Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pop Noise from under Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016 | 06:58 PM
cutlass476
Racer

Default Pop Noise from under Car

The noise I am about to describe does not occur consistently, rendering its occurrence even more annoying. Sometimes when pulling out of a sloped driveway or encountering a mid-corner bump during a slow turn, I will hear what sounds like a dull "pop" that sounds like it is coming from underneath the car right through the floor panel.

It's as if a mounting point for a some type of structural brace shifts or a subframe mount shifts. I know it's not normal because it started within the last 10k miles.

Any help would be most appreciated.
Old 09-30-2016 | 07:36 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

I think I know what you are describing. I have been chasing a similar (or maybe the same) noise for over 1 year now and my mechanic ensures me that everything is tight without play in the front a few months ago when I ask him to check AGAIN

But now it get colder, the noise comes back. The clunking noise only happens when (1) the temperature is below 59 and when (2) the front end is under load [braking] and (3) turning on a (4) bumpy road surface. All 4 conditions have to be presence for the one clunking (pop) noise to happen.

I finally got fed up with it today that I ordered the left swaybar droplink just to test out my suspicion that it is causing the problem. I am having it installed next week so I will report back to see if it fixes the problem.
Old 09-30-2016 | 09:00 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

I used to get it pretty regular during the first few minutes of driving in the morning which involves several low speed turns and a dip through a driveway transition.

I changed two habits and for the most part they are gone. When I pull into the garage, I would put in a good turn to the right after the rear tires cleared the garage floor transition and put the right side front within a few inches of the right wall, all for driver door opening clearance. I would then set the parking brake with the PDK in park but foot full on brake.

I my theory is that parking the car overnight with right steering in and the parking brake set, I was locking the drive train wound up and the suspension and steering soft components into a long term unnatural position.

So now when I pull in, the last few inches I turn the steering wheel back straight ahead, and now I release my brake and let the car ease back a little and then set the parking brake.

Seems of have made a difference.

Last edited by CAVU; 10-02-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-30-2016 | 09:26 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Just my .2, but check your brake duct plates (plastic) and other plastic shielding under the engine, had a similar noise and it was a misaligned piece of plastic (not Porsche car). Car made a clunk on braking.
Old 09-30-2016 | 10:13 PM
Linnm
Pro

Have someone look at motor and transmission mounts
Old 10-02-2016 | 04:49 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Linnm
Have someone look at motor and transmission mounts
This. I would apply the E Brake and try to move the car forward and in reverse. This will put strain on the motor mounts. If you hear a clunk, you are in business.
Old 10-02-2016 | 11:11 AM
JCD911S
Racer

Your strut bearings may be going out. The front coil springs twist as they compress. So when going up and down driveways, it's a situation where clunks can manifest if there's any binding.
Old 10-09-2016 | 07:56 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lowbee
.....I finally got fed up with it today that I ordered the left swaybar droplink just to test out my suspicion that it is causing the problem. I am having it installed next week so I will report back to see if it fixes the problem.

So I had the left swaybar droplink replaced 5 days ago and I haven't once hear the "pop" noise return. Today it is 50 degree F here in Toronto and I just came back from an extended test drive hitting bump braking and turning, I am not hearing the "pop" noise anymore. So I am convinced that my "pop" noise is gone by replacing the droplink.

There was no visible/detectable defects in the droplink that was replaced and my mechanic check for play as well as torque tightest before the replacement but couldn't find anything wrong.....so if your existing droplink looks good, it really doesn't mean it is not the source of the noise. Good luck in finding your 'pop"

Old 10-10-2016 | 04:41 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

In my old 911SC I used to get a pop noise that would happen going around corners, I could swear it was coming from underneath the car up front somewhere.

Turns out it was a loose rear sway bar drop link.

Quick Reply: Pop Noise from under Car