Sponsored by:

RMS Seeping possibly

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 11:06 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RMS Seeping possibly

Well just turned 90,000 miles and have a very slight oil drip coming from the RMS area under the engine. A few drops on the garage floor. Monitoring the oil levels still within tolerance.

On that note I took the car out on a 400 mile drive along a highway that was virtually empty - had the car well into autobahn speeds most of the drive. Fantastic performance, what a machine. Sometimes I forget how good this car is with my typical drive to work or cruise along the beach. I've been daily driving this car for over 7 years and it still amazes me.

About the RMS i've read some have replaced theirs several times. I've never had to as of yet.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:18 AM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 245 Posts

If you still have you original clutch I would go for it and get the RMS done and the clutch as well.

just my personal opinion on this I would rather get ahead of the issue than letting it get worst. That is just my take on it.

My car had a small leak Porsche told me that it is not an issue and I could leave it as is and just monitor. I decided to get it done and at the same time have the seal from the IMS removed. I however did this when I had 36k+ miles on it.

Also on a side not do tell me about the highway that is practically empty. I would love to drive that if it is not to far from my area
I have the need for speed
Old 11-03-2016, 06:37 AM
Para82
Race Car

I had the clutch done at 53,000 miles in 2012 (while doing the IMS ceramic upgrade) probably should have had the seal done at that time.

Wonder how much labor involved in just the RMS

I'll PM you
Old 11-03-2016, 01:11 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
I had the clutch done at 53,000 miles in 2012 (while doing the IMS ceramic upgrade) probably should have had the seal done at that time.

I'll PM you
That's strange you have RMS seepage on your daily driver. It normally seeps when the seals dry up due to months of inactivity. My 997 was parked for several months before I purchased it. RMS was replaced under CPO warranty, price IIRC was $1,500.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:29 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by Ynot
That's strange you have RMS seepage on your daily driver. It normally seeps when the seals dry up due to months of inactivity. My 997 was parked for several months before I purchased it. RMS was replaced under CPO warranty, price IIRC was $1,500.
Interesting - this car is a 2005 997S which I purchased in 2009 with only 10,038 miles...chances are it's been seeping most it's life then.

The few drops on the floor started upon my return from a very spirited 400 mile run this week - which could be compared to a typical track day considering the speeds reached (minus the full threshold braking).
Old 11-03-2016, 04:55 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

The labor should be just a bit more than replacing the clutch as you need to remove the flywheel to get to the RMS.

I'll PM you
Old 11-03-2016, 05:34 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting - this car is a 2005 997S which I purchased in 2009 with only 10,038 miles...chances are it's been seeping most it's life then.

The few drops on the floor started upon my return from a very spirited 400 mile run this week - which could be compared to a typical track day considering the speeds reached (minus the full threshold braking).
yeah, you shouldn't see anything on the floor, that means it's been seeping for a long time. Did you get a PPI before your purchased? Any mechanic would have noticed this during inspection.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:50 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Well just turned 90,000 miles and have a very slight oil drip coming from the RMS area under the engine. A few drops on the garage floor. Monitoring the oil levels still within tolerance.

On that note I took the car out on a 400 mile drive along a highway that was virtually empty - had the car well into autobahn speeds most of the drive. Fantastic performance, what a machine. Sometimes I forget how good this car is with my typical drive to work or cruise along the beach. I've been daily driving this car for over 7 years and it still amazes me.

About the RMS i've read some have replaced theirs several times. I've never had to as of yet.
Up to you of course, but you could just live with it. Way back in 2002 when my new Boxster's RMS showed leak sign I was about to take off on an extended vacation/road trip. But I was concerned about the leak and asked the Porsche SM about it. He said the seal/car would be fine. He had never seen one turn gushy.

So I left on what proved to be nearly an 8K mile road trip that had me driving the Boxster in some pretty high ambient temperature at times. I don't think the RMS ever spotted the ground all the time I was on the road.

When I got back I had the RMS replaced -- under warranty -- and it has been oil tight ever since. That was around 275K miles ago.

My 996 Turbo RMS developed a leak at over the 100K mile mark. I had the seal replaced. The clutch was just fine, had no measurable wear. I think the new RMS cost me around $1700. 'course, the transmission had to come out
along with the flywheel. The Turbo clutch hardware is a bit "fiddly" (senior Porsche's description) to get back together and the tech recommended and I went along with his recommendation to replace some needle bearings and other hardware associated with the clutch's linkage along with new metal o-rings that seal the turbo to the exhaust manifold.

Your 997 obviously won't need the turbo sealing rings but could possibly require some hardware be replaced just to be safe.

Anyhow, the Turbo has almost 150K miles on it and the RMS is still oil tight.

There is at least one "trick" and that is to when installing the new RMS to avoid installing exactly where the old RMS was installed. The old RMS can wear a shallow groove in the crankshaft journal and if the new seal is installed in the same location the new seal can leak. 'course, a Porsche tech should know this and lots more too.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:23 PM
Para82
Race Car

Did I read that right - 275k miles on your original engine Macster? That's awesome.

I'm going to have my Indy look at it, probably good idea to get his eyes on the car anyway as it's been over a year since in a good shop.

Didn't do a PPI, bought the car sight unseen, wired the cash from overseas to someone I never met - everything you don't do. It was the exact 911 I wanted and after several conversations with the owner I followed my gut - the car was delivered in mint condition and 7 years later one of the best decisions I ever made. Risky but got lucky.

Great info guys, i'm going to have my Indy look at it, probably good idea to get his eyes on the car anyway as i'm racking up the miles. Would love to get Macster like mileage out of my car.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:57 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,190 Likes on 3,947 Posts

Got a pic of the leak or stain on the bottom of the motor?
Old 11-03-2016, 09:15 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by Petza914
Got a pic of the leak or stain on the bottom of the motor?

I'll try to grab one in the morning during daylight - haven't had it on a lift yet but from what I can see looks a lot like this previously reported RMS leak photo - mine appears to be coming from the area annotated in red also - https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...eaks-herex.jpg

After a night of sitting it leaves a few quarter size drops on the floor.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:23 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

After a night of sitting it leaves a few quarter size drops on the floor.
thats not a seep
Old 11-04-2016, 10:21 AM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
thats not a seep
I'm monitoring the oil levels about every 8 hours - so far not affected but I will likely be addressing this shortly regardless. Going in the shop for a checkup - with the mileage probably a good idea anyway.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:51 AM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That seems a lot of oil (a few quarter size drops overnight) for an RMS leak. Admittedly in my limited experience with leaks: RMS, IMS seal, PS reservoir and oil fill tube.

Check your oil fill tube for cracks. With the engine running, move the tube around a little and see if the engine changes sound. That's at least 1 way to check and how I realized mine was cracked and spitting oil.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:56 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,424 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
thats not a seep
+1

Take the car into a shop and put it up on a rack.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: RMS Seeping possibly