Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone here run Trofeo R tires on 997?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 09:00 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts
Default anyone here run Trofeo R tires on 997?

I wouldn't mind a little more grip for the street and a few times a year for the track. I NEVER drive my car in the rain and I only drive is 2-3 days a week, or about 5k miles a year.

Just wondering what some thoughts are on these tires.

TIA
Old 10-24-2016, 09:52 PM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 27 Posts

My understanding is that the Trofeos are quick fuse track tires and I don't think they'll last more than a few times at the track. Seems like overkill for the road and expensive for the track. What are you running now?
Old 10-25-2016, 01:19 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by M3 Defector
My understanding is that the Trofeos are quick fuse track tires and I don't think they'll last more than a few times at the track. Seems like overkill for the road and expensive for the track. What are you running now?
Just got PSS from PS2, but was thinking of going more aggressive next time. Maybe PSCup2 might be a better alternative.

Btw, I am an M3 defector as well 👍
Old 10-25-2016, 11:16 AM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Tires intended for track use don't produce maximum grip until you get them really hot, from 180 to 200 deg F, as you would in hard track driving. I seriously doubt you can get them hot enough on the street for this to happen. If you aren't seeing the surface of your tires develop little blisters in hard street driving, you're not driving that hard.

I would suggest you try a tire like the AD08R, RE71R, or the like. These are really tires for the street, but have enough grip to be quite decent on the track.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:50 PM
swoardrider
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake951
Tires intended for track use don't produce maximum grip until you get them really hot, from 180 to 200 deg F, as you would in hard track driving. I seriously doubt you can get them hot enough on the street for this to happen. If you aren't seeing the surface of your tires develop little blisters in hard street driving, you're not driving that hard.

I would suggest you try a tire like the AD08R, RE71R, or the like. These are really tires for the street, but have enough grip to be quite decent on the track.
This ^. Plus R compounds heat cycle out quickly. Like maybe less than a hundred times vs. a street tire compound which may take years to heat cycle out. And they are typically noisy, usually ride rougher, and puncture easily. Just driving 45 minutes to the track from my house on R compounds annoys the sh*t outta me.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:29 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

Unless your trofeos are for dedicated track duty i say skip them. Go MPSC2 if you want street tires or the new bridgestone RE71R. Nitto NT01 are great economical choice for R compound.

Quick Reply: anyone here run Trofeo R tires on 997?