Sponsored by:

Need some advice I wish I didn't need

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 08:42 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Finally
Thanks. I'm looking up guys now. I found one in NJ called Tri State Dent removal. They specialize in paintless dent removal. I would gladly pay $200 to get rid of that thing.
Please take lots of photos and share. I've got a couple on my Cayenne that I would eventually like to have taken care of but haven't had the time to look into it.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:54 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Buddy, don't fret. As others have mentioned this is a simple and inexpensive fix for a PDR (Paintless Dent Repair) guy.

Find a good one near you, or someone on here might know one in your locale.

Will be right as rain and as good as new as soon as you ring him up and have him out there
Old 11-02-2016, 10:20 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfer2001
I keep a PaintLess Ding repair guy on retainer. Your dig will be easily fixed for $50 - $75 bucks. Really that is a 10 minute job for a professional.
You wrote my exact response before I had a chance. OP, a lot of these PDR guys are mobile and will pull that out in the comfort of your own garage / driveway. I wouldn't sweat it.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:46 PM
secondshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the exact same thing. i was pulling my car cover off the shelf and my plug kit fell and it was sloooow motion and whap. Little dent. But, while away, i researched the options and found some amazing reviews of this Paintless Dent Repair guy. Well, let me tell you it is like magic! Don't know about scratch and dents because mine was no scratch, but you would never know. Perfect.

Good luck and don't feel bad...it happens. We love em though and i stomped around for about an hour cursing myself. Now, its all good!
Old 11-03-2016, 03:43 AM
911Finally
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 177mph
Theres a good guy who i used in jersey- well known in NNJR PCA. Are you a member?
Yes I am. Who might that be?
Old 11-03-2016, 10:39 AM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 134 Posts

Just go to any high end auto dealer and ask who they use. They will know who to trust since they won't use anyone who does marginal work. Much better than finding one out of the phone book. I had 3 dents taken out of my 997.2 for $200 and you wouldn't be able to tell even if I circled the spots for you.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:37 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

I hate to tell you this but that rear fender is actually double walled from the wheel well all the way to the rear window. So you can't ping it out from the underside without cutting through the first, inner wall. If the paint is scratched it will have to be sanded clear coated and painted. It will cost more depending on if they can blend it or have to do the whole quarter panel. And then they have to remove the window seals and pop all those rivets which can fall down into the panel and be trapped. I could go on but just be prepared for a doozy here if you want it done properly based on what I'm seeing.

Might be easier just to body fill, sand and paint but not better.

Let us know how it goes. Can you post a better picture that shows where the dent is on the rear fender?
Old 11-03-2016, 01:06 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

We have a lot of hail here and the dent wizard shops gets plenty of work. I've seen some of their work and it looks brand new after they fix it. I assume you can just take that to any local dent repair shops.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:16 PM
Double_J
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with most others thus far. Check into PDR and have them give it a look. Provided they can access the ding from the underside, many of them can work magic for a very reasonable price.

If you can fix the ding, I wouldn't necessarily be too concerned about the paint. The Italians have a concept that imperfections can be perfect - they add character and uniqueness and make things interesting.

Unless you planned on maintaining a concourse level car, learn to love the imperfection (though I admit I would also need to get that ding fixed asap). If nothing else, it frees you up to really enjoy the car instead of treating it like a sculpture.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:31 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Even double-walled panels sometimes have lightening cuts, access holes or gaps around their perimeter. I'd take this to a reputable PDR guy and let him do his work. Some of them can do magic. Even if they can't get to the back side, they can also glue a tool to the outside, work it out and then remove the glue and you'll never know it was there.

I wouldn't take it to just anybody. Call the local Porsche or other high-end dealer and get a few references first.

Don't beat yourself up. I've put dings & scratches in my cars over the years. It happens. A car that's perfect just means you don't drive it enough.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:47 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Iceter
Even double-walled panels sometimes have lightening cuts, access holes or gaps around their perimeter. I'd take this to a reputable PDR guy and let him do his work. Some of them can do magic. Even if they can't get to the back side, they can also glue a tool to the outside, work it out and then remove the glue and you'll never know it was there.
997s do not have the access holes under the fender liner unfortunately. this is true it can be accessed from the outside though. this looks pretty deep so they might have to weld and pull instead of just the glue/epoxy and pull. either way, they can get to this from the outside and hammer tap it smooth. point being, it's fixable. don't dump your 997 in a lake.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:18 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

They don't need to reach an arm into the cavity behind the dent. It is rare for there to be any cavity in a car that is completely sealed off. I know that the lower rockers on our cars are nearly impossible for a PDR guy to get inside, but the vast expanse of the rear fender? I thnk it's unlikely that it's welded up around its entire perimeter.

Here is a pic of a coupe's rear fender. Keep in mind this has been cut off or a car and the spot welds drilled so it's not as open back there as the pic suggests. But, it appears that there is an access hole almost directly under the OP's dent, where the rear fascia mounts.

Here is another angle showing another pass-through behind the tail-light. I assume for the grommet where the tail light harness goes through.

Might be helpful, might not. The PDR guy might not need to use either or might not have access to them with the car intact. The point being, they can often get in where many people don't even know there is access.

If nwGTS is a bodyman with first-hand knowledge of a 997 rear fender, then I defer to his experience.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:28 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Finally
An IDIOT!!!! Do you know me? have we met? At least it was with a floor jack handle. Could have been worse like if it was a pair of hedge clippers or something I shouldn't even have.
I was grouping myself in with you. I have done the same thing. Including the jack handle into the side of the car. The handle is now covered in foam. Easy to apply, once the tears have dried.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:11 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Iceter
But, it appears that there is an access hole almost directly under the OP's dent, where the rear fascia mounts.

Here is another angle showing another pass-through behind the tail-light. I assume for the grommet where the tail light harness goes through.

If nwGTS is a bodyman with first-hand knowledge of a 997 rear fender, then I defer to his experience.
Definitely not a bodyman, but I've taken apart the rear fender and bumper/bumper cover of another 997.2 and I've done paint and detail work before.

Correct that pass-through behind the tail-light is for the light harness grommet.

The wheel housing and rear fender are actually two different parts that are welded together to form the double wall right at the wheel well opening where they join. Pass throughs on most cars are much larger but there are a couple small holes on the 997. That rear access hole should have a plug in it from what I remember but it may have been removed for this image. A PDR may be able to get a pry bar in there to push the dent out. You are right some of those guys are magicians. Amazing what they can do.

I still think based on the pics that you've cracked the clear coat at least but i'd have to see it so wont speculate further than I have already.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:17 PM
911Finally
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are a couple other pics that show more clearly the location and I think the condition. I found one place fairly local but was hoping a local NNJ Rennlister would guide me to "The Guy". My local Porsche dealer was not helpfull although he said they could do it in house at their body shop but it would involve a repaint. All this over the phone without seeing anything.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Need some advice I wish I didn't need