Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATE Brake Pads and Brembo Rotors Review (daily driving)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 04:05 PM
Crester
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts
Default ATE Brake Pads and Brembo Rotors Review (daily driving)

I wanted to provide some feed back on brake parts because when I was looking to purchase recently I didn't see any reviews. I recently replaced my front brake pads and rotors. I ended up trying ATE front brake pads. http://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Inf...04&SVSVSI=4745

I didn't specifically choose ATE brake pads. The vendor just supplied Porsche pads or "OEM equivalents". OEM equivalent would just be whatever alternative brand they had at the time and when I was purchasing that happened to be ATE. The cost much less than the Porsche branded pads. In daily driving... both relaxed and spirited... the ATE pads seem to be good enough. The only thing I noticed is that they seem to lack some initial bite feeling in comparison to the Porsche branded pads. Once they are engaged they stop fine enough but that initial bite seems to be less. To be honest I miss that bite when driving hard but otherwise these pads are good enough especially considering the huge costs difference.

For my front rotors I got Brembo cross drilled rotors. http://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Inf...NT&SVSVSI=4745
These are absolutely beautiful. Not only are they coated but they painted the hubs and the edges of the rotors in pearl grey. It really helps with the appearance factor. Function wise I have no complaints currently.

I haven't put my front brakes to the test on the track yet. But for spirited drives on the street they feel fine... lack of initial bite aside.

I changed my rear brakes a couple months earlier and used Textar pads. I compared these pads to my Porsche pads and they had the exact same number markings on them. The only difference was that the Porsche pads had Porsche marked on them. So going forward I'm going to save myself some money and buy Textar pads.

Hope this helps others as when I was looking for comments on these brands I couldn't find any write-ups.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:58 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,369 Likes on 793 Posts

are the holes cast or drilled after the fact.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:26 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Why do the ATE pads have the "Mickey Mouse" ears while the Textar, Stop Tech and some others do not?

The Porsche pads have the Mickey Mouse ears. I think they are counter weights.

FWIW, PFC 08 pads also don't have the "ears".
Old 11-07-2016, 06:57 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,413 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
Why do the ATE pads have the "Mickey Mouse" ears while the Textar, Stop Tech and some others do not?

The Porsche pads have the Mickey Mouse ears. I think they are counter weights.

FWIW, PFC 08 pads also don't have the "ears".
I believe those weights are anti-squeal technologies. Back when I did my brakes, the Textar picture on the Pelican site did not have them so I didn't buy them, then later the pic did (would have). I have no problem buying non-Porsche labeled, OEM pads if, at least, they look the exact same.

For my wife's Lexus, I purchased ceramic, Autozone pads instead of the metalic ones and I am way happier with these than the originals. I have two Porsche friends that moved to carbon pads on the 911s and they too are happy. Track rats have all kinds of hard-core requirements, but for street driving, I would not sweat this too much. IMHO

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 11-07-2016 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:50 PM
gassian
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

also looking for some feedback on the Raybestos ST43 with GiroDisc.
Trying to get hold off Clark at Apex to put my order in

Quick Reply: ATE Brake Pads and Brembo Rotors Review (daily driving)