Sponsored by:

997.2 PCM 3.0 iPod option missing

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 09:35 AM
JayRace
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oz390gta
I can confirm that Australian delivered 997.2's all had PCM 3.0 with the Universal Audio Interface installed as standard and did not have a 870 option on the build sheet. It was part of the Australian Built specification.

I have used the same cable and iPod on a MY09 997.2 and the iPod option appeared in Source list.
I am now wondering if the actual Universal Audio Interface needs to be programmed into the PCM, that is to tell the PCM that it is there, and for some reason mine has forgotten about it. I guess it is time to book it into a dealer and get them to have a look at it.
I agree that this sounds like a programming issue. I actually had the same exact scenario when I was programming in an aftermarket Satellite radio module. At first it removed programming for the universal audio option and when that happened it behaved exactly like you describe.
This can be quickly resolved at the Porsche dealer.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:49 AM
love2drive
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default not obvious solution

Originally Posted by oz390gta
I don't get the iPod option as a source even though the PCM says "iPod Ready" and a can play music if I select AUX.
put CD in, press option, enable iPod and aux, presto
The following users liked this post:
Tj40 (02-11-2024)
Old 01-08-2023, 02:04 PM
AJ_516
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by love2drive
put CD in, press option, enable iPod and aux, presto

Hi all,

I’ve done a bunch of reading on this topic but haven’t heard of anyone having exactly the same issue as me.

I’m having a problem getting my 997.2 to show either of the iPod, aux options through the DISC option.

When I got the car, it had a DVD in the head unit which I removed and have a CD inserted, but the only option under disc is “dvd audio format”. My head unit seems to be stuck with this, even though the CS plays.

I tried plugging in the AUX cord with a disc inserted with no luck. I also have a Bovee 1000 I’ve tried using with no luck. Though momentarily after connecting the Bovee, the head unit shows “iPod ready” on the bottom but then goes away.

any help is appreciated

Old 01-10-2023, 01:42 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 181 Posts

Is bovee getting a good connection/blue light staying on and showing BT connected on your phone? Perhaps try another device like a real iPod or your phone on a 30 -pin adapter to minimize the variables at play. I’ve got same and it works fine, though also occasionally lose the iPod option
Old 01-10-2023, 11:20 AM
AJ_516
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jayzbird
Is bovee getting a good connection/blue light staying on and showing BT connected on your phone? Perhaps try another device like a real iPod or your phone on a 30 -pin adapter to minimize the variables at play. I’ve got same and it works fine, though also occasionally lose the iPod option
Yes, the blue light is staying on. I think i have also tried plugging in my phone directly with a 30 pin adaptor, but i will try that again.

The fact that the options for AUX and USB do not even come up on my display makes me think there is a different problem as i haven't seen anyone else have that problem.
Old 05-08-2023, 03:31 PM
psm010
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this same exact issue. Its maddening. Did you ever find a fix? I checked the window sticker via Porsche and know that i have the universal + bose + bluetooth options, none of which work. I can only get that DVD audio format option to appear
Old 05-08-2023, 03:38 PM
Nate R
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

I have a US car that did not have the aux input or cable. I purchased it off of Suncoast and had a dealer install. It was pretty pricey all said and done ($800 I think?) but the only way I could stream Bluetooth (with a Bovee until I added the CarPlay chip). I now only use the CarPlay but I do remember the iPod connection being a little fickle.

It is my understanding that if you have the aux input and the cable the car should be gtg. The iPod option needs to be programmed in, which I am thinking your car should have. This should be a very quick fix for a dealer if it somehow got messed up.
Old 05-09-2023, 12:22 AM
AJ_516
Rennlist Member

I finally resolved my specific issue a week ago but it wasn’t straight forward. I had to bring my car to a reputable Indy to get some work done and they have a PIWIS so I figured I’d ask them to check for anything that might cause my source list from not showing Aux, iPod, Satellite etc.

When the shop plugged my car in they found some faults in the gateway module. There wasn’t necessarily an indication that these faults were causing my problem, but they decided to clear them anyway. When they tried to clear the faults, the gateway module “bricked” (froze) which put my car in some sort of saftey mode. Rear spoiler up, radiator fans constantly on and I also lost all functionality of my cluster and signals. All of these components communicate through the gateway from what I understand.

the Indy dealt directly with a local Porsche service department who explained its not unheard of for these gateway modules to have issues and it would need to be replaced. Cost of a new module plus install/coding was around $900. There was also no guarantee that this was going to fix my original issue with the PCM but I had no choice anyway.

The module took 2 weeks to arrive and get coded. Luckily once they replaced the module, my PCM was finally showing all sources, AUX, iPod, satellite radio and everything worked. There isn’t a definite answer here, but my guess is that the module was having issues that was causing the PCM not to function correctly and I found out the long way.
Old 05-30-2023, 11:47 AM
vnelsontx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate R
I have a US car that did not have the aux input or cable. I purchased it off of Suncoast and had a dealer install. It was pretty pricey all said and done ($800 I think?) but the only way I could stream Bluetooth (with a Bovee until I added the CarPlay chip). I now only use the CarPlay but I do remember the iPod connection being a little fickle.

It is my understanding that if you have the aux input and the cable the car should be gtg. The iPod option needs to be programmed in, which I am thinking your car should have. This should be a very quick fix for a dealer if it somehow got messed up.
Nate R - that iPod Y Cable is nearly impossible to find now (even Suncoast says no more stock) do you still have it and willing to sell it?

PM if interested
Old 05-30-2023, 01:20 PM
festina-lente
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by vnelsontx
Nate R - that iPod Y Cable is nearly impossible to find now (even Suncoast says no more stock) do you still have it and willing to sell it?

PM if interested
Try contacting Becker. Maybe they can put one together.
https://www.beckerautosound.com/porsche
The following users liked this post:
vnelsontx (05-30-2023)
Old 02-10-2024, 03:01 PM
Duke20Duke
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM 3.0 iPod cable

Hi all,

First day on the platform.
I am trying to get hold of one of these cable. Anyone has one or know where I get pick it up?
Your help will be highly appreciated.

regards
Duke

Quick Reply: 997.2 PCM 3.0 iPod option missing