Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Accidently used "Plastic Adhesion Promoter" instead of clearcoat...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016 | 02:59 PM
patriot993
Pro

Default HELP! Accidently used "Plastic Adhesion Promoter" instead of clearcoat...

OK, first off, full disclosure...I am painting the fender of my son's Lexus...so technically this isn't a Porsche question but the RL forum seems super knowledgeable so thought I would post here...hopefully I don't get overly flamed.

Fixing up my son's 1997 Lexus ES300 to sell to my nephew. Fender needed a bit of repair and I had finished painting it with base coat. Meant to apply the first coat of clear coat but after applying noticed that I had grabbed a can of "Plastic Adhesion Promoter" (basically a primer that helps paint stick to plastic parts like bumpers). I had forgotten I had purchased a can of this and as an excuse I would say that the can top and the label color are very close to the clear coat label...but really is a haste makes waste situation.

Any ideas on what to do? I am thinking I could either DA it with rubbing compound or wet sand it and then start over. Would prefer to not have to put on too many coats of color base coat, that is why was thinking of just using rubbing compound.

thanks

EDIT: DA'd it with orange hexlogic pad and 3M rubbing compound; cleaned with rubbing alcohol and top coated it with base color - think it will turn out OK

Last edited by patriot993; 10-29-2016 at 04:00 PM. Reason: added update to what I did
Old 10-29-2016 | 04:12 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

I would wet sand all color off completely and start over

Quick Reply: HELP! Accidently used "Plastic Adhesion Promoter" instead of clearcoat...