Sponsored by:

Need some advice I wish I didn't need

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 05:41 PM
911Finally
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some advice I wish I didn't need

Anyway, got my first ding the other day. It's right above the rear wheel. My own doing. I was cleaning in the garage and knocked over the metal floor jack handle. Bam. Not just a paint scratch put a ping. If it was just the paint I'd be OK. The dimple it left, although small looks the size of a manhole cover to the guy who did it. It looks much worse in these pics. I have no idea how much this would cost to take out, or if it even is a simple fix. I've read somewhere little dings can be taken out with dry ice by someone who knows what they're doing but don't know if this type can be done. have no idea if this repair would cost $300 or $1500. Do I get this taken care of or would this be like trying to catch a falling knife, meaning will I be chasing down these little bothersome things forever? If it's a cheap fix I would go ahead with it. Don't even need anything more than the nail polish type touch up pain, but the dent, that's what I can't live with. Do I go crazy trying to stay ahead of this stuff or lick my wounds and just join the club. I'm in NJ and nothing is cheap to fix but I would try if I knew what I was getting into.
Attached Images   
Old 11-02-2016, 05:56 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I let my little dings pile up and then every few years get a ding doctor over to fix them all at once. And I sometimes get the paint corrected at the same time.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:56 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I had great luck using one of those franchised mobile paintless dent-repair services on a bunch of dings on our old Mercedes. Honestly couldn't tell where they had been. I got a dent in the rocker panel on my 997 (I think someone at a shop I took it to for an oil change swung the lift arm into it) and the dent guy was honest and said he couldn't get behind it to do a decent job. So I'd give that a try. I'd use one of the national franchises, not some independent fly-by-night though.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:58 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

It happens, don't sweat it. Research PDR (paintless dent repair). The PDR people can work magic and take out dents like this without any paint work. You won't even know it was there.

The good news is the dent is in an easy spot to fix, and PDR is cheap (less than $150 a panel). The bad news maybe with yours is it looks like there is a crease. That will be hard to get out, hard but not impossible. So find a recommended PDR shop in your area and start with them for a quote. They will tell you if they can fix it or if it needs more serious body work.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:21 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts

I got this one. You need a change in attitude. This is what makes your car unique. I had this happen from a compressor on my 996. It took a year but I finally convinced myself it made my car unique.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:31 PM
911Finally
Instructor

Originally Posted by dgjks6
I got this one. You need a change in attitude. This is what makes your car unique. I had this happen from a compressor on my 996. It took a year but I finally convinced myself it made my car unique.
Hell no, it's unique enough. Bought it in June with 4200 miles on it. Looks like the day it came out of the showroom. I haven't slept well since Saturday.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:34 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

You're an idiot. Welcome to the club.
I have done the same thing.
Fix it when you can. Maybe the first, but not the last.
This too will pass.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:41 PM
911Finally
Instructor

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
You're an idiot. Welcome to the club.
I have done the same thing.
Fix it when you can. Maybe the first, but not the last.
This too will pass.
An IDIOT!!!! Do you know me? have we met? At least it was with a floor jack handle. Could have been worse like if it was a pair of hedge clippers or something I shouldn't even have.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:42 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

I had a really bad long crease on my M3 that a paintless dent guy spent some extra time getting out. Some of the good ones work magic. "extra time"=more money, but usually these guys get like $50-100 for a complete panel. I think paid him $150-200, which I was glad to do, since he did such a great job. I got a really small one on the rear of my 911, near the wheel well. The crease is in the body line. They couldn't get it all the way out, but it is so small, I am the only one to see it, and I have to look hard.

Don't panic until you talk to one of these guys.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:45 PM
911Finally
Instructor

Originally Posted by rodH
I had a really bad long crease on my M3 that a paintless dent guy spent some extra time getting out. Some of the good ones work magic. "extra time"=more money, but usually these guys get like $50-100 for a complete panel. I think paid him $150-200, which I was glad to do, since he did such a great job. I got a really small one on the rear of my 911, near the wheel well. The crease is in the body line. They couldn't get it all the way out, but it is so small, I am the only one to see it, and I have to look hard.

Don't panic until you talk to one of these guys.
Thanks. I'm looking up guys now. I found one in NJ called Tri State Dent removal. They specialize in paintless dent removal. I would gladly pay $200 to get rid of that thing.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:46 PM
Surfer2001
Racer

Default Nice Job

I keep a PaintLess Ding repair guy on retainer. Your dig will be easily fixed for $50 - $75 bucks. Really that is a 10 minute job for a professional.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:45 PM
NJshoreCane
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clean up this one to make yourself feel better.
Then from here, do what rbennett suggests.
My friend has a few collector cars. He gets others together with ding issues every year or so to make it worth the dingmaster's while.
I'm in next time.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:54 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 102 Posts

Theres a good guy who i used in jersey- well known in NNJR PCA. Are you a member?
Old 11-02-2016, 07:54 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

i think youll need paint on that
Old 11-02-2016, 08:05 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

That aint no easy fix let me tell you. Good thing the paint ain't chipped. Access to the underside of the skin may be troublesome, but it should come out if he's good

Quick Reply: Need some advice I wish I didn't need