Sponsored by:

Cover for my 997.2?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 11:14 PM
TGRichards
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Cover for my 997.2?

First Porsche. First Post. Could use your help!

No garage, unfortunately, out in the FL sun and rain for my 2009 997.2. I want to purchase a good cover for it, and would appreciate anyone's experience and recommendation?

Thanks!

Old 10-12-2016, 11:35 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

http://www.covercraft.com/

Info overload to make your decision.

My Porsche lives outside as well. I got a Block It Evolution.

T
Old 10-13-2016, 02:46 AM
MaximumA
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just got the OEM one as I was in a rush, and it is pretty nice. I'm sure that I could have done better... but needs must.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:34 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a garage, but the car sits out in the FL sun all day at my office, and the clearcoat on the roof is shot. The reason I never got a cover is if it rains, I can't put a wet cover in my office when I go home. If you don't have a garage what will you do about that?
Old 10-13-2016, 08:46 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

^ When it gets wet, I drape the cover over a few of the chairs on our front porch. Dries pretty quickly under normal conditions...T
Old 10-14-2016, 04:32 PM
TGRichards
AutoX

Ok, thanks, all. I ordered a cover from carcoversusa.com, and had to cancel when they couldn't give me either a delivery or production commitment. Instead now I've ordered a "Noah" Block It cover, and I'm waiting for delivery.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:35 PM
FZP
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I would rather protect the car with regular cleaning and waxing/hydrophobic sealant. The reason being is that a car cover is great in a static environment. When you add wind to the equation, dust will get onto the paint and the cover will grind those into the paint as the wind blows, where the cover touches resultis in micro scratches.
If you search car cover scratches, there are loads of pics and description
Old 10-16-2016, 01:00 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Used Noah covers from Car Covers Direct on my 997 for 10 1/2 years of outdoor parking. Paint is pristine. Keep car clean and waxed, roll cover on and off. Car is silver which helps no doubt but then black will be hard no matter what you do. Cost under 200$, I get a few years of 24/7 outdoor parking in NY out of a cover. Noah is the best material for outdoor multi seasonal weather. No affiliation but they are good to deal with and fast to your door free delivery.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:14 PM
TGRichards
AutoX

Originally Posted by FZP
I would rather protect the car with regular cleaning and waxing/hydrophobic sealant. The reason being is that a car cover is great in a static environment. When you add wind to the equation, dust will get onto the paint and the cover will grind those into the paint as the wind blows, where the cover touches resultis in micro scratches.
If you search car cover scratches, there are loads of pics and description
So, say more about "hydrophobic sealant?" (That's a sealant that's afraid of water?)

Is there a brand you like/have used successfully?

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2016, 08:21 PM
TGRichards
AutoX

Originally Posted by gpjli2
Used Noah covers from Car Covers Direct on my 997 for 10 1/2 years of outdoor parking. Paint is pristine. Keep car clean and waxed, roll cover on and off. Car is silver which helps no doubt but then black will be hard no matter what you do. Cost under 200$, I get a few years of 24/7 outdoor parking in NY out of a cover. Noah is the best material for outdoor multi seasonal weather. No affiliation but they are good to deal with and fast to your door free delivery.
Thanks for the Noah Block It endorsement. And, now for the rest of the story: I've been using the cover from my 2010 GTI while waiting for the the 911 cover to arrive. And guess what I discovered? That GTI cover I've used and been quite happy with is a Noah Block It cover! Duh?! And, I've had the same experience you describe; great cover at a reasonable price.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:03 AM
FZP
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TGRichards
So, say more about "hydrophobic sealant?" (That's a sealant that's afraid of water?)

Is there a brand you like/have used successfully?

Thanks!
The product that was recommended to me by my detailer was Sonax Langzeit Lackschutz. I wash, claybar (if neccessary), polish paint and glass. Then apply rainx to the windows(excluding front window) and sonax to paint. Net result is super slippery surface that water struggles to rest on. I used to get upset when my car got wet after washing, but now I get a sick sense of satisfaction watching the water bead off

Quick Reply: Cover for my 997.2?