWN travel switch putting it in the closed position. Restarted the car and the I DO NOT have the "spoiler control system fault" anymore. Took the car out on the back road, drove it 75mph plus for a brief period and NO system faults. When I did put the car in reverse leaving garage, I did get a message indicating "Checked raised brake light". Makes sense because there was not place to reinstall 13.5V, 4.5W LED brake light on Techart III wing and it is disconnected. I will install a resistive component here.
When I put on a fixed spoiler I thought I could use the existing harness and code out the warnings. That did not work. I got the correct wiring harness ($130ish) and everything worked as normal.

I recall a couple threads relating to wiring cracking due to heat and time. Specifically the wiring harness that is attached to the engine bonnet. (The exact one I had to swap out).
Old 05-23-2020, 01:43 AM
golfguy11800
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has this been solved? I am having the same problem on my 08 C2S Cab. Spoiler button non-responsive in car and does not light up. When I purchased car, spoiler was stuck in the up position. I pulled the spoiler motor out of car and applied 12V, motor works. Checked all fuses etc and nothing.

Would be great if we could solve this.

Old 09-26-2021, 03:53 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

Sorry, wrong thread!

Last edited by StormRune; 09-26-2021 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-13-2022, 06:00 PM
SK-Pete
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Convertible Fix for spoiler

Just FYI for the forum. My 1999 (996) Cabriolet had the spoiler stuck problem. After replacing the battery I had the "spoiler alert" warning light on, but it was in the down position. I manually raised it, but then it would not manually go down. I was going to hit the interstate and go 76mph, but I first when to the store and upon coming out I decided to lower the top. That made the spoiler go down. Something to try if you have a convertible. Good luck.

Quick Reply: rear wing not working